Windows 10: Windows Security/Defender/Virus and Protection not working

Discus and support Windows Security/Defender/Virus and Protection not working in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all,My Windows Security/Defender/Virus and Protection have all appeared to stop working. My real-time protection is off and I can't switch it off. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Liam1992, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Liam1992 Win User

Windows Security/Defender/Virus and Protection not working

Hi all,My Windows Security/Defender/Virus and Protection have all appeared to stop working. My real-time protection is off and I can't switch it off. I did not have any 3rd party antivirus software at the time just installed Avira free to plug the gap for now. May I kindly ask how I may go about reinstalling / restarting these services? I have tried suggestions using powershell, regedit and services but they all don't seem to work. I have also kept my windows up to date and tried resetting Windows Security in app settings.I have also tried sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHe

:)

Liam1992, Jul 12, 2021

2. Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

Windows Security/Defender/Virus and Protection not working wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Jul 12, 2021
  3. vicf1 Win User
    Clear Windows Security Center (Defender) Protection History

Did not work for me. After going through all steps I still have protection history full

vicf1, Jul 12, 2021
  4. Le Boule Win User

windows defender virus and threat protection

Are you sure the malware has been removed? Remove the Боковая панель - Комета or Kometa Adware & Browser

Is Malwarebytes now providing real time protection for your computer? If so then it may have disabled Windows Defender.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

See Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

And/Or

How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

You might also want to review https://www.winhelp.us/configure-windows-defender-security-center.html
    Good information but ignore the ads.

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Jul 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Security/Defender/Virus and Protection not working - Similar Threads - Security Defender Virus

2. Windows Defender's Real-time-virus protection not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender's Real-time-virus protection not working: Windows Defender's Real-time virus protection is not working on my pc. It is showing "Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more information." Please help me out. I have...
  3. Windows Defender's Real-time-virus protection not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender's Real-time-virus protection not working: Windows Defender's Real-time virus protection is not working on my pc. It is showing "Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more information." Please help me out. I have...
  4. windows defender/security protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender/security protection: I have Windows Defender but unlike "antivirus" and "firewall" under "web protection" it states "no providers". Does this mean I have no web protection and need to download and install an app for web protection? Or is Windows Defender enough protection all alone?...
  5. Virus got through Windows Defender, crippled Windows Security Virus & threat protection.

Virus got through Windows Defender, crippled Windows Security Virus & threat protection.: Hi. Today I noticed that I hadn't got a Windows Update in a while. Sure enough, I discovered that the service was broken and could not be started manually. The reason for this, after a bit of digging, was that a good chunk of the registry entries for the Windows Update...
  6. Virus protection on windows defender

Virus protection on windows defender: My virus protection on windows defender will not scan as it states that I am using another provider although I have not subscribed to any other provider . This is a recent occurrence (2 days) . Any ideas?...
  7. Windows Defender Security - Virus & Threat Protection Problem

Windows Defender Security - Virus & Threat Protection Problem: Hi Microsoft service, I need your help to fix my computer that I had struggle to find why Virus & Threat Protection is not working. I was updated Windows 10 Update. There are some changes to add new feature. Need your help to fix my computer. Regards, Spring...
  8. Windows defender Virus Protection

Windows defender Virus Protection: I had uninstalled Third Party Antivirus Software after its validy After that I can not able to switch on Windows Defender Virus Protection . It is showing message your virus and protection is managed by your organization Pl help to restore the setting by switching on...
  9. Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection

Windows 10 Windows Defender Security Center/Virus and Threat Protection: Just this week I started receiving notifications that virus and threat protection was turned off. When I checked all the settings under virus and threat protection were turned off and when I attempted to turn them on I received a pop-up message: User Account Control Do...
  10. Windows 10 Defender - Virus and Threat Protection Not Working

Windows 10 Defender - Virus and Threat Protection Not Working: Hello, I recently deleted some antivirus programs from my windows. Then I came to know that my windows 10 defender was not working properly. I have green tick on my VIRUS AND THREAT PROTECTION option which means it is working properly, but, I can't scan anything. When I click...