Windows 10: Windows search indexing doesn't include settings on a local users

Discus and support Windows search indexing doesn't include settings on a local users in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10. When creating a local user due to logging in with email, the username wasn't created properly. I renamed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bbahov, Apr 10, 2021.

1. bbahov Win User

Windows search indexing doesn't include settings on a local users

Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10. When creating a local user due to logging in with email, the username wasn't created properly. I renamed the user and the user folder and made the necessary changes to the registry for the profile image path. Everything works, except the windows search - it shows apps and files but no settings in the results.
    I've read a lot of threads and I see a lot of people have had similar problems in the past related to the immersive control panel. However, most solutions revolve around a folder called windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy which apparently is no longer in use for indexing for a couple of years now. So my subfolder "Local State" is empty.

I've run an sfc scan, restarted the search service, rebuilt the indexing, and tried setting the search SetupCompletedSuccessfully registry key to 0. Nothing worked.

Then I created a new user and the search there works perfectly fine, including settings results. I want to fix it on the old user so my question is - how can I do that? Can I maybe copy the settings or some registry key from the new user that has the search properly working to the old user?

Cheers!

:)

bbahov, Apr 10, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Apr 10, 2021
  3. Search index settings

Hi Samir,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this. This issue may arise due to some corruption or broken index. Kindly refer the below given methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Search and Index troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.
    • Select Troubleshooting. Click on
      and select Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If issue persist, I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Apr 10, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows search indexing doesn't include settings on a local users - Similar Threads - search indexing doesn't

2. Windows 10, "Switch to local user instead" doesn't appear on settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, "Switch to local user instead" doesn't appear on settings: I have been dealing with this issue for over a year. Let me explain everything here. Normally if you want to switch your Microsoft account to local user you just need to go in settings and click on the user section. It should show “switch to local user instead” option but I...
  3. Windows 10, "Switch to local user instead" doesn't appear on settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10, "Switch to local user instead" doesn't appear on settings: I have been dealing with this issue for over a year. Let me explain everything here. Normally if you want to switch your Microsoft account to local user you just need to go in settings and click on the user section. It should show “switch to local user instead” option but I...
  4. Windows 10, "Switch to local user instead" doesn't appear on settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location

in Cortana
    OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location: Search for a file in Windows 10 does not provide any results though the search goes on forever. I have rebuilt the index several times but to no avail. Also OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location...
  6. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: 1 my windows search does not search the d directory. 2 it happened at once that my index stopped working, when i go to the settings is crashes, i have tried all methods like run, command prompt, and at the end i restarted windows from iso, now i don't know what else i can...
  7. File search indexing seems to NOT include contents

in Cortana
    File search indexing seems to NOT include contents: Hello, again, and thank you for reading my post. When I had a WindowsXP PC, it was pretty easy to search a folder and its subfolders, too based on the contents of the files therein such as by asking for a search based on a keyword or other text string. However, with my...
  8. The search index doesn't work

in Cortana
    The search index doesn't work: The search index doesn't show anything and doesn't work at all and is extremely slow. I have tried all the tutorials and nothing works. I can't find the Cortana app either. I get this error message below, when trouble shooting the Search & Indexing. [ATTACH]...
  9. Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive

in Cortana
    Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive: Searching any C-drive folders on my machine was taking a long time and not returning any results always returns "No items match your search", so I am attempting to change the indexing options to include my C-drive. However, when I select it on the Indexed Locations dialog,...
  10. Include web searches? No it doesn't!

in Cortana
    Include web searches? No it doesn't!: If you click Windows + S on Windows 10, it will open the search tab on the task bar. It says it will include app, file, settings, and web. But on my computer, it won't search it on the web. And Also, I don't know but sometimes i CAN use web searches, and that time...