Windows 10: Windows security for volume shadow copy (backups?)

Discus and support Windows security for volume shadow copy (backups?) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Microsoft: Can you fix Windows Security to stop re-detecting the same apps over and over again that I've already allowed/approved? Example: file:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/macgyver24x7, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Windows security for volume shadow copy (backups?)

Microsoft: Can you fix Windows Security to stop re-detecting the same apps over and over again that I've already allowed/approved?

Example:

file: \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy7\Utilities\ncat\ncat.exe

They seem to be triggered from the built-in backups app that I have enabled.

thanks,

Mac

submitted by /u/macgyver24x7
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/macgyver24x7, Nov 11, 2019

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered.

Hi,

Thank you for getting back with a reply.

I suggest you to start the Volume shadow copy service and check. Follow these steps:

a. Click Start and type services.msc in the search box.

b. Search for the Volume shadow copy service and make sure the start- up type is automatic.

i. Right click on the service

ii. If the service is stopped, then Start the service

iii. Select Properties

iv. And in the Start-up type select Automatic.

c. Click Ok.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Nov 11, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Backup fails, error 0x81000019, shadow copy could not be created

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1

I suggest you to make sure “Volume shadow copy Service” is enabled.

Follow these steps:

• Press “Windows key + R” from the keyboard.

• Type “services.msc” without quotes in the “Run” Window and hit Enter.

• Locate “Volume shadow copy" service.

• Right click on it and select “Start” option.

• Close the “Services” Window.

• Check if the issue persists.
    Method 2

Place the computer in Clean Boot and then try to perform Backup.

You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Igor Win User

Windows security for volume shadow copy (backups?)

Volume Shadow Copy Service - Security Permission Error

The fix is to update the Launch and Activation Permissions for the Volume Shadow Copy Service. I saw that CrashPlan is using a VBScript file to start an executable. After finding out what user the executable is running under using a list of processes running on my PC in the Task Manager I added that user to the Launch and Activation Permissions with all 4 permissions checked. This solved the problem.

Steps to add the user to the permissions:

This was only possible after taking ownership (security setting) of the registry key. To do that follow these steps I found on this blog:

1. Run Regedit.exe and browse to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{56BE716B-2F76-4DFA-8702-67AE10044F0B} key
    2. Secondary-mouse click on the {56BE716B-2F76-4DFA-8702-67AE10044F0B} key and select Permissions
    3. Click the Advanced button in the Permissions window and select the Owner tab. Under Change owner to select the local Administrators group and click on Apply, then OK.
    4. Then under Permissions window, select the local Administrators group and under Permissions for Administrators select Full Control and click on Apply, then OK.

Thema:

Windows security for volume shadow copy (backups?)

1. Windows security for volume shadow copy (backups?) - Similar Threads - security volume shadow

2. Shadow copy error on windows backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shadow copy error on windows backup: I can no longer get a clean backup with Microsoft backup. I keep getting a shadow copy error code 0x81000037. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-error-on-windows-backup/68f360d8-42eb-4095-9d42-20b381f69c1b
  3. Shadow copy error on windows backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shadow copy error on windows backup: I can no longer get a clean backup with Microsoft backup. I keep getting a shadow copy error code 0x81000037. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-error-on-windows-backup/68f360d8-42eb-4095-9d42-20b381f69c1b
  4. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  5. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  6. Volume shadow copy error

7. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  8. PROBLEM WITH NAS BACKUP VOLUME SHADOW COPY RESETS ON EVERY REBOOT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PROBLEM WITH NAS BACKUP VOLUME SHADOW COPY RESETS ON EVERY REBOOT: I have Windows 10 installed and use Acronis to back up the hard drive to a NAS system. I understand from Acronis who have looked at the logs that the problem I'm having is because the Volume Shadow Copy is not starting. If you set this to be on and start, it will not stay on...
  9. PROBLEM WITH NAS BACKUP VOLUME SHADOW COPY RESETS ON EVERY REBOOT

PROBLEM WITH NAS BACKUP VOLUME SHADOW COPY RESETS ON EVERY REBOOT: I have Windows 10 installed and use Acronis to back up the hard drive to a NAS system. I understand from Acronis who have looked at the logs that the problem I'm having is because the Volume Shadow Copy is not starting. If you set this to be on and start, it will not stay on...
  10. Windows Backup – shadow copy fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup – shadow copy fails: Shadow copy fails with no useful info. [ATTACH] <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" /> <EventID>517</EventID>...