Windows 10: Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files

Discus and support Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files in Cortana to solve the problem; I have a lot of files in a folder, some of them hidden. I want to search for only the hidden files, like the guy in this post. The answer was not for... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Tomás Crespo, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files

I have a lot of files in a folder, some of them hidden. I want to search for only the hidden files, like the guy in this post. The answer was not for ONLY hidden files. Of course I know I must enable "Show hidden files".

Windows Search is quite powerful, so it can search by dates, and some other file properties (isattachment:true, kind:folders...) but I cannot guess a search expression for hidden files.

:)

Tomás Crespo, Sep 9, 2019
  2. Forceflow Win User

Searching hidden files/folders

This is what I do:
    • In explorer, browse to C:/Username
    • Start a search there containing a folder name I know is in C:/Username/Appdata/Local
    • The folder does not appear in search

Hidden files and folders are marked to be visible everywhere.
    It seems like recursive search doesn't descend into hidden files/folders, because when I browse to Appdata and search there, I find it.

Any way to change this behaviorr?

Forceflow, Sep 9, 2019
  3. search for hidden files & folders

Doesn't seem possible from within Explorer. Using 'Attributes:HSA' for instance, doesn't work. You can filter on the column header in a detail view, but that's not a true search.

To Search for files & folders with the Hidden attribute set, you have to use PowerShell:

Code:
    [b]get-childitem -Hidden[/b]
    to list files within the current directory and:

Code:
    [b]get-childitem -hidden -recurse[/b]
    to find files in the current directory and all subdirectories.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Sep 9, 2019
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files

Search Question

Which is why I suggested he try there instead. TPU is too limited of a user base to search here alone for anything gaming related.

rtwjunkie, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files

1. Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files - Similar Threads - Search Search hidden

2. Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar: Hello,I want to search my entire PC for any hidden files that I may need to transfer from my old computer mainly due to how Minecraft Java Edition saves in AppData; which is hidden. Is it possible to only search for hidden files in the search bar? I have tried...
  3. Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar: Hello,I want to search my entire PC for any hidden files that I may need to transfer from my old computer mainly due to how Minecraft Java Edition saves in AppData; which is hidden. Is it possible to only search for hidden files in the search bar? I have tried...
  4. hidden search menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hidden search menu: I'm having trouble with searching in my search bar or by pressing windows key. When I try to search almost half of the results is not showing. It's annoying how can I fix this?...
  5. hidden search menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hidden search menu: I'm having trouble with searching in my search bar or by pressing windows key. When I try to search almost half of the results is not showing. It's annoying how can I fix this?...
  6. hidden search menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Search only searching contents in PDF files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search only searching contents in PDF files: Hello, lately when I use File Explorer to search the contents of my Word documents, the search is not yielding any results apart from PDF files. I have tried every fix and update I have seen in the community and it has not fixed the problem. I'm running Windows 10 and this...
  8. Search for hidden files/folders only

in Cortana
    Search for hidden files/folders only: In file explorer, is there a way to only show hidden folders/files? Or search and find only hidden files/folders in say the Documents folder. I don't need to know how to turn on show hidden files option. I know about that. I want to find ONLY hidden files/folders so I can...
  9. search for hidden files & folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    search for hidden files & folders: I have studied the "Advanced Query Syntax" document at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx but I cannot find an answer to this question: How do I SEARCH FOR (not just show) folders and files whose properties include as an attribute that the...
  10. Searching hidden files/folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching hidden files/folders: This is what I do: In explorer, browse to C:/Username Start a search there containing a folder name I know is in C:/Username/Appdata/Local The folder does not appear in search Hidden files and folders are marked to be visible everywhere. It seems like recursive search...