Windows 10: Windows Search Not Finding Documents

Discus and support Windows Search Not Finding Documents in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10, and every time I search for a document in the search bar, nothing comes up except for Bing search results. This has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/condothrow2, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Windows Search Not Finding Documents

I'm using Windows 10, and every time I search for a document in the search bar, nothing comes up except for Bing search results. This has been happening for a few days now and it may be due to some update as the search results look different than before.

I tried running the search troubleshooter, but it doesn't find any problems.

I'm going bananas, can anyone help?

submitted by /u/condothrow2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/condothrow2, Apr 14, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. OldMike65 Win User
    document search

You should try using Everything search tool, its much better than Windows search tool. Its also a Free app.

Everything Search Tool
    voidtools

OldMike65, Apr 14, 2020
  4. stonefly Win User

Windows Search Not Finding Documents

document search

I looked for previous posts on this subject, but they're old. I tried the suggestions in those posts, however, but they didn't help.

Sometimes the search box in windows explorer will find a document containing a word. Sometimes it won't, even when I know the document I'm looking for is somewhere in my documents file. The one thing it will not do is find a string of text. I know, from memory, that at one time, on my older computers, I could find any file at any time in an instant, just by typing in a string of text. This was invaluable to me. I might not remember the name of the document, but I could usually remember a few words that were in the document. I considered this an extremely valuable feature of windows. There was never a time when I couldn't call up a document based on a few words of text. Emphasis on "was never."

I can't do it any more. The file search does not work. How can I find a document by typing in a string of a few words?

stonefly, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows Search Not Finding Documents

1. Windows Search Not Finding Documents - Similar Threads - Search Finding Documents

2. Can't find my documents using Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find my documents using Search: Oh, my god, I hate Windows 11. What an abysmal program.New computer, unfortunately installed with it. Why in heaven's name can't I type a file name into the Search bar and get my damn files to come up? The only thing this horrid program will find is Favorites with whatever...
  3. Can't find my documents using Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find my documents using Search: Oh, my god, I hate Windows 11. What an abysmal program.New computer, unfortunately installed with it. Why in heaven's name can't I type a file name into the Search bar and get my damn files to come up? The only thing this horrid program will find is Favorites with whatever...
  4. Search for documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search for documents: In Windows 7, I used to be able to type in the name of a person, or other word that may be contained in a document in the search bar, and it would find that document. Now, it won't find the document unless I type the name I saved it as. Sometimes I don't remember how I saved...
  5. Document search

in Cortana
    Document search: When I conduct a search of my Documents file, the only results I get are for pdf documents. How do I expand the search to include all types of Documents? Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/document-search/67ae9cb6-0f9c-4af7-8fc8-17e52810d4bb
  6. Document Searches

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Document Searches: Yesterday I installed Windows 10 I an trying to search a large document folder for a specific visio file .vsd. So I opened File Explorer and selected the document folder. According to many solutions I have read, when I hover my cursor in the "Seach Documents Cell" to the...
  7. Search Documents

in Cortana
    Search Documents: How can I remove an item from a Search Results list in Documents without deleting the file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-documents/c1ae5071-1def-4720-b441-57f576a623fc"
  8. Can't search documents using 'find' in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't search documents using 'find' in Windows 10: Hi, I have a new PC with Windows 10 (previously had Windows 7). I could easily search any document in Windows 7 by hitting the 'find' option in the document and typing in a key word. In windows 10 the same process doesn't 'find' anything. Help please as I use this function a...
  9. document search

in Windows 10 Support
    document search: I looked for previous posts on this subject, but they're old. I tried the suggestions in those posts, however, but they didn't help. Sometimes the search box in windows explorer will find a document containing a word. Sometimes it won't, even when I know the document I'm...
  10. Search does not find my documents (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Search does not find my documents (Windows 10): I've a cloud drive linked to two computers. There's a document called "panoramio stats" on this cloud drive. When I press the windows button followed by "pano" the document is listed by the best matches. When I do the same on the other computer, then the document is not...