Windows 10: Windows Security change affecting PowerShell

Discus and support Windows Security change affecting PowerShell in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The recent (1/8/2019) Windows security patch CVE-2019-0543, has introduced a breaking change for a PowerShell remoting scenario. It is a narrowly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Windows Security change affecting PowerShell

The above example fails only when using non-Administrator credentials, and the connection is made back to the same machine (localhost). Administrator credentials still work. And the above scenario will work when remoting off-box to another machine.

Example of working loopback scenario

Code: # Create Admin credential PS > $adminCred = Get-Credential ~\AdminUser # Create a loopback remote session to custom endpoint using Admin credential PS > $session = New-PSSession -ComputerName localhost -ConfigurationName MyNonAdmin -Credential $adminCred PS > $session Id Name ComputerName ComputerType State ConfigurationName Availability -- ---- ------------ ------------ ----- ----------------- ------------ 1 WinRM1 localhost RemoteMachine Opened MyNonAdmin Available[/quote]
    The above example uses Administrator credentials to the same MyNonAdmin custom endpoint, and the connection is made back to the same machine (localhost). The session is created successfully using Administrator credentials.

The breaking change is not in PowerShell but in a system security fix that restricts process creation between Windows sessions. This fix is preventing WinRM (which PowerShell uses as a remoting transport and host) from successfully creating the remote session host, for this particular scenario. There are no plans to update WinRM.

This affects Windows PowerShell and PowerShell Core 6 (PSCore6) WinRM based remoting.

This does not affect SSH remoting with PSCore6.

This does not affect JEA (Just Enough Administration) sessions.

A workaround for a loopback connection is to always use Administrator credentials.

Another option is to use PSCore6 with SSH remoting.

Paul Higinbotham
    Senior Software Engineer
    PowerShell Team

[/quote]
    Source: Windows Security change affecting PowerShell | PowerShell Team Blog

:)

Brink, Jan 11, 2019
  2. Kursah Win User

PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jan 11, 2019
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Windows powershell randomly popping up.

Hi Fabian,

Scheduled tasks that use Powershell can cause the Powershell window to appear periodically on your computer. We suggest that you check the Task Scheduler.

• Click on Start.
    • In the search bar, type Task Scheduler and click on
      Task Scheduler
      in the results.
    • Under Active Tasks, check for any tasks that use Powershell and the scheduled time.

Malware can also cause this issue. We suggest that you use Windows Defender or a third-party security software to scan your system.

Keep us updated with the results.

Gino Des, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Windows Security change affecting PowerShell

Administrator security settings keep changing

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

What error message do you get when you try to save and sync files?

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open command prompt and type the commands below (Type it in Search or Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Command Prompt admin).
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the Command Prompt window.
    Try these steps as well.

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows Security change affecting PowerShell

1. Windows Security change affecting PowerShell - Similar Threads - Security change affecting

2. Changing powershell language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing powershell language: Hello,I've first noticed this with winget, but today I found out that my entire powershell app is set to Russian while the rest of the OS is set to Finnish w/ a Polish keyboard complicated situation. While I've used windows in Russian in the past, it was on my previous...
  3. Powershell command to change application advance security settings in registry.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell command to change application advance security settings in registry.: In order to collect application data in the security audit logs for EventViewer the application permissions in the registry need to be adjusted. I have done this manually and have it working with Azure Sentinel. I need to deploy this across the entire range of assigned...
  4. Windows Security through PowerShell

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security through PowerShell: Is there a way to take action towards threats in Windows Security automatically through a PowerShell applet or cmd command? For example, I see that there was a threat detected, I could run a script on my desktop that quickly tells Windows Security to remove or allow the...
  5. Powershell and Secure Boot

Powershell and Secure Boot: Hi All, I am trying to disable Secure Boot. But this is not possible via BIOS as there is no option to do this. And, it is set to "Standard". Nor is it possible via UEFI. However it is possible via Powershell but there is something wrong with the code. First you set, then...
  6. BootHole vulnerability in Secure Boot affecting Linux and Windows

in Windows 10 News
    BootHole vulnerability in Secure Boot affecting Linux and Windows: [ATTACH] “BootHole” vulnerability in the GRUB2 bootloader opens up Windows and Linux devices using Secure Boot to attack. All operating systems using GRUB2 with Secure Boot must release new installers and bootloaders. Join Eclypsium for a webinar...
  7. Changing PowerShell Icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing PowerShell Icon: So , i've been trying to make Windows 10 Look as close as possible to Linux.So far it's been going great , till i got to PowerShell. I've installed Chocolatey so i have a package manager and it's really great , but i tried changing the icon and it's just not working. I wantd...
  8. Windows Security affected items action

Windows Security affected items action: I am sure this is a rooky question, but I can't find a Help definition to assist me. Running Windows 10, Windows Security alerted me that it identified and blocked a Trojan. Status says "removed". but below that it has a selection button labeled Actions. When I click that,...
  9. Powershell GUI Change

in Windows 10 Support
    Powershell GUI Change: Hi everyone! I recently notice that my powershell change his skin and i don't why. I try to run sfc command but nothing has been found. try to uncheck powershell 2.0 from turn windows features off or on but no luck. The powershell work perfect on cmd terminal but not for...
  10. All windows affected by Security Flaw

in Windows 10 News
    All windows affected by Security Flaw: All versions of Windows affected by critical security flaw | ZDNet 26337