Windows 10: Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready

Discus and support Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am unable to start the windows search service. I first noticed the issue when windows prompted me that indexing was turned off. I have been unable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NathanBellshaw, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready

I am unable to start the windows search service.

I first noticed the issue when windows prompted me that indexing was turned off. I have been unable to track down any information on what this Error 21 actually indicates.

Any information on how to reinstall the service, or get it working again would be greatly appreciated.

Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready a79881be-5887-42cd-9ac0-60226583ca2a?upload=true.png

:)

NathanBellshaw, Mar 2, 2020

2. Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

It would probably be useful to know what "the device" is. Any clues in the Event log?

Also, how are you trying to start Windows Search? One way would be in an Administrator command shell to enter:

Code:
    sc.exe  queryex   wsearchnet  start  wsearch
    I am suggesting you use the query first in case the service is in a state in which the second command would not work, such as being disabled. Or maybe it is already running and then the error would be misleading and not just about wsearch itself.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Mar 2, 2020
  3. "We're getting search ready" error - Windows/Cortana Search

Well I'm happy to say that I'm a step further along but not at the end yet.

I had been stuck with the 'We are getting search ready' message and while it was able to search apps, documents, store and web it would not find any control panel items or settings options.

I had tried deleting the search folder in programdata, I had reset Cortana, I had rebuilt the index in index options - none seemed to make a difference.

In my latest step, I went into Index options and took a look what one of my working PCs was indexing and ticked and unticked boxes till my other PC was the same.

This left me with the following only, complete with the same exclusions:

Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready [​IMG]

I saw it was re-indexing and, after about a minute, I was able to go to the search box and finally the 'We are getting search ready' message is gone. It is now also showing 'old' control panel items and settings related to the 'old' control panel. However, what it is not showing is any settings related to the 'new' metro-esque settings application. So when I type 'updates' I see 'View Installed updates' as a listing, but not 'windows update settings' or 'manage map settings'.

Aaargh - so close !

Donkeyfumbler, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready

Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

I go the same problem as here, but nothing in the thread helped:

Windows Search Service wont start, Index fails to rebuild

I tried every single suggestion that I could find out there, nothing works.

I am quite sure it happened when I changed hard drives and renamed them and one of them contained the search index.

Did anybody ever successfully recover from this error?

To repeat, it happens when you try to start the Windows Search Service. The error is "Windows could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer. Error 21: The device is not ready.

Carlo Gradl, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready

1. Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready - Similar Threads - search services Error

2. Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...: Windows could not start the windows search service on Local ComputerError 21: The device is not ready.I will add pictures, i can't directly upload here it gives me some error, sorry for that , i uploaded to prnt.scPhotoWhen i go to the event viewer i see the error i get...
  3. Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...: Windows could not start the windows search service on Local ComputerError 21: The device is not ready.I will add pictures, i can't directly upload here it gives me some error, sorry for that , i uploaded to prnt.scPhotoWhen i go to the event viewer i see the error i get...
  4. Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows search service cannot be started. Get "Error 21: the device is not ready"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search service cannot be started. Get "Error 21: the device is not ready": I reinstalled Windows 10 last July 2022 and since then the search in Outlook has not worked. Starting to be bothered a lot by not being able to do searches.I've search the web and tried several...
  6. Windows search service cannot be started. Get "Error 21: the device is not ready"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search service cannot be started. Get "Error 21: the device is not ready": I reinstalled Windows 10 last July 2022 and since then the search in Outlook has not worked. Starting to be bothered a lot by not being able to do searches.I've search the web and tried several...
  7. Windows search service cannot be started. Get "Error 21: the device is not ready"

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready

in Cortana
    Windows search services: Error 21: The device is not ready: Had a issue with Windows search services not starting due to "Error 21: The device is not ready" After trying numerous "fixes" I was unable to find the the solution. Reading thousands of logs in the event viewer I finally found the issue. Event viewer> Windows...
  9. Error 21 "The device is not ready" when running "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...

Error 21 "The device is not ready" when running "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...: Hi Everyone, whenever I run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth It says the component store is repairable. When I run "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" from command prompt to fix the component store, I get an error message that says "Error: 21 The device is not...
  10. device not ready error

device not ready error: I am trying to install fonts (from dafont) that I have on my computer in my downloads folder. I am getting an error "device is not ready" and the fonts will not install. I have Windows 10. I was able to do this before so why can I not do it now?...