Windows 10: Windows Search Indexer consumes all available memory, never finishes, and is perpetually...

Discus and support Windows Search Indexer consumes all available memory, never finishes, and is perpetually... in Cortana to solve the problem; Windows Search Indexer seems to be broken. While it's starting up, it quickly consumes all available memory, about 50MB/s of RAM, occasionally... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by JTDotzler, Feb 6, 2019.

1. JTDotzler Win User

Windows Search Indexer consumes all available memory, never finishes, and is perpetually...

Windows Search Indexer seems to be broken. While it's starting up, it quickly consumes all available memory, about 50MB/s of RAM, occasionally releasing some, but never going below 3GB once it's above that. I left it running for 12 hours and it didn't finish whatever it was trying to do. Further, in the Services tool, it is labeled perpetually "Starting", and doesn't give me the option to stop it. The only way I've found to undo it is to End it from the Task Manager. While it's doing this, it's using about 1% CPU and all of my Disk.

I want to be clear. Unlike most problems involving the Indexer, the problem is NOT it's CPU usage, the problem is it's RAM usage.

The Search and Indexing Troubleshooter can't find any problems. I don't want to disable the service, I want to fix it. I've already run "sfc /scannow" twice, it didn't find anything.

:)

JTDotzler, Feb 6, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Jan Del Win User
    Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows Search Indexer consumes all available memory, never finishes, and is perpetually...

Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Search Indexer consumes all available memory, never finishes, and is perpetually... - Similar Threads - Search Indexer consumes

2. An apperant Malware is consuming all PC memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An apperant Malware is consuming all PC memory: Hello, I'm pretty sure I have a malware on my laptop due to a download from unofficial site. I got many emails telling me that someone is trying to access them, random stuff happening also on my applications such as spotify, I find many random things in my likes for example...
  3. An apperant Malware is consuming all PC memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An apperant Malware is consuming all PC memory: Hello, I'm pretty sure I have a malware on my laptop due to a download from unofficial site. I got many emails telling me that someone is trying to access them, random stuff happening also on my applications such as spotify, I find many random things in my likes for example...
  4. How to fix Windows Search Indexer memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to fix Windows Search Indexer memory usage: Recently my Windows Search Indexer has been consuming any available RAM. I tried restarting my laptop and ending the task on Task Manager, but eventually the issue persisted. Any tips on how I can fix this?...
  5. How to fix Windows Search Indexer memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix Windows Search Indexer memory usage: Recently my Windows Search Indexer has been consuming any available RAM. I tried restarting my laptop and ending the task on Task Manager, but eventually the issue persisted. Any tips on how I can fix this?...
  6. Windows Search Indexer not working at all Corrupted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Indexer not working at all Corrupted?: Hi! It's me, on my Legion laptop running Windows 11 Pro. My search indexer does not work and it will never work. I tried everything. I scanned for corrupted files, I manually tried to restart the service, I ran the troubleshooter, but nothing works. What do I do?...
  7. I need Windows Indexing to index and search all contents

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I need Windows Indexing to index and search all contents: I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1052. I save emails and word documents that apply to projects in a folder for the given project. When I go to search on a keyword or phrase that I know appears in at least some of the documents and emails, I get nothing. I...
  8. Windows 10 consuming all available RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 consuming all available RAM: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.720] after startup, even with no apps running, memory usage goes from 36% to consuming all RAM within about 30-60 minutes. [ATTACH]...
  9. File Explorer never finishes searches

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer never finishes searches: Yet another issue to add to the list of everything that's been reported with 1909's search function. No matter what I've searched for, I get about 99% through a search and results are displayed, but the green bar never reaches the end AND my HDD light is contantly active...
  10. Windows Search indexing never completes

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search indexing never completes: The search results for "My stuff" always comes back with this message: "These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff." Apparently this is a common complaint, and I have tried the most frequently suggested fix: I went into Indexing Options, and...