Windows 10: Windows September 2019 Updates: more search woes and Telemetry

Discus and support Windows September 2019 Updates: more search woes and Telemetry in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released security updates and regular updates for all versions of Windows on yesterday's September 2019 Patch Tuesday. It does not take long,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 11, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows September 2019 Updates: more search woes and Telemetry

Microsoft released security updates and regular updates for all versions of Windows on yesterday's September 2019 Patch Tuesday. It does not take long, usually, before an assessment can be made on the quality of the released updates.

Microsoft fixed the high CPU usage issue that affected some users on Windows 10 version 1903. Reports about the issue started to appear on several Internet forums after Microsoft published the cumulative update KB4512941 for Windows 10 version 1903 in early September.

The high CPU usage was caused by the Cortana process SearchUI.exe that caused the load on the system. Some administrators uninstalled the update to fix the issue, others managed to fix it by enabling Bing Web Search on the system it it was disabled.

The release notes for KB4515384 for Windows 10 version 1903 and Windows Server version 1903 highlight that Microsoft fixed the issue:

Addresses an issue that causes high CPU usage from SearchUI.exe for a small number of users. This issue only occurs on devices that have disabled searching the web using Windows Desktop Search.

I received several emails in the past 24 hours by users who informed me that search is still broken on their systems after installing the latest patch. A thread on Reddit provides further user reports on the issue.

According to the reports, search is not working for some users. Whenever they run searches, a blank results page is shown; this appears to be the most common issue that users experience.

The number of systems affected by this is unclear. Microsoft has not acknowledged the issue.

Administrators could restore an earlier version of the operating system to fix the issue. It is too early to tell if workarounds, e.g. changing Bing Search parameters, may address the issue as well.

Telemetry on Windows 7 / 8.1

Windows September 2019 Updates: more search woes and Telemetry september-2019-updates-telemetry.png

Microsoft releases security-only updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 that are designed to patch vulnerabilities only in those versions of Windows.

The company added non-security related patches to the security-only updates in the past; this happened when Microsoft released the July update for Windows 7 SP1 and appears to have happened again with the September 2019 update.

Ghacks user Belga stated that two Telemetry tasks were added on a system running Windows 8.1 after installation of the security-only update for Windows 8.1, and a report on Ask Woody suggests that Microsoft replaced the compatibility update KB2952664 on this patch day which contains Telemetry.

When you open the Windows 7 SP1 update KB4516033 on the Microsoft Update Catalog you will notice that KB2952664 is listed as one of the updates that the new update replaces.

Closing Words

In this day and age, it seems like a good idea to wait with the installation of updates at least for a short while to to make sure that they are free of issues or undesirable changes.

Now You: Did you install the September 2019 updates already?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks/). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows September 2019 Updates: more search woes and Telemetry appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 11, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Sep 11, 2019
  3. torre Win User
    Win10 Telemetry

Good article from ZDNet.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...on-off-switch/

torre, Sep 11, 2019
  4. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows September 2019 Updates: more search woes and Telemetry - Similar Threads - September 2019 Updates

2. More Update woes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More Update woes.: The latest windows 10 update wiped out several programs, removed the password or PIN option completely and so boots straight into windows 10. Will only open in Safe Mode and will not recognise anything to do with wifi. Most programs that are left have failed to open. Bios...
  3. More Update woes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    More Update woes.: The latest windows 10 update wiped out several programs, removed the password or PIN option completely and so boots straight into windows 10. Will only open in Safe Mode and will not recognise anything to do with wifi. Most programs that are left have failed to open. Bios...
  4. More Update woes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to disable Updates, Telemetry and more?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable Updates, Telemetry and more?: Hi, im tired of windows downloading stuff in the background every 10 mins. How do i disable Updates and any kind of information windows can download in the background? I have a 200kb/s connection and very limited, already set to metered connection but windows doesn't seem...
  6. Windows Update September 2019

Windows Update September 2019: This update completely messed up my settings. I was logged out of all my accounts. None of the security settings I configured are available any more. This has been a huge time waste!...
  7. Windows 10 September 2019 Update Issues

Windows 10 September 2019 Update Issues: I downloaded the update and find that my Start bar and Search bar have disappeared. They were there after the initial re-boot, but now have disappeared. It's getting annoying to re-start my computer only to get them back temporarily. Please advise....
  8. September 2019 update with BSOD at reboot

September 2019 update with BSOD at reboot: I updated my windows to September 2019. Upon restart I got blue screen of death. The stop code is PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. This is the first time I have BSOD after so many windows updates. I have to press the power button to force my computer to restart to let it do...
  9. Windows 10 update September 10 2019

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update September 10 2019: Hi everyone! Ok so i have a desktop setup using 2 monitors 1 using HDMI as my main display and display 2 using a VGA to USB adaptor(fresco logic fl2000 usb display adapter to be more specific) i had problems with my second monitor flickering and i learned i had to update...
  10. Windows Update (September 2019)

Windows Update (September 2019): Hello, I have twice tried to update Windows with the latest support edition and twice it has run all night and jammed at 66%. I left it a further 4 hours to try and sort it self out but in the end I had to close my computer, physically. On re start it said " Undoing...