Windows 10: Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

Discus and support Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild in Cortana to solve the problem; I go the same problem as here, but nothing in the thread helped:... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Carlo Gradl, May 23, 2019.

1. Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

I go the same problem as here, but nothing in the thread helped:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-service-wont-start-index-fails-to/e651a51d-0264-432c-a8e8-830f630242c3?page=2

I tried every single suggestion that I could find out there, nothing works.

I am quite sure it happened when I changed hard drives and renamed them and one of them contained the search index.

Did anybody ever successfully recover from this error?

To repeat, it happens when you try to start the Windows Search Service. The error is "Windows could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer. Error 21: The device is not ready.

:)

Carlo Gradl, May 23, 2019

2. Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

The Windows Search service wont start in Windows 10. I was on build 17134 and then upgraded to build 17723, but the issue persists.

This is the error I get when I try to start the Windows Search service in Services:

Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild 7d8e97ac-c54a-4a2f-8f1d-371aee1c5cc1?upload=true.png

Here is everything I have tried, each were performed individually before attempting to start the Windows Search service:

1) The Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild a0783f0c-0e6a-42a0-af89-7c061ebd6092?upload=true.png

Result: Ineffective

2) Changing the SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 0 and restarting then starting the Windows Search service.

3) Running the System File Checker command (sfc /scannow). Completed successfully, no issues.

4) Running Check Disk commands on all drives (chkdsk /f CWindows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild :). Completed successfully, no issues.

5) Starting the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service:

Result: Fails with Error 1068 (The dependency service or group failed to start)

6) Running the DISM commands to ScanHealth/RestoreHealth. Completes successfully, no integrity violations.

7) Delete files in C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR in Safe Mode. Some cannot be deleted as they are in use by System.

8) Delete files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows, and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Temp.

9) Rebuild the Index in Indexing Options. It does nothing after warning that it may take a long time to rebuild the index.

It seems that no matter what I do, the Windows Search service refuses to start.

Any help appreciated.

Fahad Al-Riyami, May 23, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 23, 2019
  4. frister Win User

Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

indexing options blank, can't rebuild index, search service won't start

I had my indexes stored on a separate hard drive (e:\). That drive died, I removed it and I did not replace it. After reboot, Cortana said indexing was off. Tried turning on, indexing options pane is blank and that attempted index rebuild did nothing.
    I tried starting from the services.msc. First it failed because it said it could not find the files in the specified path. Based on various MS community postings, I gleaned that I first had to

take ownership of the registry keys

set the SetupCompletedSuccessfully value to 0 (it already was zero)

change the file path for the indexes and temp storage under the GatheringManagerKey to someplace on my C: drive

run the system file checker with /scannow option (it found no errors)

Search service still won't start.

Latest system msg is "The Windows Search service terminated with the following service-specific error: %%2147749222"

Latest Application error includes "<1, 0x80040d66, Failed to add Gather Application: Windows>. "

Ideas, please?

frister, May 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

1. Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild - Similar Threads - Search Service wont

2. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  3. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  4. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  5. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  6. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you find that search results are missing, no longer valid, or incorrect, then […] This article How to rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Search indexing wont start.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search indexing wont start.: Yesterday I tried searching my files. It took forever so I looked it up. It turns out I needed to enable search indexing. It kept starting and stopping so I went to trouble shoot. It just said it wasn't running so I turned it on manually and got this error. This service...
  9. Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search stopped working, wont rebuild index: I foolishly got some viruses a few days ago. I cleaned it all out I think with malwarebytes and hitman pro, but one problem remains that windows search will not find any files. It finds programs like Steam, Firefox, etc and windows functions just fine but it won't find ANY...
  10. Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10: How to: Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 How to Reset and Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 Windows Search Service error 21: the device is not ready