Windows 10: Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does

Discus and support Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does in Cortana to solve the problem; What the title says. I've checked the 'index properties and file contents' box in the advanced options for indexing. I have rebuilt my index at least 2... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by LurkedLurkingLurker, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does

What the title says. I've checked the 'index properties and file contents' box in the advanced options for indexing. I have rebuilt my index at least 2 times. I thought that my indexing was not working - but it does. I know this because I can search for file contents through the file explorer and things would show up, but files do not show up when searching through the Start bar search. Is this normal behaviour?

:)

LurkedLurkingLurker, Oct 18, 2021

2. Index search in File Explorer

Hello,

I suggest you to try the below step to see if it resolves the issue.

If the index can't find a file that you know exists in an indexed location, you might need to rebuild the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt.

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the
    Start button
    and then clicking Control Panel. In the
    search box
    , type indexing options, and then click
    Indexing Options

2. Click Advanced. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the
    Index Settings tab
    , and then click Rebuild. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Reference:

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support.

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support.

Hope this helps to resolve the issue. Please revert for any clarification on this or any Windows issue. We will be glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 18, 2021
  3. Xi Zhuang Win User
    File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access

Windows 10 version 20h2

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open file explorer

2. type something in search box

3. clear search box

4. click search box again, you will see a drop down list showing recent search history

5. click the Quick access which is located at the top of file explorer Navigation pane

6. click search box again, it does not show the history list anymore

I have to close file explorer and open it again to get the search history back.

Xi Zhuang, Oct 18, 2021
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does

File Explorer - Search box

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Go to Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
    Troubleshooting. Click View all, and then click
    Search and Indexing.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to reset the Windows explorer. Please follow the steps:

1. Press
    Ctrl + Shift + Esc and locate for Windows Explorer.

2. Right click on the
    Windows Explorer and click on End task.

3. On top of the Task Manager click on
    File and click on Run new task.

4. Type
    explorer.exe inside the box and hit Enter.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Oct 18, 2021
Thema:

Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does

1. Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does - Similar Threads - search box does

2. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  3. Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer: When I search for "File Explorer" in the search bar on my Windows 10 device the one in the bottom left corner, File Explorer does not show up. The best match feature shows me "File Explorer Options" in the Control Panel, rather than the File Explorer app. Yes, I know I can...
  4. Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer: When I search for "File Explorer" in the search bar on my Windows 10 device the one in the bottom left corner, File Explorer does not show up. The best match feature shows me "File Explorer Options" in the Control Panel, rather than the File Explorer app. Yes, I know I can...
  5. Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer

6. Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does: What the title says. I've checked the 'index properties and file contents' box in the advanced options for indexing. I have rebuilt my index at least 2 times. I thought that my indexing was not working - but it does. I know this because I can search for file contents through...
  7. Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does

Windows search box does not show indexed files - file explorer does: What the title says. I've checked the 'index properties and file contents' box in the advanced options for indexing. I have rebuilt my index at least 2 times. I thought that my indexing was not working - but it does. I know this because I can search for file contents through...
  8. Windows 10 Update 1909 file explorer search box does not show text input

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Update 1909 file explorer search box does not show text input: Since updating to 1909, as soon a a character is typed in the file explorer search box the blue arrow appears but no text. The search does work though and what you typed, blind, appears in the history. I think the Address ribbon is too big and the search box is too small....
  9. In the latest updates to Windows 10 the file explorer does not show a search dialog box.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In the latest updates to Windows 10 the file explorer does not show a search dialog box.: Where is the search dialog box in file explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-the-latest-updates-to-windows-10-the-file/5589b688-78b2-4edf-a033-8233f9634f38"
  10. File Explorer search does not execute

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search does not execute: A relative simple search such as: type:xlsx datemodified:last month type:xlsx datemodified:last month Does not execute. Please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-does-not-execute/3cb7f4ef-980f-454f-9297-56048daa35ee"