Windows 10: Windows Security file location

Discus and support Windows Security file location in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello there! I have a version of Windows Live Messenger 8.5 with a custom community handled server installed on windows 10, and one of the settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JosephWatts1215, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Windows Security file location

Hello there! I have a version of Windows Live Messenger 8.5 with a custom community handled server installed on windows 10, and one of the settings options lets you choose a specific app to scan .exe files for viruses. I want to use windows defender / windows security, but I don't know where it is located in the systems files. Can you help me out by letting me know where Windows Defender's .exe file is located in the system? Thanks a bunch!

:)

JosephWatts1215, Jul 10, 2020

2. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Jeffis108 Win User
    Network security questions

To block websites with the host file, you need to do the following:

In windows 7, your host file is located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc .
    Open the file "hosts" (no extention) with any editor I like notepad2.

Then download or copy a good host file list. Ive have very good luck with this file. Using a Hosts File To Make The Internet Not Suck (as much)

Paste the contents of that web page into your host file. Save it. Remember there is no extention to the file.

Restart your PC and your all done.

**EDIT I've even gone a step further to increase the speed of my browsing so that the webpage doesnt send multiple requests looking for the blocked address. I use a mini webserver on my HTPC called iWebserver located at http://www.ashleybrown.co.uk/iweb/ .

In the Hosts file I've renamed all the 127.0.0.1 addresses to point to the IP of my internal webserver. This causes the website you are on to actually get a responce from your server but it gets a blank page instead of no responce. I've noticed my websurfing speeds increase dramatically this way.

Hope this helps.
    Jeff

Jeffis108, Jul 10, 2020
  4. DCEd Win User

Windows Security file location

How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?

To try and keep a long story as short as possible:

I'm trying to install Win 10 on an external SSD, which I can boot on my MacBook Pro.

To complete the installation I have downloaded:
    - install.esd and converted it to install.wim
    - Windows 10 Pro ISO from Microsoft
    - Boot Camp drivers from Apple

The final piece of the puzzle is to complete this step:

• Windows AIK (free) running on your Virtual Machine or on your PC, or just the imagex.exe file (the rest of the Windows AIK package is not needed)

This is to complete this final stage of the installation:

Step 3: Deploy the Windows installation image

1. Still using the command prompt in admin mode (you didn't close it, did you? *Wink ), locate the imagex.exe file mentioned in the "What you'll need" section and access its folder. In our example, we have put this file in C:\imagex\imagex.exe
    2. Your Windows installation ISO has probably several installation options in it. So in order to identify the right one, type in the following:imagex.exe /info C:\wim\install.wim
    3. Now identify the INDEX number of the installation that you wish to deploy. You will use it in the next step.
    4. Type the following and hit enter. Replace 1 with the INDEX you identified in the previous step. Also remember to replace o: with the letter you have chosen in the previous step:imagex.exe /apply C:\wim\install.wim 1 o:
      This will take some time. The Windows installation image is being deployed to your external drive
    5. Once done, type the following to create the boot section (remember to replace o: and b: with the letters you've chosen in the previous step)Windows Security file location :eek::\windows\system32\bcdboot o:\windows /f ALL /s b:

I'm doing this on a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7.
      I've also purchased a genuine license for Windows 10 Pro.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thema:

Windows Security file location

1. Windows Security file location - Similar Threads - Security file location

2. File location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File location: Hi,I recently upgraded to windows 11 and can't find where control panel is located, I used to like win 98 start where you could see a 'family tree' to where a file' was located.I've done a search in my computer; But I can't work out where the .exe file for this is located?...
  3. File location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File location: Hi,I recently upgraded to windows 11 and can't find where control panel is located, I used to like win 98 start where you could see a 'family tree' to where a file' was located.I've done a search in my computer; But I can't work out where the .exe file for this is located?...
  4. file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file location: Good afternoon,I recently installed two games Cities skylines and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, but for the life of me I cannot find their file location. I have searched the web and all traditional methods do not seem to work. Some say to access the WindowsApps folder, however...
  5. file location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file location: Good afternoon,I recently installed two games Cities skylines and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, but for the life of me I cannot find their file location. I have searched the web and all traditional methods do not seem to work. Some say to access the WindowsApps folder, however...
  6. File locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File locations: I am using Windows 10 64-bit. I have discovered that not all of my image files that are stored at "C:\users\bob\pictures\wallpaper" exist when accessed unsuccessfully! via "This PC\Pictures\Wallpaper." Essentially any file saved to the C:\ address as of a few days ago today...
  7. Location file

Location file: Hi, For the past 4/5 months, i got notification about update.everytime i installed, file wont show in the correct location, where they were. With today, ive just restarted my laptop, and all files disappeared.i need a big help, because all the files were important for my...
  8. File Location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Location: After a clean install of Win10, I'm looking at the apps that are installed by default. There are a lot of apps that are 16 KB in file size (3D Viewer, App Installer, etc). I don't see how they could possibly 16 KB, and it would make more sense that these are mere shortcuts to...
  9. File Location

File Location: Hello there, Files usually come in a format somewhat similar to C:/Users/username123/Downloads/file.jpg, so I was wondering if there is a way for me to change the 'username123' part? I tried heading to the control panel to modify my account name, but that didn't do the...
  10. Locating files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Locating files: My desktop recently tried updating windows and it wasn't installed properly and i had to do a system recovery. after the recovery, all my school documents and project were erased and i cant retrieve them with recovery software. also, every time i try to access the file that...