Windows 10: Windows Search cannot find new installed application

Discus and support Windows Search cannot find new installed application in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, recently I observed that, the windows search fails to index my new installed application. This applies for both desktop application as well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bbbhh, Jan 17, 2017.

1. bbbhh Win User

Windows Search cannot find new installed application

Hi all,

recently I observed that, the windows search fails to index my new installed application. This applies for both desktop application as well as application installed from windows store.
    The search still works for application which were installed from before. I have tried to rebuild the search index multiple times, disable and start the search services, but none of them fixed this. In the "Start menu" folder, I can find all the shortcut "lnk". The shortcuts for each new installed applications are created, but oddly windows search cannot find these. Does anyone have a suggestion how to resolve this problem. Thanks in advance.

With bests,

:)

bbbhh, Jan 17, 2017

2. Search can`t find a new installed applications.

Hi,

Have you tried creating a new user account? If not, try creating a new user account, then check if the issue persists. To create a new user account on your computer, kindly follow the appropriate steps in this article:

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    . If the issue doesn't persist on the new user account, it would signify that your current user profile is corrupted.

Kindly get back to us once you've checked if the issue also occurs in a new user account.

Joshua Her1, Jan 17, 2017
  3. dadmay Win User
    Search can`t find a new installed applications.

Only the solution described below helps me, but I'm tired of repeating it.

Type this in the command line as administrator:

rd C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy /s

That's what I mean:

Windows Search cannot find new installed application [​IMG]

Please let me know if this can be fixed.

Windows specifications:

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1709

OS Build 16299.192

* A new, clean installation with a flash drive.

The standard Windows fixes do not work for me, as does the disabling/enabling of the search service or the index rebuild.

dadmay, Jan 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you tried the search and indexing troubleshooter?

E.g. Settings, search Troubleshoot, click View all in the CP dialogue, select the troubleshooter.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2017
  5. bbbhh Win User
    I have already tried it. No issues were found though.
    Below is the screenshot of my current folders that are indexed. Is it comparable to the default setting? Am I missing some important locations?

bbbhh, Jan 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 17, 2017
  7. bbbhh Win User
    I tried the tutorial you mentioned, but it didn't help either.
    As for the locations, on the second thought, I think the most relevant folder for this issue is the "Start Menu" folder containing "lnk" shortcuts, which is indexed. It is strange that the application from windows store is affected too. Do you know how the search work for these store apps, where is the location for these?
    Another question: in your "indexing options". If you go to "advanced"/"File Types", how does your "lnk" filetype look like?
    Do you have other ideas that I can try out?

bbbhh, Jan 18, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Start menu shortcuts that appear in Win 10's start menu are here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Try this:
    Open Indexing options and that folder and ensure both are visible simultaneously.
    Note the number of items indexed.
    Add/create a new shortcut in
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    See if the number increments (and check the shortcut appears in your start menu).

dalchina, Jan 18, 2017
  9. bbbhh Win User
    the number increments, but the new shortcut does not appear in the start menu. It means the indexing is correct. So the problem should be after that. I'm not sure, how the "search" or "start menu" read new entry. I think, we are narrowing down the issue. Do you have any idea how to proceed further from here?

bbbhh, Jan 18, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, suggest you try creating a new user for test purposes and comparison.
    Try installing one of the programs with which you are experiencing difficulty

dalchina, Jan 18, 2017
  11. bbbhh Win User
    It works with a new user. But, I don't think it is related to the program I was trying to install.
    A new problem also arose with the new user, the search field freezes quite often. Not sure what to do next?

bbbhh, Jan 18, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    With your original user try this:
    Fix Windows 10 Start menu problems with Microsoft's new troubleshooter tool

then also try this as a mater of routine before the next step
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

then
    from an elevated command prompt
    sfc /scannow

That's just to establish a base line and do a basic check for consistency.

My personal view of the start menu: avoid it. Use Classic Shell - something that actually works and works better, and which is actually capable of representing a large categorised start menu properly (which Win 10's can't).

dalchina, Jan 18, 2017
  13. bbbhh Win User

I did all the checkdisk and sfc once. Everything is fine, which is why I found it really weird. I have tried a couple of things without success before posting the question here.
    I know about classic shell, haven't tried it though. The reason I try to fix start menu search is because I use this while commuting, basically everyday, I just want to get the most out of the battery as possible, which is why I tend to use built-in solution as far as I can. Do you have any experience about power consumption of classic shell? just eager

bbbhh, Jan 19, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Quite understand wanting to fix it. Good those basic checks passed.

Did you also try the start menu repair tool in my previous post?

The power consumption of a largely passive process such as a start menu is minimal. When not displayed it does nothing. There is a brief scan after logon to update its database (so you can search the start menu), which is probably the most processor intensive activity other than installation. I would suggest things like screen brightness, or active tiles on Win 10's start menu would be more significant. There are larger peaks of CPU use using Win 10's start menu (expect more with more active tiles).

dalchina, Jan 19, 2017
  15. bbbhh Win User
    I tried the start menu repair tool, it didn't fix the problem. Do you have further ideas?
    I think, I would give it a try with classic shell.

bbbhh, Jan 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Search cannot find new installed application - Similar Threads - Search cannot find

2. Cannot find windows install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find windows install: I am moving ssds and I used dd to clone my old one to my new one. Then I used chkdsk to fix the clone of any errors since the first one was half dead and was failing nonstop. Now I wanna use bootrec to rebuild the bcd so I can boot in, but I can't it can't find the windows...
  3. Cannot find windows install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot find windows install: I am moving ssds and I used dd to clone my old one to my new one. Then I used chkdsk to fix the clone of any errors since the first one was half dead and was failing nonstop. Now I wanna use bootrec to rebuild the bcd so I can boot in, but I can't it can't find the windows...
  4. Windows Search not finding newly installed applications.

in Cortana
    Windows Search not finding newly installed applications.: So whenever I install a new application, windows search doesn't show it up when I search for it. But other than that, everything works fine for example, if i create a new text document in my desktop, it shows up. But new installed apps doesn't show up. Any fix?...
  5. Windows Search not finding newly installed applications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not finding newly installed applications.: So whenever I install a new application, windows search doesn't show it up when I search for it. But other than that, everything works fine for example, if i create a new text document in my desktop, it shows up. But new installed apps doesn't show up. Any fix?...
  6. Windows Search not finding newly installed applications.

7. Windows cannot find application files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows cannot find application files: When I try to open any Office application or Nemo, Windows tells me it cannot find the relative application file. When I look for the file in question, it is invariably there in its proper location. This problem started all of a sudden, and I never had it before....
  8. Windows 10 Error Message - Cannot find newly installed applications

Windows 10 Error Message - Cannot find newly installed applications: Just downloaded Adobe Acrobat DC. Installed successfully. When I launch the application or try to open associated pdf documents, receive following message. Uninstalled, reinstalled application with same result. [ATTACH] Have observed this is also happening with other...
  9. Search cannot find files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search cannot find files: I have hundreds of videos but when I try to search for them by using IN this PC the Kind:=video command the search come up empty. It simply cannot find anything I ask it to search for. I do not want to use third party search applications. I just want it to work. Does anyone...
  10. Start menu search not finding applications?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search not finding applications?: Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by searching in the start menu. If i search for outlook or word in the start menu nothing shows up, this was not an issue in...