Windows 10: Windows Search Does Not Expand on One Machine, but fine on the other.

Discus and support Windows Search Does Not Expand on One Machine, but fine on the other. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas as to why one of my computers doesn't expand the search area. I've only seen this on this machine. All... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jza, Aug 14, 2020.

1. JZA
    Jza Win User

Windows Search Does Not Expand on One Machine, but fine on the other.

Hello. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas as to why one of my computers doesn't expand the search area. I've only seen this on this machine. All Windows 10 machines from work or at home never have showed this behavior. I still have all the functionality, I can right click the "Best Match" to run as administrator, but I'd prefer those options to show up on the right as well like it does in the expanded view. Both "Search" have the same build number. Both machines are Win10Pro 2004. All the search settings I've checked match. I usually solve these things myself but I'm having trouble with this one.

This is my first time posting on this forum so I will post some screen captures to illustrate the issue. First is the normal EXPANDED search area that I expect to see and would like to see.

Windows Search Does Not Expand on One Machine, but fine on the other. [​IMG]

Next is the search on the machine with the minor issue where it does not expand. I noticed it doesn't have the "ALL" option anywhere at the top. Confused that the build is the same but both look different regardless of settings matching and same Windows 10 version 2004.

Windows Search Does Not Expand on One Machine, but fine on the other. [​IMG]

I've tried a powershell script from Microsoft to reset Search to no luck. Cortana was uninstalled from both machines. Thank you for any ideas.

:)

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 14, 2020
  3. Melvis Win User
    PC Cant Obtain a IP Address, Need some advice!

Step 1: Click START button
    Step 2: In the Search area, type "regedt32" (of course don't include the ""), right click on the search result and "Run as Administrator".

Step 3: Click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", should expand out to a list of stuff
    Step 4: Next choose "SYSTEM", should expand again
    Step 5: Choose "CurrentControlSet", expands again
    Step 6: Choose "Services", expands to a super large list of stuff

Step 7: Click on "Dhcp", the right window will show the files in that folder
    Step 8: Double click on "DependOnService"
    Step 9: Delete all the words in text area, except "Afd", and click OK. You are done here

Step 10: Next under "Services", look for "EapHost", this should be a few folders below Dhcp Step 11: Same thing, double click on the file "DependOnService"
    Step 12: Delete everything in the text are and click OK. You are done.

Now, close everything and RESTART WINDOWS. Your WLan should be back and working once your computer starts. Hope this saves you like it saved me. Thanks to original poster for the wonderful resolution. Your post was almost too obscure to find, but I'm glad this is SOLVED! I'll be spreading the word around to save people from the constant agony of WLAN SVC going balistic every time after a registry cleanup."

THIS^ FIXED IT!! yay thanks everyone!!

Melvis, Aug 14, 2020
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

1. Windows Search Does Not Expand on One Machine, but fine on the other. - Similar Threads - Search Does Expand

2. new machine trying to install a Bigpond email address. Does one but not the other. Will not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new machine trying to install a Bigpond email address. Does one but not the other. Will not...: trying to instal Bigpond email account in outlook. Will do one but not the other. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-machine-trying-to-install-a-bigpond-email/17b453a7-94af-4b78-96ec-328ae1b20d6c
  3. new machine trying to install a Bigpond email address. Does one but not the other. Will not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new machine trying to install a Bigpond email address. Does one but not the other. Will not...: trying to instal Bigpond email account in outlook. Will do one but not the other. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-machine-trying-to-install-a-bigpond-email/17b453a7-94af-4b78-96ec-328ae1b20d6c
  4. Why would one instance of windows work fine, and the other one crash with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why would one instance of windows work fine, and the other one crash with...: Last week I accidentally downloaded a faulty driver. Every time I go to start up, I'm greeted with The Blue Screen and in it is says Critical_Process_Died. I tried everything to recover it, but nothing worked. So I downloaded a new instance of windows and put it on my hard...
  5. Why would one instance of windows work fine, and the other one crash with...

Why would one instance of windows work fine, and the other one crash with...: Last week I accidentally downloaded a faulty driver. Every time I go to start up, I'm greeted with The Blue Screen and in it is says Critical_Process_Died. I tried everything to recover it, but nothing worked. So I downloaded a new instance of windows and put it on my hard...
  6. Why would one instance of windows work fine, and the other one crash with...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Game for windows live, working on one machine but not the other :S

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game for windows live, working on one machine but not the other :S: Hello people I have two computers, an old laptop and a new desktop, both running windows 10. Battlestations Pacific is the game that i am trying to run on the new one. On the old computer it runs perfectly fine since 2018 without any issues from the 'games for windows...
  8. Unable to use remote desktop from other windows machine but IOS is fine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to use remote desktop from other windows machine but IOS is fine: I've been using remote desktop for a long time to remote into my desktop at home and give it encoding jobs and the like. But as of late for some reason my Laptop is unable to connect. It can see the machine and even show the correct user name when trying to connect but after...
  9. OneDrive autoloads on one machine, not the other

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive autoloads on one machine, not the other: I have OneDrive installed on both my desktop and laptop. Both are running Win 10. Whenever I restart the laptop (a Surface Pro), Onedrive starts with Windows. But when I restart the desktop, it does not. I have to pick it from the start menu and start it manually. What's...
  10. Goove Music on 2 machines - one shows album art, the other does not

Goove Music on 2 machines - one shows album art, the other does not: I`ve got my music on a network share, and I have 2 windows 10 machines with Groove installed on them pointed to that share. One machine shows the album art for the music perfectly. I can delete the library and re-create it, and still the album art appears exactly as it...