Windows 10: Windows Search response speed - partially indexed drive vs fully

Discus and support Windows Search response speed - partially indexed drive vs fully in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I see a huge difference in how fast it takes for an indexed item to be found on a drive between the drive being fully indexed, and selectively... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, Mar 22, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Windows Search response speed - partially indexed drive vs fully

Hi, I see a huge difference in how fast it takes for an indexed item to be found on a drive between the drive being fully indexed, and selectively indexed.

if I index a couple of folders on, say, drive H:, then use search in file explorer to find something indexed with H: open in file explorer, it takes a relative age for an indexed item to be found. Green progress bar creeps across..

If, however, I have all of H: indexed, finding said item is very very quick.

Now logical me would expect the search to first scan indexed items, then the rest of the drive/partition. But the green progress bar in the partially indexed case suggests that the reverse is true.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

(P.S. I normally use a 3rd party tool to find things- so much more convenient and faster, which explains why I haven't bothered thinking about this much before).

Related: I suspect Cortana's message 'These results may be incomplete' when doing a documents search reflects the above. Now I have H: fully indexed, Cortana can find text content there instantly, whereas on E: where have two folders indexed, I get that message- equivalent, I guess, to the green progress bar.

:)

dalchina, Mar 22, 2017

2. Search Option not working on Brand New Surface Book

Brand new Surface Book fully patched with Windows 10 Anniv. Update and the Search Bar is only partially working.

If I search for Settings, it shows up, but if I search for Mouse, or update, or any other items they don't show up. Oddly enough it does seem to be searching the Windows Store as Apps show up. (that I haven't installed.) My Profile is fully indexed. Tried
    stopping and starting the search service. There is a few post online about deleting registry keys and or creating folders, but not sure why I need to do this on a brand new system.

Howie411(2), Mar 22, 2017
  3. WIN10 search not returning results from indexed drive

Greetings

Windows 10 taskbar (Cortana) search is not returning results from an indexed drive. Both the C and D drives are indexed (specific Locations) and task bar search returns results from everywhere but the D drive. However, if I search via file manager search
    returns all the results.

I have tried

• rebuilding the index
    • stating and stopping the service
    • running the troubleshooter (find a permissions problem)
    The machine is fully patched with the latest release.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

THX Paul

PaulCramer, Mar 22, 2017
Thema:

Windows Search response speed - partially indexed drive vs fully

1. Windows Search response speed - partially indexed drive vs fully - Similar Threads - Search response speed

2. Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search: Google Drive is now mapped to "G Drive" and listed in Explorer. Google Drive is mirrored on my computer.I want Windows to index the Google Drive files so I can use Windows search for my Google Drive, but I cannot add G drive to the Included Locations.Any insights,...
  3. Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search: Google Drive is now mapped to "G Drive" and listed in Explorer. Google Drive is mirrored on my computer.I want Windows to index the Google Drive files so I can use Windows search for my Google Drive, but I cannot add G drive to the Included Locations.Any insights,...
  4. Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search

in Cortana
  5. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: 1 my windows search does not search the d directory. 2 it happened at once that my index stopped working, when i go to the settings is crashes, i have tried all methods like run, command prompt, and at the end i restarted windows from iso, now i don't know what else i can...
  6. Can't index and search network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't index and search network drive: A z drive exists which is a share on a QNAP NAS. On other Windows PC's, when a user searches in File Explorer they get results for files on that NAS share. On this specific Windows PC, they get minimal results from the NAS Share. It's as if indexing isn't complete. I've...
  7. Windows Search and Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search and Indexing: When I rebuild the index, I get the message "indexing complete" after a couple of hours, but only 4,000 files are indexed, which is only a small percentage of the total number of files in the directories I've listed for indexing. One directory contains over 10,000 files, a...
  8. Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed: If I disable the setting "allow contents on this drive to be indexed" does it impact the windows search feature? My C drive is an SSD. I have been having issues with windows explorer being very slow on all drive so been researching possible issues. I came across that I...
  9. Can't search partial filenames when search index is OFF

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't search partial filenames when search index is OFF: As an example ive made a folder with two folders "example1234" and "example-1234" and two files with the same names. "example1234.txt" and "example-1234.txt". Searching "ex" finds them all correctly. Searching "xa" finds nothing. Searching "123" finds only the folder...
  10. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:: dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D: Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on D: and choose proper locations on C:, when indexing starts to rebuild it reverts back to D: I though I had solved by...