Windows 10: Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

Discus and support Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, I have removed all unnecessary apps, etc from the Start Menu list - however there are Folders, for example, "Ease of Access" --- where once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mrc00l88, Mar 9, 2021.

1. mrc00l88 Win User

Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

Hi all, I have removed all unnecessary apps, etc from the Start Menu list - however there are Folders, for example, "Ease of Access" --- where once removed from the Start Menu folder list %appdata/programdata% --- the applications within the folder no longer work when calling on them in the Windows Search. They appear in the search results, but upon clicking them - nothing opens.

Example: Delete 'Ease of Access' from Start Menu Programs Folders %appdata/programdata% --- Click Windows Button, type in 'Narrator' (program within the 'Ease of Access' folder) and try to click it, doesn't open. Happens with all the programs within the Folders.

As soon as I put the Folders back in the Start Menu Programs Folders %appdata/programdata% - the search entries all function as usual.

I've tried rebuilding the search, adding the entire C drive to search index, nothing seems to be working.

Basically I'm looking to remove the 'Ease of Access' 'Windows Accessories' 'PowerShell' etc folders from the Start Menu list, but still be able to call the applications within them up thru the Windows Search and click to open.

Anyone have a fix?

:)

mrc00l88, Mar 9, 2021

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Clock404 Win User
    Start Menu Program Search Broken

When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed.

I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer, restarting the computer and rebuilding the search index. I have also tried running the windows search troubleshooter but it said it was unable to find an issue.

In addition I ran these commands in the order shown in the cmd:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

In addition I performed an in place upgrade.

The only thing that has helped me so far are following the steps found at Removed program still shown in windows start menu search

However performing the steps above will only cause the new programs to show up in the results once. If I go on install/remove more programs those changes won't be reflected until I do those steps again.

If you have any suggestions on how I might be able to fix this without resetting my Windows installation or creating a new account, please let me know!

Thanks!

Clock404, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

1. Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs - Similar Threads - Search Opening Removed

2. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Cortana
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  3. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  4. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start Menu Program Search Broken

in Cortana
    Start Menu Program Search Broken: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  6. Start menu search, is it possible to remove?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu search, is it possible to remove?: Is is possible to completely remove search from the start menu, or at least have it not return results from any source? submitted by /u/deey001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i5n97e/start_menu_search_is_it_possible_to_remove/
  7. WINDOWS SEARCH OPEN ON TOP OF START MENU

in Cortana
    WINDOWS SEARCH OPEN ON TOP OF START MENU: WINDOWS SEARCH OPEN ON TOP OF START MENU. When pressing window key, windows search also open like an overlay on top of start tiles. it happens start in full screen or not. because of this cannot access the apps behind it. hope a solution to handle.....
  8. Start Menu and Programs Won't Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Programs Won't Open: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it will show starting Word...
  9. Start menu or search won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu or search won't open: I did a clean install of w10 from w7 a couple of months ago and everything has been running fine until about a week ago since when I've not been able open the start menue. Reading through other posts on line with the same problem has not provided a solution so far. I've ran...
  10. Still no program search support in Start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Still no program search support in Start menu search: I'm still having to use Stardock Start10 to use the keyboard to find non-store-app programs. Whenever I use the native Start menu and use the keyboard to enter the non-store-app program name it only finds useless hits among documents and junk (I have Bing disabled otherwise...