Windows 10: windows security smart card problem after update

Discus and support windows security smart card problem after update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, i am a win 10 home user. yesterday i updated the latest windows 10 update and after this i keep getting this annoying smart card pop-up wich... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tomrubbens, Jan 14, 2020.

1. windows security smart card problem after update

Hello, i am a win 10 home user. yesterday i updated the latest windows 10 update and after this i keep getting this annoying smart card pop-up wich even after closing restarts immediatly.

i am a somewhat experienced user but this problem has baffled me for the past hour now. I first like to state that i as a home user have never had used or even know of a smart card feature before this problem i neither installed or used HP protectools and the smart card functionality is not listed in my installed programs.

things i have done so far:

-in system/services i have disabled all services related to smart card's

-i removed any notion of start up tasks related to the smart card

- i tried to roll back the update but this seems to be unsuccesfull

as a Home user my system also does not have the gpedit.msc functionality found in the enterprise or pro version as many guides suggest i should use.

Best regards and i hope for a quick solution to this problem

:)

tomrubbens, Jan 14, 2020

2. Windows Security Smart Card popup

Hi Hoarder,

Disable Smart Card Plug and Play Service

Step 1

Hold down the "Windows" key and press "R" to open the Run dialog. Type "gpedit.msc" at the prompt and press "Enter" to open the Local Group Policy Editor.

Step 2

Expand "Computer Configuration," "Administrative Templates" and "Windows Components" in the tree browser. Double-click the "Smart Card" folder in the main window.

Step 3

Right-click "Turn On Smart Card Plug and Play Service" and select "Edit." In the Properties dialog, select "Disabled" to turn off this service and remove the smart card option from the login screen. Click "Apply" and "OK" to save your changes.

Step 4

Close Local Group Policy Editor and restart Windows to finalize the changes.

Let me know if this will work.

Thanks and regards,

RichardGuerzon, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Windows 7 Ultimate (64) Security updates not installing.

I have been having problems in installing the updates that I have listed below. For each update I attempted to install them individually but they would not install. I also downloaded the SURT 6.1 KB947821 v27. The problem has been going on now for about 2 months. (whenever the issue with the updates comes to mind I am never near my pc). Thank you in advance.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2838727)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2757638)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2785220)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2790113)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813170)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813430)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2839894)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2726535)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2773072)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2786400)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2798162)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2808679)

autigerfan, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Rob_U Win User

windows security smart card problem after update

Windows Security is no longer recognizing my CAC reader (Smart Card reader)

Windows Security seems to have randomly stopped recognizing my CAC reader, this happened early September.

Typically whenever I access a website that needs my CAC (email, DTS, etc), it prompts me to select my name from a list of credentials, which I do. Then a box pops up from Windows Security asking me to select a smart card device, I click the only option
    and proceed and that's about it.

Now, though, when windows security prompts me to select a smart card device, there is no option. Instead, it simply says "connect a smart card."

I have tried with three different smart cards, all of which operate on other computers, none on mine. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media as well as the Device Manager both recognize the CAC reader when plugged in. I've uninstalled the device from device
    manager, reinstalled it and also updated the driver from the product's website.

To me, it seems that the computer is still recognizing the reader and the software is there - but Windows Security is somehow blocking the system from accessing/recognizing/allowing the reader.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows 10 and the CAC reader is ActivIdentity's USB Reader v3.0, P/N: ZFG-9820GAC

Rob_U, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

windows security smart card problem after update

1. windows security smart card problem after update - Similar Threads - security smart card

2. Windows security asking for a smart card

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows security asking for a smart card: Good morning everyone, I have to occasionally use a smart card reader to access work-related websites. I have the issue where windows gives me 3-5 popups whenever I start my computer asking for a smart card. It will also occasionally ask for a smart card when I attempt to...
  3. Smart Card Reader problem after update 1909

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Smart Card Reader problem after update 1909: Hello, I recently updated to 1909 18363.657. After the update my USB Smart Card reader doesn't work. I have 2 different brands of reader and both don't work. Both worked prior to the update. I don't have problems with other USB devices. I have the latest driver from...
  4. Windows Security (Smart Card Pin)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security (Smart Card Pin): Everytime I boot in, Windows Security prompts me to enter my Common Access Card. Even if I boot without my CAC Reader in. It only started doing this after the recent update. I've disabled the CAC Reader Driver, uninstalled DoD Certs and reinstalled, created a new profile and...
  5. Windows Security Repeated Smart Card Prompting

Windows Security Repeated Smart Card Prompting: When starting/restarting my PC, I get this windows security prompt to connect a smart card. I click cancel or x out of it, and it will show up another 5-10 times. This only happens when the PC is starting up. I searched for online results, and done things people have posted...
  6. Windows update - smart card reader problems

Windows update - smart card reader problems: Hi! After last windows 10 update my laptop do not read usb smart cards no smart cards reader. Windows 10 home 1909 10.12.2019. 18363.535 Please help me. Kind regards! Marko Marković...
  7. Windows Security Smart Card popup

Windows Security Smart Card popup: When starting my computer I get the popup attached below, it comes up and has to be dismissed a total of four times. This happens on two different Windows 10 devices I use. I use a smart card to access enterprise webmail on occasion and that works without issue. I do not use...
  8. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.: Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device...
  9. About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

About the security of Virtual Smart Cards: Hello all, Trying to have a good overview about the security of Virtual Smart Cards relying on TPMs, I read this very short article (the only I found) covering this topic (first part):...
  10. Smart Card Reader driver problem

Smart Card Reader driver problem: Hello! So, I ended up here because I didn't know what else to do. I have a problem with my Smart Card Reader(ID-Card). Windows doesn't let me install drivers for it manually, neither did it install them automatically. It all happened after updating Windows to the Anniversary...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows security smart card prompt windows 10

2. recent windows update smart cards no longer work