Windows 10: Windows Search not indexing PDF files if using Adobe Reader

Discus and support Windows Search not indexing PDF files if using Adobe Reader in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I thought I'd post this as an issue I came across today. I noticed that the contents of PDF files were not showing up in Searches from File Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DavidY, Aug 27, 2016.

1. DavidY Win User

Windows Search not indexing PDF files if using Adobe Reader

I thought I'd post this as an issue I came across today.

I noticed that the contents of PDF files were not showing up in Searches from File Explorer (and I guess Cortana).

I should be able to type in a word from a PDF file and, as long as the PDF file is in an indexed location, this should appear in search results.

It turns out that this is a problem which occurs when Adobe Reader is installed, apparently affecting x64 versions of Windows.

The search "iFilter" for PDFs gets broken, so the search doesn't index them. When looking in Indexing Options | Advanced | File Types, the entry for .pdf says "Registered iFilter is not found".

This seems to be the relevant page on Adobe's Knowledge base:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/p...0-install.html

Note that it says it's fixed in Adobe Reader 11.04, but I'm using a later version of Adobe Reader and still had the problem in Windows 10 x64.

:)

DavidY, Aug 27, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Cannot search contents of pdf files using File explorer

I have now resolved the problem in my

1 Windows 7 x64, computer [with Adobe Reader XI],

2 Windows 10 x86 [32 bit] computer [with Adobe Reader XI].

3 Windows 10 x64 computer [with Adobe Reader DC], and

1 For Windows 7 x64, I downloaded & installed the latest version of Adobe’s 64 bit iFilter - see
    Adobe - Acrobat
    For Windows
    PDF iFilter 64 11.0.01

I assumed that the Windows indexer would be confused by the change of indexing filter so I deleted the index and let Windows rebuild it - Control panel, [View by - Small icons, if necessary], Indexing options, Advanced.
    It took a couple of hours.

I then tested searching for text in pdf files and it worked correctly.

Before rebuilding the index, I checked all the folders included in indexing and adjusted them as a few were no longer relevant - that’s in Control panel, [View by - Small icons, if necessary], Indexing options, Modify.
    I could have done that at any time as it’s a fairly routine task.

2 All the online information I had studied referred to the PDF indexing problem [& hence the Windows search problem] as being confined to 64 bit OS.
    So I just rebuilt the index in my Windows 10 x86 [32 bit] computer instead to see what that would achieve - {right-click on the Start button}, Control panel, [View by - Small icons, if necessary],
    Indexing options, Advanced. It took at least five hours as it is a very old computer.

3 I noted in the Adobe link above that Adobe’s 64 bit iFilter is not described as being Windows 10 compatible.
    So, for my Windows 10 x64 computer, I thought I’d just try rebuilding the index instead to see what that would achieve -
    - {right-click on the Start button}, Control panel, [View by - Small icons, if necessary], Indexing options, Advanced.
    It took a couple of hours.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was keen to get Windows search working properly because I often use it in [Windows 7] Windows explorer / [Windows 10] File explorer.

I use the Adobe Reader “Search” function [rather than its “Find” function] a lot as well.
    I frequently create pdf files by printing to pdf when I read web pages that I might want to refer to later, by using Word’s “Save as pdf” capability for lots of reference documents such as technical procedures and by saving any scanned documents
    in pdf “Image on text” format.

Now that I have both search functions working correctly, I can use them in conjunction with each other to very good effect.

I search from Windows explorer / File explorer first as that identifies the files containing the text I’m interested in.
    I can open & look at whatever I want as you’d expect.

Then, if the pdf files identified in the Windows search results are very long, I open them in Adobe Reader and use its “Search” function.
    The tree-like presentation of its results makes referring to specific topics within large pdf files a breeze.
    This screenshot shows one of two results within a large pdf file, I select each result and Adobe Reader automatically takes me to it within the document itself so I can jump around the document backwards and forwards to any of the search
    hits. Incidentally, the screenshot also illustrates the fact that Reader’s search function can search within whole folder trees - the unexpanded entries you can see in the search results are the other pdf documents where the
    search term was found in that group of folders so I can jump around search hits within multiple pdf documents easily.

Windows Search not indexing PDF files if using Adobe Reader [​IMG]

It is this “search” function that keeps me using Adobe Reader.
    I posted a more detailed review of this function in

A guide to using Windows Search; two alternatives to Windows Search

[the same information is also in A Guide to Using Windows Search;
    Two Alternatives to Windows - Wiki
    ]

I have seen several other pdf readers recommended as being faster or less demanding of system resources.
    Foxit Reader has an advanced search function that is more convenient than Adobe's as it is built-in to the standard toolbar.
    I don't know if
    Sumatra PDF
    or Nitro PDF Reader have an equivalent. [This para was edited 23 Dec 2015]

Tryx3, Aug 27, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Cannot search contents of pdf files using File explorer

The indexer is set up to search pdf file contents. There are no other apparent indexing or searching problems.

This looks just like the problem that existed in previous versions of Windows. Attempts at using new Adobe iFilters / jFilters or by running registry hacks were claimed by some to have fixed things but others reported no change.

The only wholely reliable solution at the time was running two searches

1 using Windows explorer in case the content was in a non-pdf file &

2 using Adobe Reader Advanced search function in case the content was in a pdf file.

Is this limitation affecting all Windows 10 installations or just mine?

Is there a well-tested solution other than just installing Adobe Reader & using its Advanced search function again?

Tryx3, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Windows Search not indexing PDF files if using Adobe Reader

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but it's exactly the problem I'm having and I'm not clear how to fix it.
    I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise version 1607, build 14393.1770, along with Adobe Reader 11.0.13.
    I'm having this problem where the indexing service is not working for pdf files. I have attached a screen capture of the registry key referenced in the article. It appears the correct handler was renamed "Prev" and replaced by another handler. Is the fix to copy the value of Prev to Default or to install the Adobe iFilter? I'm asking because the download page for Adobe iFilter does not say it's for Windows 10.

Windows Search not indexing PDF files if using Adobe Reader [​IMG]

bimmerdriver, Nov 6, 2017
  5. DavidY Win User
    I can't remember whether I tried the Adobe iFilter, and I think a simpler option is the Registry fix.

But there is always a risk in playing with the Registry so it's a good time to make sure your backups are up to date before you start. At the very least I would Export the registry key before making any changes, so you could re-import it if it goes wrong.

You are correct that the Prev option needs to be changed or copied to the default. That Prev option relates to the Windows 8 Reader app - although I don't think the Reader app is in Windows 10 by default any more, the iFilter should still be there.

Another alternative might be to upgrade to Adobe Reader DC, which is worth considering in any case because Adobe Reader 11 has just gone out of support. I would hope that Reader DC would have a better iFilter (although I've not tried it).

DavidY, Nov 6, 2017
  6. Thank you for the reply. This is an enterprise computer. I asked the IT department if they had any idea what the proper fix should be and they suggested trying the registry fix. This is a recently re-imaged computer and it already had Adobe Reader XI, so maybe it is the culprit. I'll save the current default and rename the prev to default. I'll post an update when I get a chance to try it. Thanks again.

bimmerdriver, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Search not indexing PDF files if using Adobe Reader

1. Windows Search not indexing PDF files if using Adobe Reader - Similar Threads - Search indexing PDF

2. Cant print to PDF with adobe reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant print to PDF with adobe reader: Hi, When i am at work i try to print to PDF...but it wont do it, and just shows a box saying that my license doesnt allow me to do this. Do you know how to get round this?
  3. Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader

Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader: Can someone give me some insight into this issue? I installed Kaspersky Internet Security software on my computer. When I click on the Adobe Acrobat Reader icon on my desktop, I get a window that says, "Windows cannot find "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader...
  4. Adobe (Pdf) Reader

Adobe (Pdf) Reader: Hello, I think the following is not a windows 10 problem, but I will ask for help anyway.When I receive by mail any pdf document and open it just to read it, on closing the file I am asked if I want to save the changes..., but I did nothing to change anything.Searched the...
  5. Filling in forms using PDF Adobe Acrobat Reader

in Windows 10 Customization
    Filling in forms using PDF Adobe Acrobat Reader: After installing updates for Microsoft Windows 10 I cannot fill in a firm that I want to send to another website, such as sending my Name and information to a state to get travel information, screen will go blank and then go back to my apps page. What am I doing wrong...
  6. Adobe (Pdf) Reader

Adobe (Pdf) Reader: Hello, On my pc is installed Adobe pdf reader, it is updated and keeps updating automaticly. Recently when I double click on a pdf document (any), it opens ok, but when I close it by clicking on the X at the upper right corner, it always asks if I want to save the changes I...
  7. Adobe (Pdf) Reader

in Windows 10 Support
    Adobe (Pdf) Reader: Hello, On my pc is installed Adobe pdf reader, it is updated and keeps updating automaticly. Recently when I double click on a pdf document (any), it opens ok, but when I close it by clicking on the X at the upper right corner, it always asks if I want to save the changes I...
  8. Adobe PDF Reader Doesn't Open

Adobe PDF Reader Doesn't Open: I recently installed the adobe PDF reader. When I open the program it says the file is corrupted and will find a solution, will close. I have uninstalled and reinstalled didn't solve the program. The reader is set as the default. How do I solve problem? Thanks in advance. 56036
  9. How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge

How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge: I open a lot of manuals and Edge is so basic. It shows nothing from introduction to index just the manual. I used to be able to go to the index and find the specific part of the manual I need. Has Microsoft blocked this. REO 16350
  10. Adobe pdf reader or browsers replaced it ?

Adobe pdf reader or browsers replaced it ?: I'm new to Win 10. I did a search in here and noticed that some browsers, and software other than Adobe Reader are now used instead. I am looking for a pdf reader/viewer that can handle over 50 pages, lots of colors as in game maps, differing fonts. The one I saw on cnet,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pdf registered ifilter is not found

2. pdf registered ifilter is not found windows 10