Windows 10: Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu

Discus and support Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello fellow Windows 10 users! I've upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. Everything is fine and Windows are working very smooth and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MKlegoman357, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu

Hello fellow Windows 10 users! I've upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. Everything is fine and Windows are working very smooth and nice. But there is one thing that really bothers me: Windows Search (including Cortana) does not find links to programs inside the Start Menu.

Now before you ask, I have re-built the Windows Indexer. Several times. I've also checked to see that .lnk files are being indexed. The Start Menu Folders (inside the c:\\Program Data\ and c:\\users\[username]\App Data\) are both being selected as index locations. Actually, the search is able to find folders inside the Start Menu files, but not the files themselves.

It is really bothering me, as I've been using this search feature in Windows 7 quite a lot to quickly launch any program I want.

Thank you in advance.

:)

MKlegoman357, Aug 19, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Tirthanu Win User
    Windows Search completely broken.

Hi Anil,

It seems you've not read my post properly.

I have no issues with either start menu or Cortana. It's the Windows search that does not work.

Tirthanu, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu

Here's some video proof of what's happening and what's not.

Copy.com

5. Don't know about any 'bump'ing policy, but it seems my post is sinking down quite fast.

6. Same here. Annoying.

jonathanljs, Aug 22, 2015
  7. And I thought that I'm the only one having this issue. I'll try to keep this thread updated with any info I can gather.

MKlegoman357, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu

1. Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu - Similar Threads - Search Cortana working

2. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu cortana search not working along with others: hp laptop with windows 10. start menu wont open, search wont work, settings wont open, system properties wont open, display settings wont open. tried to restart windows explorer, didn't change. tried sfc scannnow, nothing changed. Cortana does not appear in task manager....
  3. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu cortana search not working along with others: hp laptop with windows 10. start menu wont open, search wont work, settings wont open, system properties wont open, display settings wont open. tried to restart windows explorer, didn't change. tried sfc scannnow, nothing changed. Cortana does not appear in task manager....
  4. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working: So I logged on my pc And i noticed all icons in task bar are gone so when i try to click the start menu its not working And when i put my cursor on the search My cursor becomes the loading thingyI tried restarting file explorer and it didnt workHelp...
  6. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  7. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  8. cortana / search not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cortana / search not working properly: Spent all day with new laptop getting it setup. Apart from some hiccups all gone well but one glitch. Cortana works pretty much fine but the search facility isn't working properly. Say I want to 'create a restore point'. I'll type 'res' and it gets found by Cortana as per the...
  9. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451
  10. Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working: Have the Anniversary edition. Suddenly the start menu and Cortana have stoped working. As has right click menus on the start bar? It was okay after the initial install?? Have tried several restarts but no change. Dan 60994