Windows 10: Windows security is deleting my safe files

Discus and support Windows security is deleting my safe files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; if you need to know, i have windows 10 version 1909. i am downloading a mod for one of my games, one important file that the game needs to launch keeps... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mikey_360, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Mikey_360 Win User

Windows security is deleting my safe files

if you need to know, i have windows 10 version 1909. i am downloading a mod for one of my games, one important file that the game needs to launch keeps getting deleting, even when its in the exclusions list. how can i stop it from doing this?

:)

Mikey_360, Apr 20, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Can I delete this unknown file safely?

Well then simply erase (Shift + Del) the $RECYCLE.BIN folder of that drive, I just find it odd that Windows doesn't pick up the drive's recycle bin when you connect it.
    And yes it's completely safe to delete the whole $RECYCLE.BIN folder, it wont affect any of the other files/folders on the drive, and whenever you delete (Del) another file it will be re-created.

temp02, Apr 20, 2020
  3. Tommygunn Win User
    Can I delete this unknown file safely?

I'm currently tidying up my external Western Digital HD and I ran Treesize to see where everything is.
    I came upon the highlighted file and sub files, below, which is hidden, but I wish to get rid of it as it contains 20Gb of data.
    It contains files, such as films, which I had previously deleted and which I thought had gone but which appear to have gone to some hidden deleted file.
    I presume it would be safe to delete this whole file and sub file via the Treesize application without it affecting all the stuff I want kept on the HD?

Tom.

Windows security is deleting my safe files HDUsage.jpg

Tommygunn, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Ken Blake Win User

How to safely delete Temp files in Windows 10?

They all can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example,
    if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use
    by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the
    next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows security is deleting my safe files - Similar Threads - security deleting safe

2. Its delete file backup no delete safe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Its delete file backup no delete safe?: Hi. i was trying to clear trash thing in my laptop local disk C: and i found a gigantic file that up to 6 gb and it said "file backup no delete" so its safe to just delete it?...
  3. Are these files safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Are these files safe to delete?: In my "Other People" tab, it says this is using nearly 80GB of my C Drive Storage, so I navigated to my Users folder only to find THOUSANDS of folders, are these safe to delete? They seem to be created each time I log in to my system, and hold absolutely nothing of value, yet...
  4. Are these files safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are these files safe to delete?: In my "Other People" tab, it says this is using nearly 80GB of my C Drive Storage, so I navigated to my Users folder only to find THOUSANDS of folders, are these safe to delete? They seem to be created each time I log in to my system, and hold absolutely nothing of value, yet...
  5. Are these files safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. .mrec files - is it safe to delete these.

.mrec files - is it safe to delete these.: I have over 40 gigs of .mrec files going back a number of years. They seem to be something to do with screen capture by something called mscproj. Is it safe to delete these....
  7. Safe files to temporarily delete

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe files to temporarily delete: Hello, I am attempting to get a bootable windows 10 usb, but I am stuck with doing it on a 28gb laptop. The laptop only has 5.3gb free storage, and I am struggling to find any other files to delete. I have 2 usb drives, 1 which I intended to put the windows installer on, the...
  8. Is It safe to delete ,"clog" files

Is It safe to delete ,"clog" files: Is It safe to delete ,"clog" files. The game "War Thunder" uses them and I'm getting knock of of their server. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-delete-clog-files/aa6424c5-5603-4f95-9c8f-033f2bef24d5
  9. Is it safe to delete a file in appdata

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it safe to delete a file in appdata: Recently my avast has detected a pair of viruses in a file deep in my appdata more specifically the file C:\Users\My username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows . I can't find a file inside it that is infected and scanning each individual file inside it doesn't find a virus only...
  10. Safe to delete these folders and file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe to delete these folders and file?: Doing a little house cleaning today and I ran across two folders and a file that I believe can be safely deleted. The folders are empty and the file is 0 bytes. Can I safely delete them? [img] 76096