Windows 10: Windows Sees Hard Drive Connected to Router via USB as a Media Device.

Discus and support Windows Sees Hard Drive Connected to Router via USB as a Media Device. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently hooked up a hard drive to my Netgear Night Hawk R6400. I wanted to be able to play my media on my SmartTV but also be able to use it as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MizMelzy76, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Windows Sees Hard Drive Connected to Router via USB as a Media Device.

I recently hooked up a hard drive to my Netgear Night Hawk R6400. I wanted to be able to play my media on my SmartTV but also be able to use it as well to download and save files to. My Windows 10 64bit HP 15 Touchsmart Laptop sees the hard drive, but as a media device. Everything in my router is set up to share the drive. It's specified to give it a drive letter and everything. But Windows 10 still sees it as a media device.

How do I get it to see it as an actual drive so I can access files on it and save to it? I have googled the question and one suggestion was to disable IPv6 which I did and restarted my computer but nothing. Still sees it as a media device.

Thanks!

Mel

:)

MizMelzy76, Mar 29, 2020
  2. zmlc29 Win User

network and internet

this hard drive is not connected to my computer, it is connected to my wireless router.

after scanning for hardware changes as you suggested in step one, there is no usb hard drive
    listed on my computer, either in the device manager, or in the network list in file manager which includes both computers connected to the router. this computer is recognizing the router, internet, and other computers connected to the router.
    it is not recognizing the hard drive connected tot he wireless router.

I checked my wireless router to see if the usb hard drive is discoverable and verified that it is.

zmlc29, Mar 29, 2020
  3. geonerd Win User
    Unable to Access USB Drive on Wifi Router from laptop

I am using an **** Surfboard AC1750 router that has a USB port. I have a USB drive plugged into this port. My desktop is connected to an ethernet port on the router. My laptop (Windows 10 with latest update) connects
    to the wifi network.

I am able to see and access the USB drive on the wifi router from the desktop.

From my laptop, the USB drive on the wifi router shows up as a Media Device. So I can see some of the images/photos stored on the USB drive connected to the wifi router, but not non-media files.

I use a USB dongle on laptop to access wifi. I borrowed a neighbor's laptop and connected with the same usb dongle. I am able to access the usb drive with this other laptop. I checked the settings on that computer,
    and cannot tell whats different from my laptop.

I went to the router page and made sure that file sharing was turned on.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

geonerd, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Windows Sees Hard Drive Connected to Router via USB as a Media Device.

Toshiba Ext Hard Drive

Hi Tony,

I realize that you are facing the issue connecting the external hard drive in Windows 10, let me assist you.

To assist you better, let us know the following details.

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed in your system?
    • What is the make and model of your system?
    • Do other USB devices are getting connected to the system?

As an initial step if troubleshooting, I suggest you to try connecting the external hard drive through different USB ports and check if it is getting detected, also try connecting the same external hard drive to a different Windows 10 system.

Also, connect the external hard drive to the system and check whether the device is shown in Device Manager.

• Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press
      Enter key.
    • Click on View option and click on Show hidden devices.
    • Check whether the device is shown.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows Sees Hard Drive Connected to Router via USB as a Media Device.

1. Windows Sees Hard Drive Connected to Router via USB as a Media Device. - Similar Threads - Sees Hard Drive

2. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB: I recently pulled an old Toshiba 2.5 harddrive out my a laptop whose battery had died. I was hoping to pull the data off it onto my new laptop, but my current machine simply won't recognise it. I have the drive connected via a SATA to USB cable, both USB plugs plugged in, so...
  3. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB: I recently pulled an old Toshiba 2.5 harddrive out my a laptop whose battery had died. I was hoping to pull the data off it onto my new laptop, but my current machine simply won't recognise it. I have the drive connected via a SATA to USB cable, both USB plugs plugged in, so...
  4. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  5. Viewing Folders on old hard drives in Explorer via USB connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing Folders on old hard drives in Explorer via USB connection: I've got a bunch of older hard drives, some SATA and some PATA that I've been trying to view the files on by connecting them with a Sabrent adapter and also a Vantec adapter. I've had spotty results with being able to view the disks in File Explorer. I can usually see the...
  6. Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router

Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router: I have a Western Digital My Book Essential external hard drive connected to my desktop computer by USB. I wanted to connect it instead to my Sky modem-router. Because the router does not have a USB port, I purchased a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and used this to make the connection....
  7. Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router: I have two computers (both windows 10) that I need to connect to a router that I have connected to my router. One of the computers connected just fine but the other one can not see devices on my network. I have tried many things and nothing seems to work. Any help would be...
  8. Network Media Drives, Shared folders, Router USB Hard Disk

Network Media Drives, Shared folders, Router USB Hard Disk: I know this seems odd asking on the Windows 10 forum because I am using a Netgear c3700v2 usb hard disk. Besides the commodity I have a strong problem. It appears that while I have a folder set to media share with All read access and Admin write access I have to use...
  9. Connecting An old hard drive via USB on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting An old hard drive via USB on Windows 10: Connecting An old hard drive via USB on Windows 10 the hard drive came out of the laptop that no longer functions I need to say the pictures and documents off of the but I can't seem to get Windows tend to see it it's easy to find under computer management but it says that it...
  10. Can't See 1st Router's USB When Connected to 2nd Router

Can't See 1st Router's USB When Connected to 2nd Router: First, here is my connection: I have 2 routers. The 1st one is from provider, and has USB Samba Share plugged. This router is the main one with IP 192.168.1.1. The 2nd one is in AP Mode, DHCP disabled. The IP is 192.168.1.150. Now, I have 3 PCs. 1 PC connected to the...