Windows 10: Windows Security icon doesn't turn red if you disable a firewall and then immediately click...

Discus and support Windows Security icon doesn't turn red if you disable a firewall and then immediately click... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I apologize for the wordy title, but I don't know how I could trim that down without taking away what I want to say. Background that everyone already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Altcringe, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Windows Security icon doesn't turn red if you disable a firewall and then immediately click...

I apologize for the wordy title, but I don't know how I could trim that down without taking away what I want to say.

Background that everyone already knows: Windows has a firewall, and you can control basic settings here and advanced settings here. When you disable one of the firewalls (either Domain, Private, or Public profile) from the Windows Security settings, you get the UAC pop up (assuming yours is still turned on), and then you'll get a notification telling you a firewall was turned off and the Windows security taskbar icon that is usually green will turn red. If you go back to the Windows Security settings, the Firewall tile tells you one or more firewall is off. The same thing happens when you turn off a firewall from the Advance Settings screen, albeit without the UAC pop up (which seems like its own security flaw but we'll move past it for now).

All of the above is true except for two specific sequences of mouse clicks. If you turn off any of three firewalls from the Windows Security screen and then immediately click the Home navigation button on the left side (Home, Virus & threat protection, etc.) or click the notification pop-up before the icons and tiles change on their own, you will still get a notification, but the security icon will not turn red, and the Security at a glance home screen will tell you everything is ok and no action is needed. If you click elsewhere in the Security settings and go back Home or close the Security screen altogether and re-open it, you'll be told that a firewall is off and to turn it on with a Red 'x' on that tile, but the security shield icon will still stay green. This does not happen if you click the back button or any of the other areas from the left. When you do go to turn it back on and click 'Yes' on the UAC pop-up, the icon will show it as red briefly before turning green.

I don't know if this is a glitch only on my computer, or other people notice this too (I would appreciate if others tried this out to see; if you're concerned about your firewall being off for any amount of time, either turn your internet off or do it on one of the network profiles you're not currently using). Either way, this seems like a pretty notable security flaw or bug. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill since, again, the UAC pop up still comes up and the notification still appears, but considering I and most people usually use the taskbar icon to glance at to make sure all things are ok, this might be an issue even if this only happens in a very specific scenario that you have to go out of your way to deliberately do.

DISCLAIMER: If you do try this out, do not click "Restore settings", as that will reset all of your firewall settings back to default including your inbound and outbound rules. Just turn the specific firewall back on.

submitted by /u/Altcringe
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Altcringe, Feb 22, 2023
  2. Karla Alm Win User

Windows Firewall security alert keeps popping up.

Hello,

Windows Firewall plays an important part in helping to protect your computer against virus and security threats. Your concern is cause by a conflicting changes in your security settings. However we suggest that you turn off Security messages for Network
    firewall temporarily to check if the issue persists. Follow these steps:

• Click Start menu.
    • Type Control Panel.
    • Choose System and Security > Security and Maintenance.
    • On the left side, click Change Security and Maintenance settings.
    • Uncheck the box on the left side of Network firewall.
    • Restart your computer.

After an hour, enable Network firewall again. We also recommend that you use another browser and check if the issue persists.

Note: If you disable Windows Firewall for a long period of time, your computer will be more vulnerable to unauthorized access to your network.

Thanks.

Karla Alm, Feb 22, 2023
  3. Disabling Firewall notifications in 1809?

This solution does not work, I got this notification after the first reboot:

Windows Security icon doesn't turn red if you disable a firewall and then immediately click... 247149d1568312069t-disabling-firewall-notifications-1809-a-firewall.jpg

The only fix that it works in this one:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender Security Center\Notifications]
    "DisableNotifications"=dword:00000001
    "DisableEnhancedNotifications"=dword:00000001

mgcarnevali, Feb 22, 2023
  4. BetoLP Win User

Windows Security icon doesn't turn red if you disable a firewall and then immediately click...

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Windows Security icon doesn't turn red if you disable a firewall and then immediately click... 233722d1557862791t-windows-doesn-t-start-authomatic-repair-doesn-t-work-hdd-test-1-.png

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Feb 22, 2023
Thema:

Windows Security icon doesn't turn red if you disable a firewall and then immediately click...

1. Windows Security icon doesn't turn red if you disable a firewall and then immediately click... - Similar Threads - Security icon doesn't

2. Firewall disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall disabled: I recently uninstalled the Norton 360 AV suite I'd been using for a couple of years in favor of another AV software. I soon get a notification from Windows security that the firewall services are inactive. I checked and saw that both Windows firewall and the new AV firewall...
  3. Firewall disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firewall disabled: I recently uninstalled the Norton 360 AV suite I'd been using for a couple of years in favor of another AV software. I soon get a notification from Windows security that the firewall services are inactive. I checked and saw that both Windows firewall and the new AV firewall...
  4. How to fix ""Turn on Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall is turned off. Tap or click to turn...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix ""Turn on Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall is turned off. Tap or click to turn...: I use an Dell Inspiron 15 3511, Windows 11 pro. About a week ago I reinstalled Malwarebytes privacy using Malwarebytes Support Tool ,because the program refused to open. During the process of reinstalling I accidently clicked “repair Windows Firewall”. Nothing major changed...
  5. How to fix ""Turn on Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall is turned off. Tap or click to turn...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix ""Turn on Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall is turned off. Tap or click to turn...: I use an Dell Inspiron 15 3511, Windows 11 pro. About a week ago I reinstalled Malwarebytes privacy using Malwarebytes Support Tool ,because the program refused to open. During the process of reinstalling I accidently clicked “repair Windows Firewall”. Nothing major changed...
  6. How do you disable "Windows Firewall is turned off" notifications in 20H2?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you disable "Windows Firewall is turned off" notifications in 20H2?: I'm on Windows 10 20H2 and need the firewall off because I install lots of apps that modify the system and host servers and stuff and the firewall is always blocking it. Don't tell me to make exceptions, I don't know stuff such as the ports. I just need these notifications...
  7. turn off windows security, anti virus and firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    turn off windows security, anti virus and firewall: cannot import app, laplink, whilst defender and firewall is active https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-security-anti-virus-and-firewall/c887e70b-a733-4a30-a0f2-b91a6eb05e2e
  8. "Security and Maintenance cannot turn on Windows Firewall"

"Security and Maintenance cannot turn on Windows Firewall": Hello. I am running Windows 10 on desktop Dell system. Last week, I started having problems with Thunderbird not auto downloading new messages from Gmail. Someone advised me to restart my computer in Safe Mode and see if that fixed the problem, because he suspected is was a...
  9. turn off windows firewall and kaspersky internet security

turn off windows firewall and kaspersky internet security: hi [img] how turn on? i click in view firewall option and click turn on kaspersky but it isnt work 43268
  10. Drive icons turn red

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive icons turn red: When look at This PC (in tile view) I get an icon for each drive with a stripe above it showing usage. Sometimes the bar goes red. I assume to show the drive is too full. What ratio is used? Can I change It ? Don Cole 65854