Windows 10: Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is...

Discus and support Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... in Cortana to solve the problem; I´m a Windows Insider user, OS is: Edition: Windows 10 Home Version: 2004 OS Build: 19041.264 Installed on: 4/16/2020 Experience: Windows Feature... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by captahydro, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is...

I´m a Windows Insider user, OS is:

• Edition: Windows 10 Home
    • Version: 2004
    • OS Build: 19041.264
    • Installed on: 4/16/2020
    • Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

Everything was working fine till yesterday, when search suddenly stopped working. Can´t type when opening Start Menu, when clicking the Taskbar Search Icon, can´t search in File Explorer.

I´ve never signed in to Cortana.

What i've tried so far to solve the problem:

• Running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter: During the first run a warning or error was fixed, but search was not restored. On subsequent tries, no problem was found
    • Rebuilding the Search Index -> no effect
    • Tried restarting 'SearchUI.exe' in TaskManager as suggested here, but it´s no where to be found. Tried searching for the file with NTFS Search, but only deleted files appear. Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... 9ace98d5-5a2d-449e-99f9-84ff0525db6c?upload=true.png
    • Tried reinstalling Cortana with the following command, as suggested by several articles:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers Microsoft.Windows.Cortana Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml”}

Did not work. Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *Cortana* did´t return any results.

• Tried sfc /scannow -> no issues found, no effect
    • Tried: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, no effect
    • Also tried fixing with: "ResetWindowsSearchBox.ps1" as suggested here, but no effect.

I search the Event Viewer for the first ocurring of the problem and also the error for the recurring error.
    First error:

Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... 6d089842-4e4c-4396-9757-b5dd3e537cbc?upload=true.png

Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... 4b4065ba-112b-4eb9-a530-a39affcd229e?upload=true.png
    Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... e6954477-6148-4cee-b486-c09c75dcbffe?upload=true.png

Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... 547d87ec-cae3-458d-9ba2-75900c26b216?upload=true.png

Recurring error:

Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... 7ddaa178-d163-4b8d-bc24-6fa6f7d7cb31?upload=true.png

Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... c8ad763a-3a21-4bb0-858d-2373198717a3?upload=true.png

Please help, would really want to avoid doing a restore or reset of the OS.

:)

captahydro, Jun 9, 2020

2. EXE files and Start menu

Nice try :-(

Unfortunately, Windows 10 displays massive problems with .exe-files within the start menu. Neither searching for them nor pinning them to the start menu work.

Just have a look in those threads:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-6c3339465037

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-ebfeadf0d82e

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-131dd2e15981

Can't search for .exe files in start menu? : Windows10

Regards

namelessrabbit, Jun 9, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jun 9, 2020
  4. Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is...

EXE files and Start menu

You can only put shortcuts on the menu.

Ztruker's suggestion should work fine.

Here's a tip (unrelated to the issue):
    Create a new folder on your desktop named dtIcons (any name will do),
    then drag all of the icons on your Desktop to that folder.
    Once you have the icons in the folder, you can leave it on your desktop (moving any new icons to that folder as they are created ) - you'll have to open the folder to access the icons of course
    -- OR --
    move the folder (as long as the file name chosen does not already exist in the location - rename it if necessary) off of your desktop to your User folder (any location you choose)
    then create a new toolbar on your Taskbar and point that to the folder holding your icons.
    this gives you a drop down menu of your icons that were cluttering up your Desktop.
    You can manually add shortcuts to the menu list (left hand pane).
    There are some considerations if you manually added the item to either All users menu > All apps or your personal menu > All apps. Win8 / Win10 menu keeps track of items on the menu. The easiest way to tell Windows that a new item is placed there is to create a shortcut anywhere BUT All apps and copy that shortcut to All apps.

You can also use PowerShell to 'touch' the object.

The PowerShell cmdlet below uses the non-existent contoso.lnk as an example.
    If your shortcut is in your personal menu, you will have to change the environment variable
    from
    $envWindows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... :programdata
    to
    $env:appdata
    AND
    Change the file name of the shortcut from contoso.lnk to the file name of the shortcut you want to update

(ls "$envWindows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... :programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\contoso.lnk").lastwritetime = get-date
    It really is easier to just create a new shortcut and copy it to the menu you want.
    There are a few instances where people have disabled UAC and that causes more headaches than it's worth. Set UAC to the default if it has been changed.

Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... [​IMG]

Search and Indexing are tightly tied together - if you've modified your index locations, you'll need to revisit your settings. Make sure Start is included as a location in the index.
    If the object is not in an indexed location - Search might not find it.
    Search from Explorer will find it regardless of the index status.

Search for file names (Q1 report) or extensions xls
    If you search for Q1 report.xls - your results will not be what you expect.
    Lastly try this
    Press the WinKey [ *Start ] on your keyboard and start typing our search query
    The input box doesn't appear until you type the first character and the results are filtered as you type.

Slartybart, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is...

1. Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is... - Similar Threads - search working both

2. Can't search in start menu, settings, or file explorer

in Cortana
    Can't search in start menu, settings, or file explorer: Hi, I'm unable to search my computer files when I press the windows key and type, like I usually do. Even when I right click the windows icon in the bottom right corner and click search, nothing shows up on screen when I type on my keyboard. Additionally, when I go into the...
  3. Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working

in Cortana
    Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working: I noticed that the search bar in the start menu and in the file explorer isn't working 2 weeks from using the clipboard feature Windows+V on two of my devices which makes my life so hard, I can paste text in it but can't type in it I did the power shell solution it worked for...
  4. Windows isn't working right can't open start menu, search, or search in file explorer,...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows isn't working right can't open start menu, search, or search in file explorer,...: So, I did something very stupid which was shutting the pc down by the wall when it was switching off, why I did this? It was 3am and it had been taking a very long time to shut down and I seriously needed sleep. Now i'm experiencing the above problems, i've tried DISM and SFC...
  5. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  6. Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer: Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type anything into the search textbox in File Explorer. In File Explorer, sometimes I'm able to type but it only allows me to insert 1...
  7. Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer: Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type anything into the search textbox in File Explorer. Edit: In File Explorer, sometimes I'm able to type but it only allows me to...
  8. RE: Start Menu Changes Not Saved; ShellExperienceHost, SearchUI,...

in Windows 10 Customization
    RE: Start Menu Changes Not Saved; ShellExperienceHost, SearchUI,...: My relatively new Windows 10 machine was intended as a music and video production-only workstation, so I previously disabled all network functionality to ensure no Update meddling or Rootkit shenanigans. However, my old Windows 7 computer, serving as Internet workstation,...
  9. Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*: About three days ago I noticed that my Search Button and searching in general wasn't working and the Start Menu was more or less broken. I tried almost every solution I could find - like running sfc /scannow or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, that sort of thing -...
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594