Windows 10: Windows Security Smart Card popup

Discus and support Windows Security Smart Card popup in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When starting my computer I get the popup attached below, it comes up and has to be dismissed a total of four times. This happens on two different... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Hoarder23115, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Windows Security Smart Card popup

When starting my computer I get the popup attached below, it comes up and has to be dismissed a total of four times. This happens on two different Windows 10 devices I use. I use a smart card to access enterprise webmail on occasion and that works without issue. I do not use the smart card to log into my personal devices. The popups did not start on my new device until the first time I used the USB smart card reader.

I have not found anything that I am unable to do without hooking up the card and have no issues accessing the website that require the smart card so this is an annoyance not a capability breaking issue. I have seen similar questions asked multiple times without a clear resolution. I'm guessing that there is a setting somewhere that gets turned on when a smart card is introduced and I would like to disable it upon login.

Windows Security Smart Card popup 75d4cbac-1132-4116-a733-f658ac196b33?upload=true.jpg

:)

Hoarder23115, Dec 16, 2019
  2. Rob_U Win User

Windows Security is no longer recognizing my CAC reader (Smart Card reader)

Windows Security seems to have randomly stopped recognizing my CAC reader, this happened early September.

Typically whenever I access a website that needs my CAC (email, DTS, etc), it prompts me to select my name from a list of credentials, which I do. Then a box pops up from Windows Security asking me to select a smart card device, I click the only option
    and proceed and that's about it.

Now, though, when windows security prompts me to select a smart card device, there is no option. Instead, it simply says "connect a smart card."

I have tried with three different smart cards, all of which operate on other computers, none on mine. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media as well as the Device Manager both recognize the CAC reader when plugged in. I've uninstalled the device from device
    manager, reinstalled it and also updated the driver from the product's website.

To me, it seems that the computer is still recognizing the reader and the software is there - but Windows Security is somehow blocking the system from accessing/recognizing/allowing the reader.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows 10 and the CAC reader is ActivIdentity's USB Reader v3.0, P/N: ZFG-9820GAC

Rob_U, Dec 16, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Smart Card Error

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing while booting the PC to Windows 10 as you are getting the option to use your smart card login.

This could be due to accidentally configure the Windows system to allow only smart card login.
    Cards are a portable, secure and a tamper-proof way to provide security solutions for tasks such as client authentication, logging on to domains, code signing, and securing e-mail. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly,
    please reply with the answers to the questions below

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Does the PC connected to any domain network?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

However, you can try these methods and check if you are able to disable the smart card login.

Method 1: Disable Force Smart Card Login

If a problem prevents you from logging in to Windows with a smart card, start your computer in safe mode and disable this security feature. Smart Card Login option will not be available in Safe Mode. Whether
    you log in with a physical or virtual smart card, Windows stores your settings in the Windows NT Registry. If you’re able to log in to Windows, you can disable smart card login for future sessions by editing your local group policies. Disabling the Smart Card
    Plug and Play service removes the option to insert a smart card when logging in.

1. Login to Windows in Safe mode, please follow this
      safe mode article.
    2. Press Windows + R key to launch
      Run command.
    3. Type regedit in the Run dialog box and click OK.
    4. Navigate to the following key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PoliciesSystem
    5. In the right pane of this location, you’ll find a DWORD named scforceoption.
    6. In the Value Data field, change the current value of “1” to “0” and click “OK.”
    7. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer in normal mode. The login screen prompts you to enter your username and password rather than insert a smart card.

Method 2:
    Disable Smart Card Plug and Play Service.

1. Press Windows + R key to launch Run command.
    2. Type gpedit.msc in the Run dialog box and click OK.
    3. Navigate to “Computer Configuration>Policies>Windows Settings>Local Policies>Security Options>Interactive logon: Require smart cards”
    4. Right-click “Interactive logon: Require smart cards” and select “Edit.” In the Properties dialog, select “Disabled” to turn off this service
    5. Now navigate to “Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Smart Card>Turn On Smart Card Plug and Play Service”
    6. Right-click “Turn On Smart Card Plug and Play Service” and select “Edit.” In the Properties dialog, select “Disabled” to turn off this service and remove the smart card option from the login screen. Click
      “Apply” and “OK” to save your changes.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 16, 2019
  4. Windows Security Smart Card popup

Jsssssssss, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows Security Smart Card popup

1. Windows Security Smart Card popup - Similar Threads - Security Smart Card

2. Smart Audio Popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart Audio Popup: Suddenly, the Smart Audio Popup has been appearing stating the coexant device cannot be found. I have no idea what this means as my camera and other audio work. How do I stop this popup as it has become very annoying. Thank you....
  3. Smart Audio Popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart Audio Popup: Suddenly, the Smart Audio Popup has been appearing stating the coexant device cannot be found. I have no idea what this means as my camera and other audio work. How do I stop this popup as it has become very annoying. Thank you....
  4. Smart Audio Popup

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows security asking for a smart card

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows security asking for a smart card: Good morning everyone, I have to occasionally use a smart card reader to access work-related websites. I have the issue where windows gives me 3-5 popups whenever I start my computer asking for a smart card. It will also occasionally ask for a smart card when I attempt to...
  6. Windows Security (Smart Card Pin)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security (Smart Card Pin): Everytime I boot in, Windows Security prompts me to enter my Common Access Card. Even if I boot without my CAC Reader in. It only started doing this after the recent update. I've disabled the CAC Reader Driver, uninstalled DoD Certs and reinstalled, created a new profile and...
  7. Windows Security Repeated Smart Card Prompting

Windows Security Repeated Smart Card Prompting: When starting/restarting my PC, I get this windows security prompt to connect a smart card. I click cancel or x out of it, and it will show up another 5-10 times. This only happens when the PC is starting up. I searched for online results, and done things people have posted...
  8. windows security smart card problem after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows security smart card problem after update: Hello, i am a win 10 home user. yesterday i updated the latest windows 10 update and after this i keep getting this annoying smart card pop-up wich even after closing restarts immediatly. i am a somewhat experienced user but this problem has baffled me for the past hour...
  9. "Connect a smart card" popup when starting windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Connect a smart card" popup when starting windows: [ATTACH] Recently (probably after I installed Xbox app) I have been getting this popup every time I open my computer. After pressing Cancel 4 times, it goes away but it's annoying. When I connect my smart card reader it does detect it but it wants me to insert my card,...
  10. About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

About the security of Virtual Smart Cards: Hello all, Trying to have a good overview about the security of Virtual Smart Cards relying on TPMs, I read this very short article (the only I found) covering this topic (first part):...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows security smart card popup windows 10

2. windows security smart card popup

3. windows security smart card error

4. windows security smart card pop up,
  5. no windows security alert when inserting smart card,
  6. win10 pin popup smartcard,
  7. windows 10 smart card popup,
  8. smart card popup windows 10,
  9. VPN smart card errors,
  10. select a smartcard devide error message even though smartcard device attached,
  11. windows security smart card pin setting c#,
  12. windows smart card pop up,
  13. vpn causing windows security pop up the smart card cannot,
  14. disable windows security pop up for key authentication,
  15. everytime i reboot the computer windows secuirty asks for a smat card