Windows 10: Windows search finds files but will not open them

Discus and support Windows search finds files but will not open them in Cortana to solve the problem; Windows 10 search finds all the files I am looking for, but when I click on any of them either nothing happens, or if it's a folder, only an Explorer... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by bill smythe, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Windows search finds files but will not open them

Windows 10 search finds all the files I am looking for, but when I click on any of them either nothing happens, or if it's a folder, only an Explorer windows opens up to location "This PC". If I restart the search service, it will work properly for a few hours/days, and then its broken again.

Help!

:)

bill smythe, Apr 5, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 5, 2019
  3. Unable to find PDF files.

Hi Yvonne,

I appreciate your efforts and time.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Go to Search and type the Adobe files and open those files.
    • Then go to the location where those files have been saved.

For reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Windows search finds files but will not open them

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows search finds files but will not open them

1. Windows search finds files but will not open them - Similar Threads - search finds files

2. Search/Find opening up automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search/Find opening up automatically: I am facing issue with search in my Windows 11 laptop. It opens up automatically without hitting CTRL + F. Sometimes, when this happens, I check for windows update, browser updates. When I update, it does fix up. However this time, after updating to KB5022845 of Windows 11...
  3. Search/Find opening up automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search/Find opening up automatically: I am facing issue with search in my Windows 11 laptop. It opens up automatically without hitting CTRL + F. Sometimes, when this happens, I check for windows update, browser updates. When I update, it does fix up. However this time, after updating to KB5022845 of Windows 11...
  4. Windows Search Not Finding Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Not Finding Files: Windows 10 Version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042,1052) I've always had problem with searching files. If I "search this PC" and type in a folder or file name, nothing ever comes up. It just says "working on it" forever as the little bar moves. If I search a specific folder, sometimes...
  5. Windows Search not finding file that IS there!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search not finding file that IS there!: Hi, I'm very confused.. I am looking for any files on my computer that have "Hybrid - Analog Women" in the name, no matter what the file extension is. I know for a fact that there is one called Hybrid - Analog Women.nksn on one of my drives yet it is returning "No items match...
  6. Windows Search finding files but not showing file location

in Cortana
    Windows Search finding files but not showing file location: Running Windows 10 Pro. When I search in a folder, the search comes up with a number of files. These files have names, size info, type info etc., but don't have an icon and don't show a folder path or location. This only appears to be a problem on a shared network folder;...
  7. Search cannot find files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search cannot find files: I have hundreds of videos but when I try to search for them by using IN this PC the Kind:=video command the search come up empty. It simply cannot find anything I ask it to search for. I do not want to use third party search applications. I just want it to work. Does anyone...
  8. Cannot open programs upon searching for them

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open programs upon searching for them: Okay this has been going on for a while and I've dealt with it up until now, but I want to get it fixed just so I don't have to use the back door to initiate a program. Whenever I search for a program (like cmd, run, control panel), the program shows up in the search...
  9. Searching, but why can't I find them?

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching, but why can't I find them?: I have folders that contain daily files of data from my router. I have been trying to files named ConnectionStats that are followed by a date, so the full nam would be for example: ConnectionStats-yyyy-mm-dd-hh.mm.ss. Searches on ConnectionStats-yyyy succeed if the yyyy is...
  10. Search not finding all files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not finding all files: Hi everyone, We recently purchased two new Acer PC's running Windows 10 on a HDD. We also bought a SSD for each device which I then cloned the HDD to the SSD to decrease startup time. Please note that since cloning I have not formated or deleted any data on the HDD and the...