Windows 10: Windows Search / File Indexing problems

Discus and support Windows Search / File Indexing problems in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It's been a while since I've been on TenForums. So, I built my system originally in 2012 on an already semi-old MSI board with an AMD Athlon II x4 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Silverhand92, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Windows Search / File Indexing problems

It's been a while since I've been on TenForums.

So, I built my system originally in 2012 on an already semi-old MSI board with an AMD Athlon II x4 and 8GB of RAM.

As time has progressed, the OS has been upgraded from Windows 7, to 8, to 8.1, to 10, and the system has retained its MOBO, Processor and RAM,but has gained some harddrives over the years.
    It's now a mixed gaming/data-cloning machine (with its IDE and SATA III interfaces on the board, I can clone customer's harddrives in a jiffy.)

I'm currently running Windows 10 Professional Build 1909, x64.

On the other hand, I'm running into an issue....

My system's C: drive doesn't seem to be indexing properly, nor does my D: drive.
    I want indexing on C: disabled, but it doesn't seem to go away. And when I'm looking for files on D: it doesn't seem to find them.

All that seems to be indexed is the files I have on OneDrive, and some files on C: (And I keep getting web results as the top returns from my searches on the system, which annoy me to no end when I'm looking for local files.)
    I want to have indexing disabled for the other drives because I don't want the PC searching the masses of files I've cloned from customer's files when I have their HDD hooked up.

Can anybody give me some answers on how to fix my system's indexing? And possibly tell the Windows Search to look locally before returning web search results?

Edit:

I think I've somewhat fixed the indexing for pulling up local file results, but I'm getting REALLY annoyed with getting web results when I'm looking for local files first. If there's a way to prioritize search locations, I need to know.... *sigh.*

:)

Silverhand92, Dec 3, 2019
  2. NovatoN Win User

Windows 10 not displaying search results for indexed shortcuts in a folder.

Thanks Deepika,

I had tried running this troubleshooter before, but I've just run it again with "Files don't appear in search results" and "My problem isn't listed above" ticked, and it comes up with "Issue not present" against all potential issues, and "Troubleshooting
    couldn't identify the problem", even after troubleshooting as an administrator.

I'd be glad of any other suggestions please!

NovatoN, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Jan Del Win User

Windows Search / File Indexing problems

Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Windows Search / File Indexing problems

1. Windows Search / File Indexing problems - Similar Threads - Search File Indexing

2. There are some problems with Windows Search and Indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There are some problems with Windows Search and Indexing: Hello guys,I'm asking about some problems with Windows Search and Indexing. For some words and terms, mine will not be very actual as I'm not a native English speaker. Sorry.1. Condition- Computer hardware: Normal spec i5-10400, RAM 16G, Gforce 1030, SSD storage- O/S: Windows...
  3. Windows Search Indexer Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Indexer Problem: I got a problem with the windows search indexer service and its driving me nuts!Search Index uses a lot of my cpu causing my laptop to lag, so i tried turning it off like what i saw in a video but when i turned it off my keyboard and mouse goes CRAZY! When i press a link it...
  4. Windows Search Indexer Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Indexer Problem: I got a problem with the windows search indexer service and its driving me nuts!Search Index uses a lot of my cpu causing my laptop to lag, so i tried turning it off like what i saw in a video but when i turned it off my keyboard and mouse goes CRAZY! When i press a link it...
  5. Windows Search Indexer Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Search and Indexing Problem

in Cortana
    Search and Indexing Problem: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Single Language... And I'm unable to type in certain apps such as window search the Mail app, Sticky Notes while I'm able to type in some apps such as Notepad... I had to open Notepad to type and copy from there and paste to the apps that I want to...
  7. Search and Indexing Problems in Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search and Indexing Problems in Windows: I am not able to do searches in Windows. I have tried to rebuild the index or manually rebooting the system. When I try to do searches I type but the letters don't show...
  8. Problems with Windows search (Indexing)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems with Windows search (Indexing): I have a problem with Windows Search not detecting additional storage. It was working before, it detected my extra storage hdds. But after a restart it's now not detecting any of them except a small empty 2.5" HDD. I have tried to disable/enable the indexing, with...
  9. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  10. Search & Index problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Search & Index problem: Hi, I have installed a program called Windows10 Manager. It has sub-program executables (independent of the main program) [img] I want to quick access them pressing the windows key and start typing their name which invokes suggestions. I have specifically indexed only...