Windows 10: Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive

Discus and support Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive in Cortana to solve the problem; Dear Community, when I use the Windows-Button to search for e.g. Word or PDF documents, Edge is opened with a OneDrive link. The website tells me that... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by exceluser_123, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive

Dear Community,

when I use the Windows-Button to search for e.g. Word or PDF documents, Edge is opened with a OneDrive link. The website tells me that the file is not available. Is it possible to open the file locally in the Explorer?

Thank you very much for the answer!

:)

exceluser_123, Dec 29, 2019
  2. Andrii T Win User

Search always opens locally available OneDrive files in browser

Hi everyone!

I have been using OneDrive/SkyDrive/Mech for about 10 years now. Yet using it with windows 10 gets problematic.

I bought a new PC half a year ago and switched from Win 7 to 10.

With
    OneDrive on Windows 10 I come across issues when I search for documents stored in OneDrive. After clicking the document in the search results, Windows always opens the document in the browser, regardless the document type. When I try to use the "open
    folder" it opens the OneDrive folder in the browser. Feels like the search is performed in the cloud, rather than on my PC. This is so inconvenient and problematic! For example, there is an 'abc.xyz' document in my OneDrive. When I type in 'abc.xyz'
    in the task bar search box the document does not instantly appear in the search results, as used to be with Win 7, I have
    to select 'Find results in documents' button, only then the document shows up in the search results. Finally, when I click on the document I am redirected to my browser, which inexplicably
    opens OneDrive webpage (???) with the document, offering me to download
    the file. Yet I have locally installed app to open *.xyz files by default and the option
    Files on-demand in my OneDrive client is disabled!!! This is such a ridiculous behavior!

I want to open and edit my documents using my local machine software in an instant, and not being forced to open files in the browser.

I recently clean installed the latest version of windows 1803, and the search behaves exactly the same way, no matter what

Is there a way to restore a regular search-and-open-in-the-default-app behavior?

Andrii T, Dec 29, 2019
  3. Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hello everyone!

I have a lot of documents stored on OnDrive that I conveniently use on different computers.

My problem arises when I search for documents stored in OneDrive that are also locally available in Windows 10:

Windows only opens the documents only
    in the browser (i.e. word online), even when I try to use the "open folder" it opens the OneDrive folder in the browser. This is especially problematic with password protected documents, which cannot be opened online. The only solution so far is to open windows
    explorer and search there, making the whole process longer and more inconvenient.

This behaviour renders Windows 10 search, however great it might be, utterly useless to myself. I want to edit and use my documents on my local machine in an instant, not being forced to do everything in the browser. If I wanted to do that, I would go for
    Chrome OS anyways.

Is there a way to search, open & edit local documents stored in the OneDriver folder in the normal Windows 10 search using local apps by their normal default, not the browser?

Elias Eckert, Dec 29, 2019
  4. Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive

Avoid getting OneDrive search results for local files

In Windows 10, how can I avoid getting search results that link to files online in OneDrive (and open a web browser when you click them) when those files also reside locally? I want just the local files, so that when I choose a result, the local app opens.

For background, here the problem report I submitted via the Windows 10 Feedback app:

Edward Brey, Dec 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive

1. Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive - Similar Threads - Search documents should

2. My Documents is linked to OneDrive instead to the local folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Documents is linked to OneDrive instead to the local folder: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10, and during the setup process clicked by mistake that I want files to be saved to OneDrive. After successful installation I decided to remove the OneDrive feature and discovered that I am not able to change the My Documents location to a...
  3. My Documents is linked to OneDrive instead to the local folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Documents is linked to OneDrive instead to the local folder: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10, and during the setup process clicked by mistake that I want files to be saved to OneDrive. After successful installation I decided to remove the OneDrive feature and discovered that I am not able to change the My Documents location to a...
  4. My Documents is linked to OneDrive instead to the local folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Documents Folder is set to One Drive instead of locally

Documents Folder is set to One Drive instead of locally: On my new computer, if I right-click my Documents folder under "This PC", I see that it is set to the OneDrive folder. But need my documents available offline too and want it the way it was with my old computer. There it would save locally and send a copy to OneDrive.How can...
  6. Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document: Two days ago before I upgraded to Windows 11, when I did a search in the search bar at the bottom left hand of my screen, I could right click on any of the documents and then open the folder that the document was located in. How do I get this ability back in Windows 11? This...
  7. Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document

Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document: Two days ago before I upgraded to Windows 11, when I did a search in the search bar at the bottom left hand of my screen, I could right click on any of the documents and then open the folder that the document was located in. How do I get this ability back in Windows 11? This...
  8. Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally: Files on demand is turned on so I don't why this is still an issue. If I browse the oneDrive folder in Explorer then the files open locally. Windows search shows the following field: Location OneDrive:\<NAME\_OF\_FOLDER> submitted by /u/YasZedOP [link] [comments]...
  9. Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app

Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app: When I search for a file in Cortana that I have stored in OneDrive and stored locally on my computer it REFUSES to open the locally stored file in the default app and instead opens it in the garbage OneDrive website in my browser! For instance, I have a collection of PDFs...
  10. Documents Folder is in OneDrive instead of on Hard Drive

Documents Folder is in OneDrive instead of on Hard Drive: I have an issue that I think is being caused by the simple fact that my documents folder is in OneDrive instead of on my computer's hard drive. I don't want OneDrive and I don't know how this happened because everything (in my opinion) should default to save on the hard drive...