Windows 10: Windows search in explorer doesn't work properly

Discus and support Windows search in explorer doesn't work properly in Cortana to solve the problem; since one of the latest updates of windows 10, search doesn't find keywords inside .pdf-files anymore. Tried troubleshooting, but finaly get stuck... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Tom-y-a, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Tom-y-a Win User

Windows search in explorer doesn't work properly

since one of the latest updates of windows 10, search doesn't find keywords inside .pdf-files anymore.

Tried troubleshooting, but finaly get stuck with this troubleshooting report:

Search and Indexing Publisher details

Issues found

Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directoriesIncorrect permissions on Windows Search directories

When permissions on the Windows Search data directories are set incorrectly, the search service might not be able to access or update the computer's search index. This can result in slow searches or incomplete search results. Not fixed Not Fixed

Restore correct permissions on Windows Search directories Completed

Windows Search is not workingWindows Search is not working

You can't enter a search or you get incomplete search results. Fixed Fixed

Restart the Windows Search app. Not run

Potential issues that were checked

Search Filter Host process failedSearch Filter Host process failed

Problems with the Search Filter Host might indicate errors in the Windows Search service, which can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results. Issue not present

Windows Search service shut down unexpectedlyWindows Search service shut down unexpectedly

When the Windows Search service is forcibly shut down while performing maintenance, searches might fail or return incomplete search results. Issue not present

Windows Search service shut down unexpectedlyWindows Search service shut down unexpectedly

When the Windows Search service is forcibly shut down, searches might fail or return incomplete search results. Issue not present

Windows Search service not runningWindows Search service not running

When the Windows Search service is not running, searches might be slower and you might not be able to find all items. Issue not present

Windows Search service failedWindows Search service failed

Problems with the Windows Search service can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results. Issue not present

Search Protocol Host process failedSearch Protocol Host process failed

Problems with the Search Protocol Host might indicate errors in the Windows Search service, which can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results. Issue not present

Issues found Detection details

5 Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories Not fixed Not Fixed

When permissions on the Windows Search data directories are set incorrectly, the search service might not be able to access or update the computer's search index. This can result in slow searches or incomplete search results.

ErrorData directory permissions

Permissions on Windows Search data directory

Restore correct permissions on Windows Search directories Completed

Restore correct permissions on the Windows Search data directories.

6 Windows Search is not working Fixed Fixed

You can't enter a search or you get incomplete search results.

Restart the Windows Search app. Not run

Reset the Windows Search process SearchUI.exe, remove any Windows Search cache files and folders and clear any Recent activity.

Potential issues that were checked Detection details

Search Filter Host process failed Issue not present

Problems with the Search Filter Host might indicate errors in the Windows Search service, which can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results.

Windows Search service shut down unexpectedly Issue not present

When the Windows Search service is forcibly shut down while performing maintenance, searches might fail or return incomplete search results.

Windows Search service shut down unexpectedly Issue not present

When the Windows Search service is forcibly shut down, searches might fail or return incomplete search results.

Windows Search service not running Issue not present

When the Windows Search service is not running, searches might be slower and you might not be able to find all items.

Windows Search service failed Issue not present

Problems with the Windows Search service can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results.

Search Protocol Host process failed Issue not present

Problems with the Search Protocol Host might indicate errors in the Windows Search service, which can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results.

Detection details Expand

InformationalDirectory

Windows Search data directory

Directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\

InformationalDirectory

Windows Search data directory

Directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\

InformationalUser-reported problems

Problem Type: FilesMissingProblem

ResourceUsageProblem

InformationalUser-reported problems

Problem Type: FilesMissingProblem

ResourceUsageProblem

Collection information

Computer Name: CRECOCON-02

Windows Version: 10.0

Architecture: x64

Time: 31 March 2021 12:13:53

Publisher details Expand

Search and Indexing

Find and fix problems with Windows Search

Package Version: 1.0

Publisher: Microsoft Windows

Search and Indexing

Find and fix problems with Windows Search

Package Version: 1.0

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

:)

Tom-y-a, Mar 31, 2021
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Windows search in explorer doesn't work properly [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Mar 31, 2021
  3. Windows Edge still doesn`t work correctly

Hi Graham,

Thank you for posting your reply.

I suggest you to run the 'Internet Explorer Performance' troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type 'Troubleshooting' in the search box and press Enter.
    • Click on View All on the top left pane.
    • Click on Internet Explorer Performance and follow the on screen prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 31, 2021
  4. Windows search in explorer doesn't work properly

Double Tap doesn`t work on Lumia 620

Hello,

Double Tap to wake doesn`t work at my Lumia 620. I have all on in settings but still doesn`t work. I`m pretty sure that in update AMBER or BLACK this function works properly. But after DENIM update doesn`t. Maybe you are planning some update for this future
    ?

Thanks

Mariusz

MariuszBluma, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

Windows search in explorer doesn't work properly

1. Windows search in explorer doesn't work properly - Similar Threads - search explorer doesn't

2. backspace on file explorer search not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    backspace on file explorer search not working properly: Hi, whenever I type backspace on the search box on file explorer it do the space but it get back the word quickly as if I did not press backspace. please if you had this issue before or you know the fix let us know we will be much apprecitedThank you...
  3. backspace on file explorer search not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    backspace on file explorer search not working properly: Hi, whenever I type backspace on the search box on file explorer it do the space but it get back the word quickly as if I did not press backspace. please if you had this issue before or you know the fix let us know we will be much apprecitedThank you...
  4. Windows 10 Explorer Search Doesn't Work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Explorer Search Doesn't Work: This seems to be an ongoing problem.I have thousands of .mp3 files on my c: in the music folderAnd yet when I search this , it shows some results but locks upThis is a 1 TB SD drive.What is wrong with Windows 10 and searches. I never have this problem on my macbook....
  5. Windows 10 Explorer Search Doesn't Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Explorer Search Doesn't Work: This seems to be an ongoing problem.I have thousands of .mp3 files on my c: in the music folderAnd yet when I search this , it shows some results but locks upThis is a 1 TB SD drive.What is wrong with Windows 10 and searches. I never have this problem on my macbook....
  6. Windows 10 Explorer Search Doesn't Work

7. Windows Search not working properly

Windows Search not working properly: Windows Search is not working properly. In Task Manager/Processes SearchApp.exe is shown as suspended, with a green leaf-type symbol which when hovered over says “This UWP process is suspended to improve system performance”. Under “GPU Engine” it reads “GPU 0 – 3D” In...
  8. Windows Doesn't work properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Doesn't work properly: Whenever i started my windows pc, it showed a popup that it ask me to log out Microsoft account and delete my all windows data from c drive. i am facing this issue continuously. I lost so many important files due to this error
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer Search not working properly

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 File Explorer Search not working properly: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 File Explorer offers a search box that allows you to search for files in the current folder or anywhere on the computer. If you have noticed, Microsoft seems to have changed the behavior of the Explorer search box [...] This post Windows 10 File...
  10. Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work: The search bar in my files explorer won't actually search anything, just to make it clear it isn't the search bar on the left but the smaller one on the right that won't actually do anything/highlight anything Screenshot - ae72785c768d4df8a79ce4627f494350 - Gyazo I used...