Windows 10: Windows search ignores folder names in start menu

Discus and support Windows search ignores folder names in start menu in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I know this was lost a while ago but I miss it. A lot of significant data may be in the folder name. Folder: Microsoft SQL Server tools 18 which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dma550, Dec 7, 2020.

1. /u/dma550 Win User

Windows search ignores folder names in start menu

I know this was lost a while ago but I miss it. A lot of significant data may be in the folder name. Folder: Microsoft SQL Server tools 18 which contains "profiler". Folder: Microsoft SQL Server tools 17 which contains also contains a shortcut "profiler". For me, I want to search "tools 18" and see the proper folder, then be able to select what is under it. I tried some old shells to see if I could get back the love but it doesn’t seem like I can. Does anyone have a remedy?

submitted by /u/dma550
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dma550, Dec 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Carlos: Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have been doing. I search for folders with a specific name and get a list. Then I have to search each folder for a specific file. So it's a two step search and that's what I was trying to avoid.

I assume there are applications out there that allow for an "AND" search in Windows. I'll try that approach.

Thanks, again.

MarkMcDonough45, Dec 7, 2020
  3. How do ya add to window start menu?

Make a Start menu shortcut to it in the All Programs section. Then drag it to the top left of the original Cascade menu. (Where windows update normally is).
    lol @ folder name

theonetruewill, Dec 7, 2020
  4. Windows search ignores folder names in start menu

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

Windows search ignores folder names in start menu

1. Windows search ignores folder names in start menu - Similar Threads - search ignores folder

2. How to Ignore Folders By Name In Window Indexes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Ignore Folders By Name In Window Indexes?: Hi there, I'm Indexing my entire location for quick search.The problem is I want to remove all folder ".github" and items inside it from my indexes.Is that anyway to do it?In the Image I had imported, you guys will see many .git folder, and it make me want to hide them all....
  3. is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?: For example, I have a folder called "Asus" in my start menu that has about 8 asus apps in it. I want to be able to search for "Asus" in the search bar to get to it quicker (not having to click the start button and scroll down), but the search bar finds nothing for "Asus". It...
  4. Search in start menu

in Cortana
    Search in start menu: Hi. I have recently switched from my windows 10 PC to my windows 10 laptop. I don't know of any software differences, so I do not know what may be the cause. When using my windows pc, I often quickly open the start menu to search something up by just starting to type in the...
  5. windows 10 search for applications in the start menu with letters contained in the name of...

in Cortana
    windows 10 search for applications in the start menu with letters contained in the name of...: Hello, when I use windows search widows 10 version 1909 I cannot find an application by typing letters in the middle of the name: for example I can find the application Wireshark by typing "wir" and then it appears , but when I search "shark" or "*shark" or "iresh" or any...
  6. Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search: Greetings, When I search with the start menu open after the recent major update it opens a new window. This is atrocious and I want the searching to take place inside the start menu. Is this at all possible? Thanks in advance // 139419
  7. windows 10 start menu folder name "Unknown"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 start menu folder name "Unknown": After installing my application in windows 10, I found that the application was installed successfully in the folder C:\Users\myName\AppData\Local\myApp However, the folder name of my application is wrongly defined as "Unknown" instead of "myApp" in the start menu as...
  8. windows start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    windows start menu search: i can't seem to see that windows finds simple "apps"\(programs)" like the blizzard app, twitch app etc... is there some setting that enables me to do this? so far i narrowed it down to the indexing of files. maybe that'll do something. every time i search for "twitch"...
  9. Can't delete a folder named "start menu"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete a folder named "start menu": I copied the (highly configured) start menu folder from an old computer to a new computer. After using this folder to help configure the new computer I want to delete it. Win10 won't let me.*Sad Is there a solution to this problem? 31620
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...