Windows 10: Windows Security - Virus & Threat Protection won't update

Discus and support Windows Security - Virus & Threat Protection won't update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, No matter what I tried, windows virus & threat protection won't update and will display an error. Based on people who had similar problems,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by paulC86_194, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Windows Security - Virus & Threat Protection won't update

Hi,

No matter what I tried, windows virus & threat protection won't update and will display an error.

Based on people who had similar problems, here is what I tried, with no success:

1 used the windows update troubleshooter

2 used the "sfc /scannow" command, followed by "DISM.exe/Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

3 tried to trigger an update using the following command content of "MpCmdRun.log" at the end of this post:

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]cd %ProgramFiles%\Windows DefenderMpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignaturesMpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate[/COLOR]

4 tried to install the update manually from this link

5 tried to update through windows update, and found that there was a new update version 20H2, which could not be installed in the end

Here is a link showing screenshots of all the steps above.

My system: windows 10 64 bits

I have no idea what was installed 2 weeks ago that could have caused this issue.

Here is a log that seems to give more info on the issue: "MpCmdRun.log"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MpCmdRun: Command Line: MpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures

Start Time: ‎Mon ‎Mar ‎29 ‎2021 18:20:51

MpEnsureProcessMitigationPolicy: hr = 0x1

Start: MpRemoveDefinitions0

Finish: MpRemoveDefinitions

MpCmdRun: End Time: ‎Mon ‎Mar ‎29 ‎2021 18:20:52

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MpCmdRun: Command Line: MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate

Start Time: ‎Mon ‎Mar ‎29 ‎2021 18:21:19

MpEnsureProcessMitigationPolicy: hr = 0x1

Start: MpSignatureUpdate

Calling MpUpdateStartEx with option 0x1

Update started

Search Started MU/WU update Path: https://fe2cr.update.microsoft.com/v6/...

Time Info - ‎Mon ‎Mar ‎29 ‎2021 18:21:31 Search Completed

Download Started...

Download Completed

Download Completed

Installation Started...

Time Info - ‎Mon ‎Mar ‎29 ‎2021 18:23:14 Installation Completed

Search Started Direct HTTP Path: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=851034&clcid=0x409&arch=x64&eng=1.1.17900.7&avdelta=1.333.509.0&asdelta=1.333.509.0&prod=77BDAF73-B396-481F-9042-AD358843EC24&ostype=0&signaturetype=0&beta=0&plat=4.18.2102.4&OsVersion=10.0.19041.867&altlocation=0...

Download Started...

Download Completed

Installation Started...

Time Info - ‎Mon ‎Mar ‎29 ‎2021 18:25:23 Update failed with hr: 0x80070020

Installation Completed

Search Started Direct HTTP Path: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=870379&clcid=0x409&arch=x64&eng=1.1.17900.7&avdelta=1.333.509.0&asdelta=1.333.509.0&prod=77BDAF73-B396-481F-9042-AD358843EC24&ostype=0&signaturetype=0&beta=0&plat=4.18.2102.4&OsVersion=10.0.19041.867&altlocation=0...

Installation Completed

Update completed with hr: 0x80070020

ERROR: Signature Update failed with hr=80070020

MpCmdRun.exe: hr = 0x80070020.

MpCmdRun: End Time: ‎Mon ‎Mar ‎29 ‎2021 18:25:24

I am running out of suggestions... any ideas?

:)

paulC86_194, Mar 29, 2021

2. Windows security Virus & threat protection.

Windows security Virus & threat protection tells me that "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization" Something is wrong since I don't have an organization. Please help

Charles RKetron, Mar 29, 2021
  3. gep990 Win User
    virus threat protection on in windows security

why can't I turn virus threat protection on in windows security

gep990, Mar 29, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows Security - Virus & Threat Protection won't update

Virus threat protection

Hi Valentin

As an alternative approach, you can allow that utility through the Controlled Folder Access section of WIndows 10 security . . .

Open Windows Defender Security Center

Go to Virus & threat protection - Virus & threat protection settings

Scroll down to Controlled folder access

From there, you can add Dell Data Vault to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent it from being blocked

Please do not leave Controlled Folder Access turned off permanently

DaveM121, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

Windows Security - Virus & Threat Protection won't update

1. Windows Security - Virus & Threat Protection won't update - Similar Threads - Security Virus Threat

2. Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security: My Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security will not load.Circle just spins. Thanks, J https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-in-windows-security/3e8c49f0-f3d3-49c2-ae5d-276fbb032981
  3. virus threat protection on in windows security

virus threat protection on in windows security: why can't I turn virus threat protection on in windows security https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-on-in-windows-security/4b908ecd-e61d-41d4-b711-80cbe629d7d3
  4. Windows Security: Virus & threat protection updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Security: Virus & threat protection updates: I'm getting a warning that my Virus & threat protection updates definitions are out of date. I click on the "Check for updates" button and have trying to update for almost two hours. How long does it usually take to update a new definition?...
  5. Virus and threat protection won't update

Virus and threat protection won't update: i let it sit for hours and hours and it's still looking for the update, i tried restart and everything but nothing works, i wanna be able to update my protection i'm running windows 10...
  6. Windows security Virus & threat protection.

Windows security Virus & threat protection.: Windows security Virus & threat protection tells me that "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization" Something is wrong since I don't have an organization. Please help...
  7. Windows Security - Virus & threat protection won't restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security - Virus & threat protection won't restart: [ATTACH] Hi team, It's been a couple of days now and I tried letting it fix itself but can't seem to restart my Virus & threat protection. If I restart it, it says it encountered a problem. Has anybody encountered the same thing?...
  8. Virus And Threat Protection Won't Scan For Viruses And Threats

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virus And Threat Protection Won't Scan For Viruses And Threats: Im having a problem on my windows 10. The problem is my "Virus And Threat Protection" wont scan for viruses and threats. I keep tapping Quick Scan,Full Scan,Custom Scan and it doesn't even do anything and it just say's "No current threats." "Last scan: Not available" But...
  9. Windows Security Virus and threat protection

Windows Security Virus and threat protection: Something's wrong with the windows security scanners. Both the quick and full scan is not fully working properly. They only scan up to 49 files not complete the whole job they were designed to do. Once it reaches 49 the notification says the scan is complete. I need to know...
  10. security - virus & threat protection

security - virus & threat protection: My computer is showing virus & threat protection is managed by my organization. We are a small office and each computer should only have Windows Defender running. We also had Malwarebytes. I deleted Malwarebytes but now I cannot run Defender. I don't see any other...