Windows 10: Windows search doesn't always work

Discus and support Windows search doesn't always work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sometimes when I search forsomething from the start menu, windows finds nothing, even if the program is installed on my computer. e.g if I search for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Cerawy Win User

Windows search doesn't always work

Sometimes when I search forsomething from the start menu, windows finds nothing, even if the program is installed on my computer. e.g if I search for "Warcraft 3" windows will say that it found nothing even though the game is installed on my C drive. This is the case with many other programs/games as well.

Solution: Use indexing options to rebuild the search index.

:)

Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017

2. E72 - Contacts quick search doesn't work correctly

That method doesn't work for me. Still can't find most contacts in Contacts app.

Search application works fine but it always worked fine.

fduch---01, Sep 3, 2017
  3. backlog Win User
    Cortana doesn't always work

After a reboot, Cortana works fine. Responds to "Hey Cortana" answers with voice etc. After a while when I say Hey Cortana I get back "can't connect to the internet now". My internet connection is fine. If I reboot again Cortana is back - again for a while.
    What is going on?

backlog, Sep 3, 2017
  4. Windows search doesn't always work

Instead of struggling with Cortana and Windows Search my preference is to use third party software.
    Everything and UltraSearch can search one or more drives if wanted, with UltraSearch you can very quickly include and exclude drives from the search
    Both are small, fast, reliable, very efficient and free
    Both have portable versions (which I use) so you can test them without installing them.

Everything Search
    UltraSearch

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Sep 3, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Eagle51 posted this fix for search problems last week - may be worth a try? Also, check your indexing option in Control Panel include the folders you want to index.

Try resetting the Search Index by doing the following.
    Open regedit and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search change SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 0 and reboot PC.

Steve C, Sep 3, 2017
  6. roy111 Win User
    I also have search probs but there is no SetupCompletedSuccessfully should i add the key?

forget about it, i found it

roy111, Sep 3, 2017
  7. Cerawy Win User
    Im not sure if Im doing it right but I have checked include systemfolders, compressed files (ZIP,CAB) and search always for file names.

Will try them out and come back with the results.

OK, so I just tested both of these programs, and they find everything that windows doesn't find, so windows search is definitely buggy. Still, I would like to fix windows search so I can search from the start menu, I have been doing that for years and Im used to doing it that way.

Cerawy, Sep 4, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Does Warcraft 3 appear in Win 10's Start Menu? And does it appear in the same folder as the other shortcuts that are indexed?
    Have you tried this option (top left?)

Windows search doesn't always work [​IMG]

Bear in mind that Cortana search seems limited to what's been indexed- for deeper search it refers you to file explorer.

Want a problem free start menu? Use one that really works. Classic Shell (free) which also uses Windows search and is customisable.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    Classic Shell is excellent. I configure it so mouse hover opens Classic Shell and left click opens the Windows Start Menu. That way you have access to both menus but I normally use Classic Shell. Classic Shell search works fine.

Steve C, Sep 4, 2017
  10. xpclient Win User
    Yes Classic Shell's search is better as well as its menu navigation and all of its amazing customization. There are now many reasons to use it - the Windows 10 menu is worse at everything if you do an objective comparison.

xpclient, Sep 4, 2017
  11. Have you by any chance disabled the "let apps run in the background"-setting in your privacy settings? Doing that will cause problems for search and indexing.

AncientNoodles, Sep 4, 2017
  12. Cerawy Win User
    This caused windows to crash and I coudn't recover windows again. I tried literally every solution offered by windows and windows didn't want to coorporate. System recovery, restoring to a previous version, etc. I have been working really hard yesterday and today to try and get windows working again from scratch.

It could also be because I misclicked and accidentally deleted a wrong registry key, my mouse is acting up lately so misclicks happens sometimes.

I have been using classic shell for about a year, its amazing and I cannot stand the horrible design of windows 10 in general, so I'm using classic shell with xp luna theme instead.

Cerawy, Sep 5, 2017
  13. Steve C Win User

The registry fix worked for me. You do need to be very careful in editing the registry and ensure you have a system backup. Many on the forum including me recommend Macrium Reflect Free.

Steve C, Sep 5, 2017
  14. roy111 Win User
    Thanks you resolved my search problem!

roy111, Sep 5, 2017
  15. Cerawy Win User
    Yes, I just did. I tried searching for slimdrivers, shows nothing. I check in my programs folder and slimdrivers is right there.

Cerawy, Sep 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows search doesn't always work - Similar Threads - search doesn't always

2. Search doesn't work in windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search doesn't work in windows 11.: I upgraded my desktop from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and many problems came out.One of the big issue is that the search doesn't work as expected.I could type the text into the search bar, but none of my apps or documents showed up.I tried reinstall the system but still doesn't...
  3. Windows search doesn't work.

in Cortana
    Windows search doesn't work.: This issue caused me to upgrade my pc from version 20H2 to 21H1. This issue occured earlier and I sought help from Microsoft community. They told me to do scans like, sfc /scannow, DISM scans. Since nothing worked, I had to upgrade my pc. Now it is back again!! Every time...
  4. Search doesn't work

in Cortana
    Search doesn't work: For a while now, seemingly after the May update, the search icon/box doesn't doanything. The thing is, it works on different user... What I tried: taking ownership of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data and adding full control for my user account rebuilding index...
  5. Search doesn't work

in Cortana
    Search doesn't work: Hi guys, windows search doesn't work since I received May 2020 update. I tried a bunch of solutions such as troubleshooting, resetting etc. They did not work. If anyone knows how to cope with it I would really appreciate some help. Thanks![ATTACH]...
  6. Search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search doesn't work: Basically the title Windows-wide search stopped working for me about a month or 1.5 ago. I can't use the searchbar, I can't use the Windows Explorer search or the search in any of the settings menus / any other menu, basically, no Windows Search at all. It just won't let me...
  7. Keyboard doesn't work in "Search Windows"

in Cortana
    Keyboard doesn't work in "Search Windows": When i try to search on 'windows search' my keyboard does not work, it works in google and in anything else but not in 'windows search' Please Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-doesnt-work-in-search-windows/2683c56a-29fc-4468-add2-3a7f21b8f976"
  8. Windows search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search doesn't work: Hello Microsoft, Is there an update in the works for your file search function? It is absolutely terrible at the moment - even when I type in the exact file name in Explorer search, it can't find it! The OS is otherwise solid, but this is a massive, massive fail. I'm...
  9. Shift key doesn't always work

in Windows 10 Support
    Shift key doesn't always work: So this issue only happens intermittently and there is no rhyme or reason for it [say, works after a reboot then goes out after awhile], it's completely random, as you can see, I was able to capitalize the beginning of this sentence, and the "I" awhile back, and it's working...
  10. Windows 10 Search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Search doesn't work: Hi there The Search doesn't work properly whether done via Brink's method (using the Charms and getting the search bar up) or searching using the menu search. (You can use file explorer but if I just want to find a file I shouldn't have to use that given there IS a...