Windows 10: Windows Search Not Finding Files

Discus and support Windows Search Not Finding Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042,1052) I've always had problem with searching files. If I "search this PC" and type in a folder or file name,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fan1bsb97, Jun 25, 2021.

1. fan1bsb97 Win User

Windows Search Not Finding Files

Windows 10 Version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042,1052) I've always had problem with searching files. If I "search this PC" and type in a folder or file name, nothing ever comes up. It just says "working on it" forever as the little bar moves. If I search a specific folder, sometimes one or two things show up but very slowly and not everything. And if I knew what folder certain things were in, I wouldn't need the search feature anyway. Indexing is turned off. Thank you!

:)

fan1bsb97, Jun 25, 2021
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jun 25, 2021
  4. Windows Search Not Finding Files

Searching (from the Start menu) only finds some of my files

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching files from the Start menu.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check:

Step 1: Run the Performance troubleshooter.

Performance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the
      Search
      box and hit Enter.

• Select “System Maintenance” from the
      Troubleshooter window.

• Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    restart Windows Search service.

Windows Search service provides content indexing, property caching and search results for files, e-mails and other contents.

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc in the Start Search box.

• Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Search and select Start.

• Also, right-click
      and select Properties for
      Windows Search and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 25, 2021
Thema:

Windows Search Not Finding Files

1. Windows Search Not Finding Files - Similar Threads - Search Finding Files

2. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar: Since somewhen last week, or at most two weeks, the Windows Search, when executed over the Search Bar, doeesn't find certain files anymore. Searching over the Windows Explorer still does find themThree of these examples, all of which are somewhere in a subfolder of \Users\......
  3. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar: Since somewhen last week, or at most two weeks, the Windows Search, when executed over the Search Bar, doeesn't find certain files anymore. Searching over the Windows Explorer still does find themThree of these examples, all of which are somewhere in a subfolder of \Users\......
  4. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files

in Cortana
    Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files: Hi all. Suddenly when I search a folder and all subfolders for *.* or *.odt it won't find them based on date modified but instead based on date created. Very unhelpful. This doesn't appear to be the case for other filetypes. Not only that but search WILL find them on a thumb...
  6. Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Won't Find Recent Files: Hi all. Suddenly when I search a folder and all subfolders for *.* or *.odt it won't find them based on date modified but instead based on date created. Very unhelpful. This doesn't appear to be the case for other filetypes. Not only that but search WILL find them on a thumb...
  7. Windows Search not finding file that IS there!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search not finding file that IS there!: Hi, I'm very confused.. I am looking for any files on my computer that have "Hybrid - Analog Women" in the name, no matter what the file extension is. I know for a fact that there is one called Hybrid - Analog Women.nksn on one of my drives yet it is returning "No items match...
  8. Windows Search finding files but not showing file location

in Cortana
    Windows Search finding files but not showing file location: Running Windows 10 Pro. When I search in a folder, the search comes up with a number of files. These files have names, size info, type info etc., but don't have an icon and don't show a folder path or location. This only appears to be a problem on a shared network folder;...
  9. Search cannot find files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search cannot find files: I have hundreds of videos but when I try to search for them by using IN this PC the Kind:=video command the search come up empty. It simply cannot find anything I ask it to search for. I do not want to use third party search applications. I just want it to work. Does anyone...
  10. Search not finding all files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not finding all files: Hi everyone, We recently purchased two new Acer PC's running Windows 10 on a HDD. We also bought a SSD for each device which I then cloned the HDD to the SSD to decrease startup time. Please note that since cloning I have not formated or deleted any data on the HDD and the...