Windows 10: Windows Security dialog closes abruptly and freezes calling app when trying to use USB Key

Discus and support Windows Security dialog closes abruptly and freezes calling app when trying to use USB Key in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When trying to authenticate to my google account either on Chrome or Edge using my titan security key, the Windows Security dialog comes up, after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DenisBU, Jul 20, 2021.

1. DenisBU Win User

Windows Security dialog closes abruptly and freezes calling app when trying to use USB Key

When trying to authenticate to my google account either on Chrome or Edge using my titan security key, the Windows Security dialog comes up, after I insert my key and touch it the dialog closes abruptly and my browser shows the typical message "Something went wrong" "Try another way" and "Try again". Except that the browser window is completely irresponsive. When clicked on it sounds as if it had a modal dialog opened, and it can't be interacted with. I have to close it via Task Manager.The same happens when trying to add a new security key to my google account using a browser. Pretty much any

:)

DenisBU, Jul 20, 2021
  2. Farvatten Win User

Win key (close for apps?)

I don't know of any way within Windows itself, but there is this well respected free open source program called Autohotkey that can do it easily.

You can even pick which Win Key to disable either 'LWin' or 'RWin' found under Modifier Keys in 'List all supported keys' link in this tutorial:

Autohotkey does not work for some some keys that are 'hard-wired' like the Win Key. See post #3

Disable Keyboard Keys in Windows with AutoHotKey

Farvatten, Jul 20, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    dont have usb for security key

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get better clarity on the issue, please let us know:

• When you say “got deleted off usb or usb flash drive is not working either way", are you unable to use USB flash drive on the computer?
    • When you say “I don't exactly have a security key", which security key are you referring to?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? Refer
      Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

I would suggest you to try plugging the USB to a different USB port and check if that helps. You can also try connecting the USB to a different computer and check.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Error: “USB Device not recognized" when you try to access a USB external hard drive
    except Method 1 & 2 and see if that makes any difference.

A security key is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since it’s used in addition to a fingerprint or PIN, even if someone has your security key, they won’t be able to sign in without the PIN or fingerprint
    that you create.​​​

However, if you had configured security key earlier by any chance, you may refer Sign
    in to your Microsoft account with Windows Hello or a security key

For additional information, see
    Windows Hello and FIDO2 Security Keys enable secure and easy authentication for shared devices

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 20, 2021
  4. Windows Security dialog closes abruptly and freezes calling app when trying to use USB Key

Windows 10 photo app crashes (closes) when try to print

Hello,

Possible that too much cache and data files are causing the Photos app to crash. For troubleshooting purposes, we suggest that you try to sign out your Microsoft account, sign back in, and then try to check if you will be able to run the troubleshooter for
    Windows apps.

We also advise that you try to reset the Windows Store cache and see if it helps. You may refer to the steps below on how to reset the Windows Store cache:

• Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog.
    • Type WSReset.exe.
    • Click on OK.

WSReset.exe is a troubleshooting tool designed to reset the Windows Store without changing account settings or deleting installed apps. The Windows Store and the command prompt will open without any message. The command prompt will automatically
    close when the Store cache has been reset.

Keep us posted so that we can further help.

Stephanie Sal, Jul 20, 2021
Thema:

Windows Security dialog closes abruptly and freezes calling app when trying to use USB Key

1. Windows Security dialog closes abruptly and freezes calling app when trying to use USB Key - Similar Threads - Security dialog closes

2. App closes when I press the Windows key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App closes when I press the Windows key: This happens mainly with games for me because in some games I can't toggle between the monitors so I've been using the Windows key to do so for almost 2 years but today it started minimising the game from the screen but ofc it was still open . I just had to open it again from...
  3. Automatically close new teams app when taking call or trying to take test call.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically close new teams app when taking call or trying to take test call.: Windows 11 OS PC- Dell Optiplex 9020RAM - 8GBI found below error log in event log Faulting application name: ms-teams.exe, version: 23320.3021.2567.4799, time stamp: 0x65719f33 Faulting module name: EmbeddedBrowserWebView.dll, version: 120.0.2210.77, time stamp: 0x657aab39...
  4. Automatically close new teams app when taking call or trying to take test call.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically close new teams app when taking call or trying to take test call.: Windows 11 OS PC- Dell Optiplex 9020RAM - 8GBI found below error log in event log Faulting application name: ms-teams.exe, version: 23320.3021.2567.4799, time stamp: 0x65719f33 Faulting module name: EmbeddedBrowserWebView.dll, version: 120.0.2210.77, time stamp: 0x657aab39...
  5. Photos application closes abruptly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos application closes abruptly.: In the photos application, when I am viewing photos displaying the file information panel, when browsing the photos the application closes abruptly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-application-closes-abruptly/b7e1ac6b-5ab7-4029-b2d5-2b89f56cd48a
  6. Photos application closes abruptly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos application closes abruptly.: In the photos application, when I am viewing photos displaying the file information panel, when browsing the photos the application closes abruptly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-application-closes-abruptly/b7e1ac6b-5ab7-4029-b2d5-2b89f56cd48a
  7. Settings app freezes and closes when trying to reinstall a printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings app freezes and closes when trying to reinstall a printer: So, i used to have a printer installed, but somehow, it automatically reinstalled. now any app that I try to use print on freezes and says "not responding". And whenever I try to install a printer in settings, the app freezes and closes. How can I fix this?...
  8. Getchar socket abruptly closing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Getchar socket abruptly closing: Yeah. That's what I say. What? I am using windows 10 Home edition version 1511 HP laptop 64 bit 8 gb ram 500 gb hd. I recently reinstalled windows and am experiencing very slow and sometimes incomplete downloads. I checked errors and read that my connection shows "Getchar...
  9. Waiting for apps to close dialog not appearing on shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Waiting for apps to close dialog not appearing on shutdown.: This problem has plagued my computer for quite a while now and I tested this with a few apps. I opened up Microsoft Word on my computer and then I selected "Shut down" from the Start Menu. When it displayed "shutting down," the dialog box saying "Closing apps and shutting...
  10. Computer freezes abruptly

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezes abruptly: This machine is just a month or so old, but am having a few problems. It just freezes sometimes without warning: happened 3 times playing a video/movie and 2 times while just navigating among my own text files etc. Power settings don't work, only that I need to kill the...