Windows 10: Windows security asking for a smart card

Discus and support Windows security asking for a smart card in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Good morning everyone, I have to occasionally use a smart card reader to access work-related websites. I have the issue where windows gives me 3-5... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by David-Murica, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Windows security asking for a smart card

Good morning everyone,

I have to occasionally use a smart card reader to access work-related websites. I have the issue where windows gives me 3-5 popups whenever I start my computer asking for a smart card. It will also occasionally ask for a smart card when I attempt to log into some websites which is irritating, but I can manage that. Is this some sort of certificate issue, or perhaps a driver issue?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

:)

David-Murica, Apr 30, 2020

2. Windows Security Smart Card popup

Hi Hoarder,

Disable Smart Card Plug and Play Service

Step 1

Hold down the "Windows" key and press "R" to open the Run dialog. Type "gpedit.msc" at the prompt and press "Enter" to open the Local Group Policy Editor.

Step 2

Expand "Computer Configuration," "Administrative Templates" and "Windows Components" in the tree browser. Double-click the "Smart Card" folder in the main window.

Step 3

Right-click "Turn On Smart Card Plug and Play Service" and select "Edit." In the Properties dialog, select "Disabled" to turn off this service and remove the smart card option from the login screen. Click "Apply" and "OK" to save your changes.

Step 4

Close Local Group Policy Editor and restart Windows to finalize the changes.

Let me know if this will work.

Thanks and regards,

RichardGuerzon, Apr 30, 2020
  3. Ev77 Win User
    Excel asking for a Smart Card but no reader ever installed

When Excel is asked to:
    Open a spreadsheet containing unsigned macros, AND
    Excel's macro security is set to "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros"
    I get a "Connect a smart card" message. The message says it is from "Windows Security" (See attachment.)

I just installed Windows 10 on this machine and there has NEVER been a smart card reader connected to this machine.
    I have used services.msc to disable all 3 smart card services and that did not help.
    If I click "Cancel" the spreadsheet comes up with macros disabled as it should.

How can I stop Excel/Windows from giving me the Smart Card message.

Many thanks for any help.

(I recently posted a similar question which was resolved but this is a slightly different smart card related problem.)

4. Rob_U Win User

Windows security asking for a smart card

Windows Security is no longer recognizing my CAC reader (Smart Card reader)

Windows Security seems to have randomly stopped recognizing my CAC reader, this happened early September.

Typically whenever I access a website that needs my CAC (email, DTS, etc), it prompts me to select my name from a list of credentials, which I do. Then a box pops up from Windows Security asking me to select a smart card device, I click the only option
    and proceed and that's about it.

Now, though, when windows security prompts me to select a smart card device, there is no option. Instead, it simply says "connect a smart card."

I have tried with three different smart cards, all of which operate on other computers, none on mine. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media as well as the Device Manager both recognize the CAC reader when plugged in. I've uninstalled the device from device
    manager, reinstalled it and also updated the driver from the product's website.

To me, it seems that the computer is still recognizing the reader and the software is there - but Windows Security is somehow blocking the system from accessing/recognizing/allowing the reader.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows 10 and the CAC reader is ActivIdentity's USB Reader v3.0, P/N: ZFG-9820GAC

Rob_U, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows security asking for a smart card

1. Windows security asking for a smart card - Similar Threads - security asking smart

2. smart card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  3. smart card

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  4. Windows keeps asking for a smart card when turning pc on

Windows keeps asking for a smart card when turning pc on: [ATTACH] When turning computer on I get asked to connect a smart card. It wont go away until I do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-keeps-asking-for-a-smart-card-when-turning/4b42fd4d-3011-466e-8448-ce85808a20d7
  5. Windows Security (Smart Card Pin)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security (Smart Card Pin): Everytime I boot in, Windows Security prompts me to enter my Common Access Card. Even if I boot without my CAC Reader in. It only started doing this after the recent update. I've disabled the CAC Reader Driver, uninstalled DoD Certs and reinstalled, created a new profile and...
  6. Windows Security Repeated Smart Card Prompting

Windows Security Repeated Smart Card Prompting: When starting/restarting my PC, I get this windows security prompt to connect a smart card. I click cancel or x out of it, and it will show up another 5-10 times. This only happens when the PC is starting up. I searched for online results, and done things people have posted...
  7. windows security smart card problem after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows security smart card problem after update: Hello, i am a win 10 home user. yesterday i updated the latest windows 10 update and after this i keep getting this annoying smart card pop-up wich even after closing restarts immediatly. i am a somewhat experienced user but this problem has baffled me for the past hour...
  8. Windows Security Smart Card popup

Windows Security Smart Card popup: When starting my computer I get the popup attached below, it comes up and has to be dismissed a total of four times. This happens on two different Windows 10 devices I use. I use a smart card to access enterprise webmail on occasion and that works without issue. I do not use...
  9. About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

About the security of Virtual Smart Cards: Hello all, Trying to have a good overview about the security of Virtual Smart Cards relying on TPMs, I read this very short article (the only I found) covering this topic (first part):...
  10. Excel asking for a Smart Card but no reader ever installed

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel asking for a Smart Card but no reader ever installed: When Excel is asked to: Open a spreadsheet containing unsigned macros, AND Excel's macro security is set to "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros" I get a "Connect a smart card" message. The message says it is from "Windows Security" (See attachment.) I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 smartcard popup

2. windows security smart card turn off

3. connect smart card excel

4. windows security the security device requires a different smart card