Windows 10: Windows search, file explorer search, and windows store not working

Discus and support Windows search, file explorer search, and windows store not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So for a couple of days now the search option next to cortana hasn't been working. It'll open for barely a second and immediately close. And maybe it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Stormy-Winds, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Windows search, file explorer search, and windows store not working

So for a couple of days now the search option next to cortana hasn't been working. It'll open for barely a second and immediately close. And maybe it's been like that for longer than I've known but I found out today that the search option in file explorer also isn't working. When I try and type it shows the typing cursor for a second and then this gray box covers the entire search box and the typing cursor dissapeared and it never lets me type anything. It makes that error noise when you can't press a button when I try and press keys.

And the Microsoft store opens, and I can look at stuff and search, but when I try to select an app and look at it it closes. And I found this out by attempting to open the Microsoft version of minecraft. It just kept closing without any box even popping up. It seems to be any apps from Microsoft store can't be opened and any app can't be looked at any more than what I can see when I search or browse through without opening anything.

I had checked for updates a couple times before because I've been having problems connecting to the internet with my new modem(I think it's because my wireless card is 8+years old at this point) and I attempted an update to fix it and so maybe I downloaded an unstable version? When googling I didn't find anything that described the same problems I have, just similar things like windows updates breaking the search and stuff but instead when they went to type a letter it would close. Im probably gonna attempt to reinstall an previous, more stable version if there isn't any other fix to this.

submitted by /u/Stormy-Winds
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Stormy-Winds, Sep 4, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer search tool not working

I have tried all the above steps but I am unable to find and search a file with email address as search key.

Please help.

Regards

Dr. Saleem Siddiqi

Dr Saleem Siddiqi, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Windows search, file explorer search, and windows store not working

Windows File Explorer Search

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are having issue in File explorer search option. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Windows 10 Version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Have you tried restarting your computer?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to refer these methods and check.

Method 1:
    Restore File Explorer to default.

1. Open File Explorer and click on
      View tab from the top.
    2. Click the arrow below
      Options
      and select Change folder and search options.
    3. Under General tab, click on
      Restore Defaults.
    4. Click Ok and relaunch File Explorer.

Method 2:Run Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file tool

Please refer the suggestion as mentioned in this article for troubleshooting the issue:
    Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file
    and folder problems

Method 3: Fix problems in Windows Search

Please refer the suggestion as mentioned in this article for troubleshooting the issue:

Fix problems in Windows Search

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows search, file explorer search, and windows store not working

1. Windows search, file explorer search, and windows store not working - Similar Threads - search file explorer

2. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Cortana
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  3. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  4. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. search & file explorer search not working

in Cortana
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  6. search & file explorer search not working

search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  7. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  8. Windows search & file explorer search not working

Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  9. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Windows Search / File Explorer Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search / File Explorer Search Not Working: I have been having a problem on my search window on both windows start and file explorer. Everytime i try to type something to search the search bar wont respond or it just not do anything at all. my search wont show up or the text im typing is not showing up. Tried several...