Windows 10: Windows Search no longer search for local files

Discus and support Windows Search no longer search for local files in Cortana to solve the problem; Ever since I posted that Slideshow is not working, and was told that a fix was simply rebuilding the Index, my Windows Search is now broken.It could no... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Alfa Lutfi, May 16, 2022.

1. Windows Search no longer search for local files

Ever since I posted that Slideshow is not working, and was told that a fix was simply rebuilding the Index, my Windows Search is now broken.It could no longer display local files, even though it's indexed, it's now showing results from the web.This shows that Microsoft needs to bring back their QC team, and have proper non-automated, multi-variable QC check.The level of annoyance is almost 9/10, because I've dealt with Windows 10 issues in 2015 and 2017, and was forced back to Windows 8.1, the best OS.

:)

Alfa Lutfi, May 16, 2022
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

Search Question

Which is why I suggested he try there instead. TPU is too limited of a user base to search here alone for anything gaming related.

rtwjunkie, May 16, 2022
  3. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, May 16, 2022
  4. Windows Search no longer search for local files

Windows 10 File Explorer no longer shows Search ribbon during search

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with the file explorer search ribbon. This is really unusual, as we have tried to reproduce the issue but was not able to get anything. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply
    with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

However, we would suggest you to perform these methods and let us know the outcome.

Method 1: Reset file explorer to default.

1. Open file explore and select on View tab from the top ribbon.
    2. Click on Option and select Change folder and search option.
    3. In the new window select the view tab and click on Restore Default tab below
    4. Click OK and re-launch file explorer.

Method 2: New user account

Check in new user account. Follow the steps from the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account and check if you are facing the same issue with the file explorer.

We await your response,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, May 16, 2022
Thema:

Windows Search no longer search for local files

1. Windows Search no longer search for local files - Similar Threads - Search longer search

2. Windows Search sending data away for a local search ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search sending data away for a local search ?: Looks like Windows Search now require sending data away on every local computer search, for example when starting a program or open a recent document. If data blocked by a third-party firewall Windows Search won’t work at all, given just blank screen. Web Search, Account...
  3. Windows Search sending data away for a local search ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Search sending data away for a local search ?: Looks like Windows Search now require sending data away on every local computer search, for example when starting a program or open a recent document. If data blocked by a third-party firewall Windows Search won’t work at all, given just blank screen. Web Search, Account...
  4. Windows Search no longer search for local files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search no longer search for local files: Ever since I posted that Slideshow is not working, and was told that a fix was simply rebuilding the Index, my Windows Search is now broken.It could no longer display local files, even though it's indexed, it's now showing results from the web.This shows that Microsoft needs...
  5. Windows Search no longer search for local files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search no longer search for local files: Ever since I posted that Slideshow is not working, and was told that a fix was simply rebuilding the Index, my Windows Search is now broken.It could no longer display local files, even though it's indexed, it's now showing results from the web.This shows that Microsoft needs...
  6. Windows 11 taskbar search no longer searches the web

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar search no longer searches the web: Until a recent update, the magnifying glass icon available for the taskbar searched both the web and the local computer/network. Now, it no longer searches the web. At the top of the widgets area, there is a search the web field, but I really want the ability to search from...
  7. File Explorer No Longer Auto-Searching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer No Longer Auto-Searching: Before my computer was forced to update (after being spammed every hour to update), I could type anything to the search bar of file explorer and it would begin searching. Now, instead, I have to press enter or click the search button for the search to begin. Is this a bug...
  8. search bar no longer searches internet sites, only local computer

in Cortana
    search bar no longer searches internet sites, only local computer: For some reason, my Windows 10 Pro computer will no longer present web results when I type in the search bar or ask Cortana. Cortana is installed and recognizes my voice, but will not search the internet. She always says that she didn't recognize that. Thanks...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer no longer shows Search ribbon during search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer no longer shows Search ribbon during search: I do not understand how or why it happened, but when I click in the File Explorer's search box, Search Tools and Manage Drive Tools ribbons no longer appear to give me options to filter by date, kind, size..etc. Is this change intended and permanent or can I get it back?...
  10. File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer will no longer search for words in files: I had automatic updates on, but clearly the computer didn't automatically update. File explorer is no longer finding words in files. I've processed all the updates from January to now, but File Explorer search is still broken. I really need that search to work to be able to...