Windows 10: Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally

Discus and support Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Files on demand is turned on so I don't why this is still an issue. If I browse the oneDrive folder in Explorer then the files open locally. Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/YasZedOP, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally

Files on demand is turned on so I don't why this is still an issue. If I browse the oneDrive folder in Explorer then the files open locally. Windows search shows the following field:

Location OneDrive:\<NAME\_OF\_FOLDER>

submitted by /u/YasZedOP
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/YasZedOP, Jan 31, 2020

2. Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hi Elias,

To resolve your concern regarding opening local files on OneDrive, follow the steps below:

• Go to
      OneDrive.com.
    • Right click on the file that you want to view.
    • Click on Download.
    • The file will be downloaded, and would normally show up on the bottom part of your browser.
    • Click the file, and it would open up using its normal default application.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Andrii T Win User
    Search always opens locally available OneDrive files in browser

Hi everyone!

I have been using OneDrive/SkyDrive/Mech for about 10 years now. Yet using it with windows 10 gets problematic.

I bought a new PC half a year ago and switched from Win 7 to 10.

With
    OneDrive on Windows 10 I come across issues when I search for documents stored in OneDrive. After clicking the document in the search results, Windows always opens the document in the browser, regardless the document type. When I try to use the "open
    folder" it opens the OneDrive folder in the browser. Feels like the search is performed in the cloud, rather than on my PC. This is so inconvenient and problematic! For example, there is an 'abc.xyz' document in my OneDrive. When I type in 'abc.xyz'
    in the task bar search box the document does not instantly appear in the search results, as used to be with Win 7, I have
    to select 'Find results in documents' button, only then the document shows up in the search results. Finally, when I click on the document I am redirected to my browser, which inexplicably
    opens OneDrive webpage (???) with the document, offering me to download
    the file. Yet I have locally installed app to open *.xyz files by default and the option
    Files on-demand in my OneDrive client is disabled!!! This is such a ridiculous behavior!

I want to open and edit my documents using my local machine software in an instant, and not being forced to open files in the browser.

I recently clean installed the latest version of windows 1803, and the search behaves exactly the same way, no matter what

Is there a way to restore a regular search-and-open-in-the-default-app behavior?

Andrii T, Jan 31, 2020
  4. Lin# Win User

Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally

Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app

When I search for a file in Cortana that I have stored in OneDrive and stored locally on my computer it REFUSES to open the locally stored file in the default app and instead opens it in the garbage OneDrive website in my browser!

For instance, I have a collection of PDFs that I reference often and I have my default app for PDFs set to Edge. Instead of it opening the PDF file from my D:\ drive, it opens the OneDrive file. Cortana and the search bar are now functionally useless.

Absolutely infuriating, I did nothing to provoke this change, and what's worse is that I can see posts about this issue from as far back as 2015 with NO SOLUTION. Get it together!!

Thema:

Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally

1. Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally - Similar Threads - search opens oneDrive

2. Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?: The issue the user is facing is that when opening pdf files from windows search they always open in the browser and not in Adobe Acrobat.If the pdfs are opened from windows explorer they open in the application.If the pdfs are copied to a local folder that is not...
  3. Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?: The issue the user is facing is that when opening pdf files from windows search they always open in the browser and not in Adobe Acrobat.If the pdfs are opened from windows explorer they open in the application.If the pdfs are copied to a local folder that is not...
  4. Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser

in Cortana
    Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser: Steps to reproduce:1. Search for a filename using the search bar in the start menu.2. File will appear with the location set to "OneDrive:\....etc". No other option appear for the local file3. Opening the file will result in opening a new Edge window with the file, instead of...
  5. Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser: Steps to reproduce:1. Search for a filename using the search bar in the start menu.2. File will appear with the location set to "OneDrive:\....etc". No other option appear for the local file3. Opening the file will result in opening a new Edge window with the file, instead of...
  6. Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser

7. Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.

Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.: Dear all,I have a very frustrating issue on Windows 11 latest build and previous ones. Some premises:I have OneDrive installed on my PC and I work on files saved there;Adobe Reader is the default app to open PDFs;Adobe Reader actually opens PDFs when they're launched from...
  8. Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.: Dear all,I have a very frustrating issue on Windows 11 latest build and previous ones. Some premises:I have OneDrive installed on my PC and I work on files saved there;Adobe Reader is the default app to open PDFs;Adobe Reader actually opens PDFs when they're launched from...
  9. Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive

in Cortana
    Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive: Dear Community, when I use the Windows-Button to search for e.g. Word or PDF documents, Edge is opened with a OneDrive link. The website tells me that the file is not available. Is it possible to open the file locally in the Explorer? Thank you very much for the answer!...
  10. Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cortana opens locally stored OneDrive files in OneDrive website instead of app: When I search for a file in Cortana that I have stored in OneDrive and stored locally on my computer it REFUSES to open the locally stored file in the default app and instead opens it in the garbage OneDrive website in my browser! For instance, I have a collection of PDFs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. OPEN ONEDRIVE FILES ON PC RATHER THAN IN BROWSER