Windows 10: Windows Search ... how to live with it?

Discus and support Windows Search ... how to live with it? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I'm new to this forum, but (of course) not new to Windows - I've used every flavour from Windows NT4 up to Windows 10, as an application developer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by kskaug, May 5, 2020.

1. kskaug Win User

Windows Search ... how to live with it?

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but (of course) not new to Windows - I've used every flavour from Windows NT4 up to Windows 10, as an application developer.
    This post has a bit of a rant-like character (I'm sorry), but I'm hoping you can share some insights about Windows Search, so I can understand better how Windows Search is inherently limited and what bits could be improved by tweaking.
    Windows Search is by default based on the Indexing function, which trawls your file system day and night and keeps a huge database ... in short, a resource (energy, CPU time and storage space) waster. For me, that's a no-go. I turn Indexing OFF, and expect Windows to carry out case-by-case (non-cached) search requests for me, e.g. when I type something into the Search box in Explorer, a search-from-scratch in current folder (and subfolders) should be done without prior cached knowledge. In all but the very simplest cases, however, this has become an impossible task for Windows Search. It cannot live without indexing. In the good old days, you could at least search based on file/folder names only, it would give you complete results within milliseconds. Now, it assumes the user is too lazy or dumb to identify file content based on file name only, so this option (do NOT search file contents/metadata) is not even available for Windows search (to speed things up).
    Simple Test Case:
    For a simple test case, I created a small text file "File_A.txt" and put it in a shallow directory tree:
    \Temp\Test_find\Top_Folder\Middle_Folder\Folder_A\File_A.txt
    ... then populated the Test_find\Top_folder area with a few dozen random files and folders.
    Navigating then back to \Test_find in Explorer and enter "File_A" in the Search box, it found File_A.txt immediately.
    As I'd expect, it identifies by file name, clean and simple.
    But then, if I go and "hide" the same File_A.txt deeper in the quite elaborate hierarchy of my personal archive folder (238GB worth of photos, videos, mp3 files and documents, 73 thousand files, 4800 folders), and I go to the top folder and look for "File_A.txt", the search fails utterly and completely. The green progress bar never goes to completion.
    In comparison, if I use the command prompt in the same location and type "dir File_A.txt /s" then it finds my file within milliseconds.
    Sorry for the long text, but can someone tell me how to "normalize" Windows Explorer search without enabling Indexing?
    thanks, Kristofer

:)

kskaug, May 5, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 5, 2020
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, May 5, 2020
  4. Windows Search ... how to live with it?

Windows Live Mail 2012 Closes Right After Opening

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps you regarding the Windows Live Mail 2012.

• Press Start button, type programs and Features.
    • Search for Windows Live Mail 2012. select Uninstall/Change.
    • Select Repair and follow the steps and check if it helps you.
    keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows Search ... how to live with it?

1. Windows Search ... how to live with it? - Similar Threads - Search live

2. How to change the "No items match your search" text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the "No items match your search" text: this text on my PC is really bothering me, I have to cover my screen every time I search for something in File explorer AND when I save or open a file in a program. I absolutely f!#*in' hate this text to death, and could someone tell me a way to change it? if there is a way,...
  3. How to change the "No items match your search" text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the "No items match your search" text: this text on my PC is really bothering me, I have to cover my screen every time I search for something in File explorer AND when I save or open a file in a program. I absolutely f!#*in' hate this text to death, and could someone tell me a way to change it? if there is a way,...
  4. Cannot type in Windows 11 Search Box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in Windows 11 Search Box: Hi, I got problem on Windows 11 that i can't type in search box. instead when i press a charracter in keyboard it work like hotkey to the apps pinned to start.For Example, Edge is pinned to start, so when i press E it will highlight the Edge App. plus when i click the search...
  5. You can remove Edge and Bing Search on Windows 11 even if you don't live in Europe

in Windows 10 News
    You can remove Edge and Bing Search on Windows 11 even if you don't live in Europe: Microsoft announced this week that users in the European Economic Area will soon be able to remove Bing and Edge from Windows 11. Users from all European Union countries as well as those from Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein will also be able to disable some ads and gain a...
  6. Restore Live Search to Windows Explorer

in Cortana
    Restore Live Search to Windows Explorer: Is there a way to change the search from the drop down menu format image 1 to the original live search image 2? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] The issue is the same as covered in the following link...
  7. Windows 10 Instant Results Live Search Removed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Instant Results Live Search Removed: It would be most helpful for Microsoft to revisit this function that allows users the ability to live search as it would greatly improve productivity while using windows. If this is not an option can you recommend a 3rd party application that would replace Microsoft file...
  8. Windows Live Search in StartMenu not working even after troubleshooting

in Cortana
    Windows Live Search in StartMenu not working even after troubleshooting: My Windows Search in startmenu used to work fine. Suddenly one day it failed to work and the place where the files you search for is displayed in searchmenu came out blank. I tried troubleshooting with System&Security troubleshooting option but it cant identify the problem....
  9. Lens in Google Images search now live on mobile web in U.S.

in Windows 10 News
    Lens in Google Images search now live on mobile web in U.S.: On Google’s 20th anniversary last month, we announced updates to make Google Images a more useful place to explore the web through images. One of the ways we’re doing this is by bringing Lens to Google Images. We launched Lens to help you do more with what you see. People...
  10. Windows Live Mail only searching email subjects, not email contents

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail only searching email subjects, not email contents: I didn't notice this before today. I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 10 Pro, fully up to date, as well as the latest version of Windows Live Mail. I have a bunch of storage folders that I've created for email, so my actual inboxes are pretty much always empty as any...