Windows 10: Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off

Discus and support Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off. When I try a Quick scan it always stops with the message: "Your PC couldn't be scanned.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JeremyCowling1, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off

Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off. When I try a Quick scan it always stops with the message:

"Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped"

The Support info gives:

"Error code: 0x800106ba"

This only started happening today. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSE but no change. I don't have any other anti-virus software installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

:)

JeremyCowling1, Mar 19, 2019

2. Windows 10 Windows Defender versus Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi Bryan,

Microsoft Security Essentials was upgraded to Windows defender and it was a default security software from Windows 8. You cannot have both as they are one.

Since you get this annoying popup at the startup i suggest you to disable any Microsoft Security Essentials entries in Startup tab.

• Open the Task manager. by pressing Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • click on Startup tab
    • Right click on Microsoft Security Essentials entry and click on Disable.

Restart the computer and check if that helps.

Waseemulla S, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - Security Essential installed and Defender turned off - cannot uninstall Essential

My Windows 7 has Security Essential installed. Upgraded yesterday to Windows 10 and keep getting message that Defender is turned OFF.

OK, I found out that no way to turn it ON, all greyed. Guess it must be conflicting with Security Essential. No way to turn off Essential. Tried uninstall it but keep getting funny eroor, "you cannot install Essential in this PC". I am not install, in fact
    I am uninstalling ...

So this" Catch 22'' situation is due to Defender vs Essential fighting inside my PC while there is nothing I can do

1. I cannot turn off Essential

2. I cannot uninstall Essential

3. I cannot trun on Defender as long as Essential is in control

Any idea on how to get out of this situation?

[Moved from Windows]

ilee.in.eattle, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Bryan1000 Win User

Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off

Windows 10 Windows Defender versus Microsoft Security Essentials

I do not have Microsoft Security Essentials in that startup list. I only have Ms Security Client User Interface and Windows Defender User Interface in the list.

Bryan

Bryan1000, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off

1. Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off - Similar Threads - Security Essentials Defender

2. How to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials: How do I turn off Microsoft Security Essentials for windows 7 ?? Just pause it so I can restore my computer to an earlier date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-microsoft-security-essentials/ce8567ee-e721-4577-bf51-23768e1ecd88
  3. How to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials: How do I turn off Microsoft Security Essentials for windows 7 ?? Just pause it so I can restore my computer to an earlier date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-microsoft-security-essentials/ce8567ee-e721-4577-bf51-23768e1ecd88
  4. Windows Defender keeps turning off on iPhone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender keeps turning off on iPhone: The Windows Defender keeps turning off my iPhone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-keeps-turning-off-on-iphone/d7c17fc3-673e-4545-8373-bde4c8925ad3
  5. Windows Defender keeps turning off on iPhone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender keeps turning off on iPhone: The Windows Defender keeps turning off my iPhone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-keeps-turning-off-on-iphone/d7c17fc3-673e-4545-8373-bde4c8925ad3
  6. Microsoft Security Essentials keeps turning itself off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Security Essentials keeps turning itself off: This just began this morning. I see from other posts in the past several years this typically happens because of an issue with an update. Is anyone else having this problem today?...
  7. Microsoft Security Essentials Turns Itself Off

Microsoft Security Essentials Turns Itself Off: Recently my MSE turns itself off for no reason. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. * Moved from Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-security-essentials-turns-itself-off/726b0af3-db83-42d7-bddb-15a2d5e6cdf2
  8. Microsoft Security Essentials Keeps Turning Itself Off

Microsoft Security Essentials Keeps Turning Itself Off: Starting this morning, and apparently with the last update, Microsoft Security Essentials keeps turning itself off. I am on Windows 7 Pro, and the latest version of the update is 1.289.1521.0 This is very annoying and potentially scary. Only other spyware running is...
  9. Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender

Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender: I have been running Win10 for a couple of years now and have depended on Windows Defender as my anti-virus protection along with Malware Bytes. So far no problems. While surfing this morning a came across an articled which implied Defender alone needed the company of Windows...
  10. windows defender & security center services keep turning off

windows defender & security center services keep turning off: Hello, my problem is that windows defender is turned off, and I cant get it to restart. I had a malware issue, after clicking a faulty setup file. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware deleted around 900 infected files. After reboot I realised that Windows Defender was turned off....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft sercurity essentials keep turning off once i log off computer