Windows 10: WIndows Server 2012 - DNS setting slost overnight - fixed by re-boot

Discus and support WIndows Server 2012 - DNS setting slost overnight - fixed by re-boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Windows server 2012 which has been running perfectly until some windows updates were installed. Now the DNS settings seem to get 'lost' over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GemmaReilly, Dec 11, 2018.

1. WIndows Server 2012 - DNS setting slost overnight - fixed by re-boot

I have a Windows server 2012 which has been running perfectly until some windows updates were installed. Now the DNS settings seem to get 'lost' over night. If i reboot the server the settings come back again but are then lost again overnight.

I have tried eliminating overnight backups etc as causing the problem but can only put it down to a windows update causing this.

Can someone help me please?

:)

GemmaReilly, Dec 11, 2018

2. DNS Servers

So far, it seems like I got it fixed. I disabled Advanced DNS Service and DNS Relay. I put in the two DNS server IPs I listed above into the internet configuration and rebooted it.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 12, 2018
  3. GNJha Win User
    Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Dec 12, 2018
  4. LeonLaude Win User

WIndows Server 2012 - DNS setting slost overnight - fixed by re-boot

DNS SERVER NOT RESONDING

Hi Rita French,

This issue often occurs when the DNS settings are incorrect. I suggest you to perform the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1:

I would recommend you to change the Preferred DNS server and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run window, type
      ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
    • Right-click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click
      Properties.
    • In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the Preferred DNS server to
    • Click OK twice to complete the modification.

Note: If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Method 2:

If that does not help, try to flush the DNS. Follow these steps below.

• From Start screen, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Type: ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Note: The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well
    as, any other dynamically added entries.

Hope any of these methods help!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

WIndows Server 2012 - DNS setting slost overnight - fixed by re-boot

1. WIndows Server 2012 - DNS setting slost overnight - fixed by re-boot - Similar Threads - Server 2012 DNS

2. Server 2012 R2 Can't Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server 2012 R2 Can't Boot: We cannot boot our Server 2012 R2 Hyper V Vm. It is running AD, DNS, and DHCP. We get to the automatic startup repair screen, and have tried to run operating system repairs but to no luck.It continues to boot into a loop and we can't get past it....
  3. Server 2012 R2 Can't Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Server 2012 R2 Can't Boot: We cannot boot our Server 2012 R2 Hyper V Vm. It is running AD, DNS, and DHCP. We get to the automatic startup repair screen, and have tried to run operating system repairs but to no luck.It continues to boot into a loop and we can't get past it....
  4. DNS Server on Windows Server 2012 does not pass basic, delegations, dynamic updates, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Server on Windows Server 2012 does not pass basic, delegations, dynamic updates, and...: C:\Users\Administrator>DCDiag /c /v Directory Server Diagnosis Performing initial setup: Trying to find home server... * Verifying that the local machine server1, is a Directory Server. Home Server = server1 * Connecting to directory service on server server1 *...
  5. DNS Server on Windows Server 2012 does not pass basic, delegations, dynamic updates, and...

DNS Server on Windows Server 2012 does not pass basic, delegations, dynamic updates, and...: C:\Users\Administrator>DCDiag /c /v Directory Server Diagnosis Performing initial setup: Trying to find home server... * Verifying that the local machine server1, is a Directory Server. Home Server = server1 * Connecting to directory service on server server1 *...
  6. fix DNS server is not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fix DNS server is not responding: I am getting a troubleshooting response "the DNS server is not responding" . I am using W10. Is there a Microsoft fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-dns-server-is-not-responding/845380f8-a1f5-463b-b197-cd424f338502
  7. fix DNS server is not responding

fix DNS server is not responding: I am getting a troubleshooting response "the DNS server is not responding" . I am using W10. Is there a Microsoft fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-dns-server-is-not-responding/845380f8-a1f5-463b-b197-cd424f338502
  8. fix DNS server is not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. DNS server ALWAYS set to 192.168.0.1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS server ALWAYS set to 192.168.0.1: Some time ago, I landed on a network with a DHCP server we knew was misconfigured--the DNS servers had been moved, but the DHCP server was still handing out the old addresses.The vendor and version of the DNS and DHCP servers are not relevant.To get things working, I had to...
  10. DNS server ALWAYS set to 192.168.0.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS server ALWAYS set to 192.168.0.1: Some time ago, I landed on a network with a DHCP server we knew was misconfigured--the DNS servers had been moved, but the DHCP server was still handing out the old addresses.The vendor and version of the DNS and DHCP servers are not relevant.To get things working, I had to...