Windows 10: windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software

Discus and support windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Just started today. Surely MS doesn't mean to flag the CCleaner folks. From Windows Security > Virus & threat protection Detection:... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dogpark96, Jul 27, 2020.

1. dogpark96 Win User

windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software

Just started today. Surely MS doesn't mean to flag the CCleaner folks.

From Windows Security > Virus & threat protection

Detection: PUA:Win32/CCleaner
    Date: 7/27/2020 7:23 AM
    Details: This program has potentially unwanted behavior.
    Severity: Low

Insider build: 20H2, OS Build 19042.421, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Thank you

:)

dogpark96, Jul 27, 2020

2. Windows 1903. Spyware and Unwanted Software Protection missing.

I first noticed this in the Nightly version of Fx under their Security Software list in about:support. The Antispyware name was blank. I believe prior to Windows 10 1903 it was listed as Windows Defender Antispyware or something like that.

Looking at Windows 10 1903 Security and Maintenance|Security only the Firewall and AV is listed. I believe, might be wrong on this, that it used to say something like Spyware and Unwanted Software Protection.Can anyone else who only uses Windows Defender on 1903 confirm that there is no antispyware program listed under S&M/Security? If so, is it now baked into the AV and not listed separately? I found a reg entry that if you create it an enable it is supposed to activate PUS and PUP but that still doesn't show up in any listing.

streetwolf, Jul 27, 2020
  3. CCleaner

> Is it safe to install ccleaner on my pc?

Depends...

Piriform (the maker of CCleaner etc) was bought by Avast in July 2017 and there was this nasty incident...

All CCleaner versions are bundling Avast AV and/or various Google products such as Google Chrome, a Google toolbar and possibly other products....

Microsoft Community has seen quite a few of related threads.

Recently more and more threads are popping up in the Piriform/CCleaner forum which hint at even more questionable methods...

Here are a few recent example threads:

IMO, CCleaner is not unproblematic and has to be treated carefully.

I, personally, would not recommend CCleaner to inexperienced and/or not so tech-savvy persons...

Suggestion to inform yourself before installing CCleaner (or any other product) and to always, always keep your eyes wide open during installation (watch out for any bundled softwares etc etc).

You also might want to read this article (in case you don't use an ad blocker: ignore all advertisements):

https://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

WRT to CCleaner on Windows 10:

According to
    this
    post Windows 10 blocks older versions: "CC v5.27 and older, (or somewhere around there) are no longer deemed safe by MS and automatically blocked when starting."

HTH,

Julia

Jsssssssss, Jul 27, 2020
  4. windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software

What does 'Partially Removed' of Potential Unwanted Software in MS Security Scanner means?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with Windows Defender on your Windows 10 PC. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you currently using any 3rd party Anti-Virus application or Security suite?

We would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that fix the issue.

1. Press Windows + R key to launch the
      Run command.
    2. Type regedit and click on
      Ok.

3. Navigate to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
    4. Look for disableAntiSpyware - Right Click and Delete or select Default - set value to "0"
    5. Close the registry, restart the PC and check.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify
    the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take
    backup of registry.

Also refer this article as reference: How to protect your Windows 10 PC

We await your response,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software

1. windows security flagging CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted Software - Similar Threads - security flagging CCleaner

2. Virus or Potentially unwanted software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus or Potentially unwanted software: I don't know what happened all the apps that i download on PC is not working, when I click on them they show up this message "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software" so how can I get my apps back...
  3. Virus or Potentially unwanted software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virus or Potentially unwanted software: I don't know what happened all the apps that i download on PC is not working, when I click on them they show up this message "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software" so how can I get my apps back...
  4. Virus or Potentially unwanted software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. potentially unwanted app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    potentially unwanted app: so my computer has been running fine and no issues, and later today i tried to log in and it let me but whenever i restart it just shows a gray screen and i can't do anything....it takes forever to go away, it says this is the issue but i dont know how to fix it. and it said...
  6. potential unwanted apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    potential unwanted apps: i did a scan on my hp computer, found a potential unwanted app. now in the taskbar over the windows security shield their is a yellow triangle and i click on shield and it says windows security action recommend}. i click on shield and it takes me to protection history and...
  7. CCleaner lagged as potentially unwanted by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 News
    CCleaner lagged as potentially unwanted by Windows Defender: Microsoft Defender Antivirus flags certain CCleaner installers as potentially unwanted software according to a new database entry on the company's malware encyclopedia site. CCleaner is a popular tool for Windows to remove temporary files to free up disk space. It comes with...
  8. Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App: CCleaner, one of the enormously popular free PC optimization suites for Windows, is now being detected as Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) on Windows 10 after a recent update to Windows Defender platform. CCleaner basically allows you to optimize your system using its...
  9. Potentially unwanted app

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Potentially unwanted app: Recent scans are showing PUA:Win32/MyWebSearch loaded on to my PC on 15 June in file: \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy4\Users\User\Desktop\C\Users\Andy\AppData\LocalLow\HeadlineAlley_29\bar\Cache\1CBDAD6E.cab. I've run the Remove action in protection history several times,...
  10. What does 'Partially Removed' of Potential Unwanted Software in MS Security Scanner means?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does 'Partially Removed' of Potential Unwanted Software in MS Security Scanner means?: [ATTACH] so i full scan my pc and this trojan is keep on coming back to my os. because it affects my Windows Defender that i see an 'X' mark on the taskbar when i clicked on it, it says that ''your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization''. i just...