Windows 10: Windows Search Enhanced Mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Windows Search Enhanced Mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft plans to launch a new search feature in the first feature update for Windows 10 in 2019 -- Windows 10 version 1903. The new Enhanced Mode... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows Search Enhanced Mode in Windows 10

Microsoft plans to launch a new search feature in the first feature update for Windows 10 in 2019 -- Windows 10 version 1903. The new Enhanced Mode option of Windows Search was launched in the most recent Windows 10 Insider Built that is already pushing features that may find their way into the next feature update.

While Windows 10 users are still waiting for Windows 10 version 1809 to release, or re-release, work on the next feature update continues.

Tip: check out WizFile or Everything Search for faster file searches.

What is Enhanced Windows Search mode?

Windows Search Enhanced Mode in Windows 10 windows-search-enhanced-mode.png

It is necessary to understand how search works on Windows to understand how Enhanced mode differs from the default search mode that Microsoft calls classic in Windows 10 version 1903.

Classic search indexes certain locations on the operating system such as the libraries or items that are placed on the desktop. Users may add or remove locations from search; Indexing means that Windows adds filenames and content of supported files to a database to speed up searches. The built-in search still finds files not in indexed locations but it takes longer.

Enhanced on the other hand indexes all locations of the PC.

Search your entire PC, including your libraries and desktop. Customize excluded search locations below. Choosing this option may reduce your battery life and increase CPU consumption.

Microsoft notes that Enhanced has an impact on battery life and that it may increase CPU consumption when indexing operations run.

How to enable Enhanced Search

Note that you need Windows 10 version 1809 to configure Enhanced Search.

1. Use Windows-I to open the Settings application on the Windows 10 PC.
    2. Go to Search > Searching Windows.
    3. Switch from Classic to Enhanced (Recommended) under Find My Files.

Enhanced search is activated immediately. Windows Search will index all hard drives, locations and files on the system with the exception of locations listed under Excluded Folders on the same Settings page.

Add any path that you don't want indexed by Windows Search there.

Closing Words

Enhanced Search makes it easier to configure Windows Search to index all locations. You can achieve the same result by checking all locations in Search Indexing, however but Enhanced may still have the edge here for some users as it includes new devices and locations automatically.

Now You: Do you use Windows Search?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows Search Enhanced Mode in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Nov 8, 2018
  4. EarthDog Win User

Upgrading to Windows 10 from windows 7 and losing internet connection

When trying to search for a driver on that motherboard, it doesn't say Windows 10 on it. My suggestion would be to get a NIC card of some sort that is known to work with the OS (most).

EarthDog, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Search Enhanced Mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Search Enhanced Mode

2. Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search: Hi,I'm trying to remove folders from the "Exclude folders from enhanced search" and its all the time closes the window and crashes.I checked the event viewer and noticed the failure but don't know how to figure it out....
  3. Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search: Hi,I'm trying to remove folders from the "Exclude folders from enhanced search" and its all the time closes the window and crashes.I checked the event viewer and noticed the failure but don't know how to figure it out....
  4. Enhanced Session Mode question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Enhanced Session Mode question: I have a vi-Boot created W10 system that has "Enhanced Session mode" set. Yet when I attempt activate it, the "Enhanced session" is grayed out in the VIEW menu. Is this caused by something that vi-Boot causing ? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks 165219
  5. Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode: Hi, I've recently enabled hyper-v on my Windows 10 pro system that's updated (June 2019). I've seen that enhanced session mode is available for both the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and the Ubuntu 19.04 templates from the "quick create" menu. This has the ability to access local...
  6. How to enable Enhanced Mode in Windows 10 Search

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable Enhanced Mode in Windows 10 Search: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft has included an Enhanced Search Mode in Windows 10 v1903. Compared to the Classic Mode, Enhanced search mode indexes everything on your Windows 10 PC. In this post, we will share how you can enable Enhanced Search mode in [...] This post How to...
  7. Microsoft reveals how the new Windows 10 Enhanced Search feature works

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals how the new Windows 10 Enhanced Search feature works: Windows 10’s 2019 update codenamed 19H1 is all set to improve the search feature that has always been widely used by the users. Microsoft recently confirmed that the company is working to address the issues that users have experienced with the built-in search tool and improve...
  8. New Enhancements to Bing Custom Search

in Windows 10 News
    New Enhancements to Bing Custom Search: Today we are happy to announce the release of additions and enhancements to the Bing Custom Search product. These new additions will enable developers and non-developers to further harness the power of the web by allowing them to build an even more powerful and customizable...
  9. Enhanced Session Mode

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Enhanced Session Mode: I have Windows 10 Build 10041 and created a VM in Hyper-V using a Windows XP SP3 iso. After initial setup, Windows XP is missing many drivers, including network so I can't copy driver files to the VM. Is there a way to enable usb support or anything else that will allow me to...
  10. Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10 Indexing the content of your PC helps you get faster results when your searching it for files, emails, or other local content....