Windows 10: Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords.

Discus and support Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords. in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello, I've got a problem with my Windows Search Service. It is the best explained if you take a look at the pictures included to this question. This... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Verenn, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Verenn Win User

Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords.

Hello, I've got a problem with my Windows Search Service. It is the best explained if you take a look at the pictures included to this question.

This problem occurs on every drive, and it is quite frustrating as it sometimes leads me into thinking that specific file is not there, while in reality it is. So far I've ran troubleshooting on indexing and windows search, and it found "Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories". I've taken ownership of the Search/Data folder, I've tried to rebuild the index and I've used sfc and DISM commands to no avail, which is why I'm asking this question here.

Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords. 312d655b-2553-46af-878c-59a23eff50b1?upload=true.png Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords. 6bbf2b66-c491-4b8f-9bd2-76503682ee47?upload=true.png Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords. 59e49090-6ad5-4561-aac6-b29093b9f193?upload=true.png

:)

Verenn, Dec 17, 2020

2. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Carlos: Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have been doing. I search for folders with a specific name and get a list. Then I have to search each folder for a specific file. So it's a two step search and that's what I was trying to avoid.

I assume there are applications out there that allow for an "AND" search in Windows. I'll try that approach.

Thanks, again.

MarkMcDonough45, Dec 17, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Hitesh12 Win User

Cannot search in a specific folder [Windows 10]

THANKS A LOT !!

This worked like a charm. Now search is working perfectly

Thanks a lot Ruth, really appreciate your help

Hitesh12, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords. - Similar Threads - Search works strangely

2. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword: Never had this problem in Windows 7 or XP Explorer when searching for by a keyword in a file name of a file in a specific folder, this time on my external USB drive. Please advise....
  3. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword: Never had this problem in Windows 7 or XP Explorer when searching for by a keyword in a file name of a file in a specific folder, this time on my external USB drive. Please advise....
  4. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files: I searched for a single a. I got 900,000 alphabetized results, but nothing after k. I searched for goka and got 12 results, but nothing after m. Search troubleshooter did not fix it. What should I do?...
  6. file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files: I searched for a single a. I got 900,000 alphabetized results, but nothing after k. I searched for goka and got 12 results, but nothing after m. Search troubleshooter did not fix it. What should I do?...
  7. Why is file explorer not searching by keyword

Why is file explorer not searching by keyword: Why is file explorer not searching by keyword https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-file-explorer-not-searching-by-keyword/99ac8768-ad65-4545-99ae-f610efa5c50f"
  8. Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included)

Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included): Hi, we've had this problem for a long time. Today I decided to resolve it by chatting with support at Microsoft. The representative was surprised as well that this isn't a feature yet working on their end either. When you click CTRL + F on your internet browser and type...
  9. Can't Get Windows 10 Search To Find Files In A Specific Folder....

in Cortana
    Can't Get Windows 10 Search To Find Files In A Specific Folder....: I'm hoping someone can help me out here.... I have a folder - C:\MyStuff and I have a bunch of subfolders. I would like to be able to search for things by pressing the Windows key and then typing part of the name. I thought that would be possible - but Windows never...
  10. Windows 10 search fails to find specific file

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search fails to find specific file: I have Windows 10 Enterprise. I am trying to find a specific file by searching either in Start menu, or by directly searching in the folder where the file itself is located. While all other files with the searched characters are retrieved, that one file is not. I tried...