Windows 10: Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer

Discus and support Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer in Cortana to solve the problem; This is a fresh install of Windows as of maybe 2 weeks ago, on a brand new system. I've been getting pretty annoyed because searching from the start... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by mrmattsir, Dec 24, 2020.

1. mrmattsir Win User

Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer

This is a fresh install of Windows as of maybe 2 weeks ago, on a brand new system. I've been getting pretty annoyed because searching from the start menu just won't give me the results I'm looking for. All installed programs refuse to appear, and most settings i.e. searching for 'display', 'bluetooth', etc don't show either.

Here are some screenshots to show what I mean. In the first one, you can see I have Adobe Photoshop installed on my computer, and its icon is showing in the start menu.

Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer 4dd66536-1ad9-471c-8c43-4c2fb5317454?upload=true.png

However, if I search for "photoshop", the only result is a web search. No matter how I reword my search, the application just doesn't appear in the search results.

Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer b1d6aab7-979d-442d-a137-5b983c811826?upload=true.png

This is happening for all applications I've installed. Discord, Blender, Steam, etc. You name it. None of them appear when searching.

Some things DO appear, though. Most pre-installed windows apps seem to appear, like the Settings app, Camera, Calculator, Weather, etc. Also, when I said earlier that MOST options in Windows Settings like 'display', 'bluetooth' don't return any results, oddly some DO, like 'mouse', 'keyboard', and 'update'.

Another odd thing, I have a couple of windows store apps installed: a speed test app, and twitter. Previously they would show up when searching, but after running a reindex today, they now don't appear in the results anymore. nice.

Additionally, the search bar in the Settings app doesn't work either. If I open the Windows Settings app and try to search for 'display' in the searchbar at the top, it will show the searching animation for maybe 20 or so seconds and then say "no results for display."

I've run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter, and it doesn't seem to be of much help either. I check "files, folders, apps, or settings don't appear in results" and the troubleshooter tells me it found a problem: "windows search is not working". Then it prompts me to try again as an administrator. After doing that, it tells me the problem is "fixed". But there is no change, applications still don't show in the search results. And if I run the troubleshooter again, it just says "windows search is not working" again. So I guess the "fix" isn't really doing much.

So what have I tried?

• I've rebuilt the index on several occasions with no luck 28,000-30,000 items indexed, Start Menu and Users folders in Included Locations
    • I've run sfc /scannow; it once found an issue and fixed it, but no change to the indexing. Running it again says no issues found.
    • I've run the Indexing troubleshooter, it falsely tells me the problem is "fixed" each time
    • Verified the Windows Search service is running and set to start automatically delayed
    • Verified "Background Apps" is on in Windows Settings
    • Some have said disabling Cortana fixed search issues for them, but I don't think I ever had Cortana enabled in the first place.

I'm feeling like the only option left is to try and reinstall/repair windows itself... but that just feels like such a painnnnn. I just installed it, shouldn't it just work? Feels like every article just says to restart, reindex and run sfc scannow. I'm really hoping there is some other kind of solution out there.

:)

mrmattsir, Dec 24, 2020

2. How to find program on computer?

I'm puzzled over why I can't find a program by searching, no matter what words I use, although the program is plainly there on the Apps & Features page in Settings.

It's Logitech SetPoint 6.69. I used it when I installed it and want to make changes but I can't find it in the Cortina search function.

It's also listed on the "Uninstall or Change a program" page in Programs and Features. The computer can't find it by searching for it, so how do I access it?

Any suggestions, please?

Larry

larrydonline, Dec 24, 2020
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Dec 24, 2020
  4. Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer

1. Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer - Similar Threads - search can't find

2. Can't find any programs in start menu after reinstalling Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't find any programs in start menu after reinstalling Windows: Yesterday my entire C: drive corrupted and I had to reinstall Windows. Since then I am no longer able to find programs on my other drives by searching the start menu. I checked the indexing settings and made sure it was indexing my other drives too, but it still wouldn't find...
  3. CAN'T FIND MY ANY INBUILT DICTIONARY IN MY COMPUTER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN'T FIND MY ANY INBUILT DICTIONARY IN MY COMPUTER: I have upgraded to the latest version of windows 10 but I'm not able to find the in-built dictionary which should enable me click or highlight a word to get a quick meaning of a while reading a document either on PDF etc. in my system. so please how do i find and get...
  4. can't install any program on my computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't install any program on my computer.: i have tried almost everythin i can but my computer keeps complaining about " The feature you are trying to use is on a network resourece that is unavailable"[ATTACH] i have been trying to find the folder that starts with {FAAD7243 but it does not exsists. Would be very...
  5. Windows Search Can't find "Programs and Features'," and other items.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Can't find "Programs and Features'," and other items.: Hi all, For ages I've been unable to search for "programs and features" and other control panel items through Windows Search, but not all of them. I figured that after updating to the most recent windows feature update, something might reset to resolve this problem but to no...
  6. Windows cannot find any of my Microsoft programs

Windows cannot find any of my Microsoft programs: Hi there, Help please!! I heard that there were numerous issues after the KB4556799 install such as Word documents being deleted, so I was wary to update, but I did on the 31st of May. Happily, nothing happened. Then yesterday, do my dismay, while I was doing research on...
  7. Help I can't find the "Search" in windows settings!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help I can't find the "Search" in windows settings!!!: So I am watching a video where on one step you have to go to settings and click search but i can't find it. Here is the thing I am wanting to do: https://youtu.be/A8CLiTUTcp4?t=228 submitted by /u/CyberLuka098 [link] [comments]...
  8. Can't find a program on my pc

Can't find a program on my pc: Trying to do update for Windows 10 and I am being told to uninstall a program that I can not find on my pc. The program is Avira AntiVir, it doesn't exist that I can find.... anyone able to help me?...
  9. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  10. Computer boots but can't launch any programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer boots but can't launch any programs: My brother's computer, which is running Windows 10, has got major problems. It boots up okay but he can't launch any programs after the boot cycle is finished. When he tries to launch an app from his desktop, nothing happens. He can right-click and see Task Manager but it...