Windows 10: Windows Search & Indexing not running

Discus and support Windows Search & Indexing not running in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm running Win 10 Pro and Windows Search and Indexing are not running. I can't turn them on. I'm thinking my only recourse is to reload Windows, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ScottEudy1, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Windows Search & Indexing not running

I'm running Win 10 Pro and Windows Search and Indexing are not running. I can't turn them on. I'm thinking my only recourse is to reload Windows, but I don't want to end up with the same problem again. Any advice?

:)

ScottEudy1, Jul 31, 2020
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Windows 10 search index not running

Hello,

Thank you for posting you query in Microsoft Community. Your interest on Windows 10 is appreciated.

I can understand the inconvenience that you are facing with the issue. We are glad to help you.

I would suggest you to try the following methods:

Method 1: Search and Indexing Troubleshooter

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow the steps mentioned below.

• a. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • b. Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • c. Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • d. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

I suggest you to perform system file checker. Follow the steps below which will help you:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.

You can follow the steps in the following article:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Hope this resolves your issue. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Jenith_James, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Jan Del Win User

Windows Search & Indexing not running

Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Windows Search & Indexing not running

1. Windows Search & Indexing not running - Similar Threads - Search Indexing running

2. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  3. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  4. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. search indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  6. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: hello the search in taskbar stopped working for some reason it i think crashes when i type or click on something in it, i have tried running the trouble shooter multiple times nothing, did this thing with power shell still nothing, did the w + r and then command Still nothing...
  7. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: 1 my windows search does not search the d directory. 2 it happened at once that my index stopped working, when i go to the settings is crashes, i have tried all methods like run, command prompt, and at the end i restarted windows from iso, now i don't know what else i can...
  8. Window search and indexing

in Cortana
    Window search and indexing: I can only fine file names if i type a word in search box but i want to find indexed file content and files which contain the word i type. I tried to solve in many ways such as rebuilding indexes and changing permissions but nothing got different. I don't have such problems...
  9. Windows Search and Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search and Indexing: When I rebuild the index, I get the message "indexing complete" after a couple of hours, but only 4,000 files are indexed, which is only a small percentage of the total number of files in the directories I've listed for indexing. One directory contains over 10,000 files, a...
  10. Windows 10 search index not running

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search index not running: Have tried running DISM, SFC and CHKDSK Have searched all over internet and have tried everything I have seen so far. I just can't get the file indexing to run....