Windows 10: Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies

Discus and support Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies in Cortana to solve the problem; On one particular Windows 10 Enterprise 2019H2 18363 system, on which I recently had to replace a second hard drive F: on which my entire OneDrive for... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Jay Libove, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies

On one particular Windows 10 Enterprise 2019H2 18363 system, on which I recently had to replace a second hard drive F: on which my entire OneDrive for Business is sync'd locally option to "Save space and download files as you use them" is UN-checked, now Windows search searching from the Windows Start menu no longer finds the local copies of files on OneDrive on F:\OneDrive - Organization_Name, but instead ONLY finds those files in the cloud e.g. OneDrive for Business:\path\to\file.ext.

In the process of replacing the old hard drive, I did the following:

Added the new hard drive to the system as G:

Unlinked this PC from OneDrive.

Copied everything from F: to G:

Removed the old F: drive

Changed the new drive's letter from G: to F:

Re-linked this PC to OneDrive, specifying the same file path F:\OneDrive - Organization_Name

Waited for OneDrive to re-check everything and report that "All files are in sync".

Windows Search is configured to index the whole computer.

Windows Search shows about 606000 files indexed. The number of files under F:\OneDrive - Organization_Name is about 227000. The number of files on C: is about 45000. So the 606000 or so files indexed by OneDrive seems about right, to include BOTH drives C: and F:.

And yet, tapping the Windows key and searching only finds my OneDrive for Business content in the cloud, NOT locally as I want.

I want Windows Search to find my OneDrive for Business content locally FIRST.

How do I return to the previous, desired behavior which I do still see on other computers?

And, why would this have changed due to nothing more than replacing a hard drive?

thank you.

:)

Jay Libove, Dec 25, 2019
  2. bro67 Win User

Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies

Actually it is local files mirrored to your Cloud Drive. If you need more space, you are going to have to use either a external drive on your network or a bigger drive in your computer. If you stop syncing to your local folder, you will have to use just the OneDrive Cloud folder and will risk losing any data if you lose connection, while working with a file.

bro67, Dec 25, 2019
  3. tfwul Win User
    Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies

Would you please excuse me and allow me to step in here. Reason is that I am / was looking an answer on the same question.

Correct me if I am wrong and probably I am...
    So far I have understood that files that are stored within OneDrive are in fact copies of local files, i.e. files in the cloud are also stored within the OneDrive folder on C:\ taking valuable SSD space..

Considering this (wrong?) idea the 1TB OneDrive space (that comes Office 365) can't be used together with 512GB SSD (nett 470GB, less Windows, applications and some Windows there is not so much space left.

Uploading 2-300GB would not fit anymore then...

tfwul, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Tim923347 Win User

Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies

Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

Hello,

I am wondering if anybody knows of the roadmap for searching 1) local files and of 2) files stored on OneDrive for Business.

I am a researcher and have hundreds of PDF documents stored locally but can't seem to get a good index of them built using native Windows iFilters. Further, I can't seem to get search to index files stored on OneDrive for Business so has to have search (using
    file explorer search dialogue) find these.

What is the future of search for Windows 10?

A little about my set up.

I am a small business with O365 subscription I have a small LAN but don't have any MS servers (like Sharepoint). I store my files on a hard drive/SSD with some (the ones I need multi-device access to) on OD4B. Hope this helps.

Tim923347, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies

1. Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies - Similar Threads - Search finds OneDrive

2. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  3. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  4. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  5. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  6. copying onedrive local files only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying onedrive local files only: Hi, I want to copy files from a Onedrive folder to another volume, but only the files that are saved locally in my computers and not the ones in the cloud. I hoped copy or xcopy would have such an option, but one I try to copy *.* to another folder it starts downloading...
  7. Copy all cloud only files from onedrive

Copy all cloud only files from onedrive: I foolishly thought I could use the space I got with office to move files off my HD to the onedrive cloud. To do this was not intuitive, but I finally did it. Now, I can't manage the files on the cloud in any normal way ... search/sort/copy/rename/move - even get a...
  8. Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business: Hi Community! I have left my old company and I would like to know if there is a way to access the files I had stored in OneDrive for Business? I can see/explore the files in OneDrive synced and stored on my personal machine but cannot open them due to permission restraints....
  9. OneDrive local files corrupt not in cloud

OneDrive local files corrupt not in cloud: We've got a corrupted C: drive may or may not be related but means we cannot boot into Windows and am trying to xcopy some OneDrive files that haven't been synced for a couple of months now. The xcopy error is "File creation error - The file cannot be accessed by the...
  10. Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies

Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies: I’m either using this all wrong or cant figure it out. Is there no way to get OneDrive to never store a local copy and basically only show cloud stored server side data in my OneDrive folder in file explorer’s nav pane? The only way I get it to work now is to clear up space...