Windows 10: Windows search function won't work

Discus and support Windows search function won't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A couple of nights ago I used the Windows search function from the start icon to find the Windows snipping tool. As soon as I started typing "snipping"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jezza819, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Jezza819 Win User

Windows search function won't work

A couple of nights ago I used the Windows search function from the start icon to find the Windows snipping tool. As soon as I started typing "snipping" it of course started looking for things and brought them up in the box above.

But last night I went to do the same thing I clicked the Windows icon and started typing and the box opened above but it was solid black. You can type anything in there and the same thing happens, solid black box. After you type something in there you can hit enter and nothing happens either.

What could have happened?

:)

Jezza819, Sep 27, 2019
  2. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

3. djolson Win User
    Windows 10 Search not working, Build 10240 After Sysprep

I work in a school district and have started testing Windows 10 and making images. The problem I am having is that after setting the computer up and sysprepping it to be deployed on other computers, when I put it on another computer the search function and cortana don't work at all. I can see the search at the bottom left, but clicking on it does nothing. The start menu works fine (I have seen posts where someones start menu does't work in conjunction with the search not working). It is just the search function that will not work. Below are the steps I use to customize the computer...

1. Install Windows 10 from cd
    2. Enter Audit mode with CTRL + SHIFT + F3 after installation to customize
    3. Customize the computer the way I want it
    4. Sysprep the computer (sysprepe.exe /oobe /shutdown /generalize /unattend:myunattendfile)
    5. Capture the image.

I have done this two different times now (full installs and customized), and both times the search function is broken after putting the image on a computer. I do not even see cortana listed anywhere in the C:\Programfiles\WindowsApps. I have tried running the suggested command "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest*.xml"}" and it doesn;t fix the search function. Windows key + S doesn't do anything either. Has anyone experienced this issue? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Dustin

djolson, Sep 27, 2019
  4. Windows search function won't work

cortana won`t talk to me

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    • Is the Language and region settings set to valid value?
    • Check and verify if Cortana available in your region?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Cortana & search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Hope this information helps, let us know the status of the issue

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows search function won't work

1. Windows search function won't work - Similar Threads - search function won't

2. Windows Search function not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search function not working: On my Win 11 PC the search is not working. When I click on the search icon in the lower left, nothing happens. If I click on the Windows key and then try to type in the area which says "Type Here to search" nothing happens except that a Win 11 app is highlighted.Please advise...
  3. Windows Search function not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search function not working: On my Win 11 PC the search is not working. When I click on the search icon in the lower left, nothing happens. If I click on the Windows key and then try to type in the area which says "Type Here to search" nothing happens except that a Win 11 app is highlighted.Please advise...
  4. Search function not working

in Cortana
    Search function not working: Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something in the file explorer or just by pressing windows key and typing.I have tried to solve it for the past couple hours, tried...
  5. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function not working: Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something in the file explorer or just by pressing windows key and typing.I have tried to solve it for the past couple hours, tried...
  6. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. windows 11 search function not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 search function not working: I have been having a problem since upgrading to windows 11, neither the search function i.e. the magnifying glass on the taskbar nor the search box in file explorer, are working correctly. If I attempt to search in file explorer, I just get a big repeating pop up search box...
  8. Search function not working,...

in Cortana
    Search function not working,...: I only have 1 account on my PC and I realized that from some time ago the search function was unable to search settings or other windows functions, only files, and I did what the internet told me to do and navigated to...
  9. Searching function not working

in Cortana
    Searching function not working: Hello, My PC is in Win10. While I would like to open an app e.g calculator, I push win key then type "Calculator" but the searching box doesn't show anything like it does before: [ATTACH] How to fix this?...
  10. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function not working: Hello, When I type anything in the search, nothing shows up. really frustrating, what can I do to fix it? Thanks 28935