Windows 10: Windows search defaults to Edge

Discus and support Windows search defaults to Edge in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi, When using the windows search function it uses Bing through the Edge browser. How do I change the default for this function to Chrome using the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Kevin Wellens, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Windows search defaults to Edge

Hi,

When using the windows search function it uses Bing through the Edge browser. How do I change the default for this function to Chrome using the google search engine?

Chrome is currently set as the default browser and under default application by protocol search isn't mentioned Cortana?

This basically renders the entire windows search function for me useless as it is right now?

Kind Regards

:)

Kevin Wellens, Nov 27, 2020

2. changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Rico Novice, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Cecil_IL Win User
    changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Tried this 26 Nov 2015 to make Google.com my search engine and received report "Couldn't add this provider"

Cecil_IL, Nov 27, 2020
  4. Windows search defaults to Edge

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows search defaults to Edge

1. Windows search defaults to Edge - Similar Threads - search defaults Edge

2. Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing: Hello,I really like the Edge browser even tho the updates during the last year made things worse.However, what really annoys me is edge keeps asking to update my settings to use bing as the default search engine. Is there a way to prevent or disable this?...
  3. Edge automatically searches with yahoo. It's not my default.

in Cortana
    Edge automatically searches with yahoo. It's not my default.: Lately whenever I search on edge it automatically searches with yahoo even though my default search engine is bing. I check it, it says my default is bing and when I type in the address bar it says search with bing but then it brings me to yahoo. Nothing I've found helps and...
  4. Can Edge Beta be set as default for taskbar searches?

in Browsers and Email
    Can Edge Beta be set as default for taskbar searches?: Edge stable is fine but what if we want the beta version as default for searches via the taskbar "box"? Can it be done? - - - - - Windows 10 pro. 170945
  5. Edge crashes when google used as default search

in Browsers and Email
    Edge crashes when google used as default search: When I set google to the default search in setttings/privacy/address bar, Edge crashes when I enter the 2nd character in the URL field. When I change it back to bing it works correctly. Win10 V 19041.388 Edge 84.0.522.49 161689
  6. remove bing as the default search engine in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove bing as the default search engine in Microsoft Edge: This has been asked till the cows come home but the answers are scripted and never tested before the response to the question. I know that bing is an integral part of the Edge browser. I create my own search engine in the list but bing won't allow my search engine to be used....
  7. Search opens Edge despite default browser not being Edge.

in Cortana
    Search opens Edge despite default browser not being Edge.: If I click the Start button on my keyboard and start typing, the start menu is eventually going to show me a "Best Match". If I click the "Best Match" when it's a website, Edge will start, loading Bing results for whatever I've entered as a search term. Three things wrong...
  8. Search defaults to MS Edge

in Cortana
    Search defaults to MS Edge: My default browser setting is Firefox but when I choose "search the web" option in search I get a response in the Edge browser. Is there a way to reset this? Thanks in advance for a response. Fred...
  9. MS Edge: Search Engine defaults to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge: Search Engine defaults to Bing: Hi, This morning, MS Edge defaults to Bing as the search engine even though the default setting is set to Google. I can't get it to default to Google, even though I am able to manually select Google as the search engine. How can I check if this is a problem with MS Edge or...
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...