Windows 10: Windows Server 2016 and Remote printers

Discus and support Windows Server 2016 and Remote printers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to get remote printers to work over shared remote desktop sessions on Windows Server 2016. They were working before, now they are not, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Joel DeVenney, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Windows Server 2016 and Remote printers

I'm trying to get remote printers to work over shared remote desktop sessions on Windows Server 2016.

They were working before, now they are not, and they continue to reset themselves after I set them up. Before the remote laptops connecting were Windows 7 Pro machines, now we've upgraded them to Windows 10 Pro, that's when the problems started.

Here's the setup.

Two remote laptops both Windows 10 Pro. They are on their own remote network, outside of the network where the Windows Server 2016 is at.

They both have one HP network printer, same printer over wifi, and the one has a Star receipt printer.

Both can print locally to the HP just fine, over the wifi.

We will call the laptop with the Star receipt printer laptopX, and the other laptopY.

LaptopX can print locally to the receipt printer fine. When logged into the remote desktop session X can print fine to receipt printer, not to the HP. I have to manually create an HP printer, then point the port to the HP printer redirected. The redirected number changes each time, so each morning when they reconnect I have to go in and change the manual HP over to the port of the new redirect HP. For some reason this works and X can now print from remote session to the HP.

I'm trying to allow laptopY to print to the receipt printer, so the only way I found to do it was to create a manual printer as admin, call it Star1, and point it's port to redirected star printer from LaptopX. Under this scenario LaptopY can print to the receipt printer that LaptopX has locally. Since laptopY has the same issue that X does with the HP, I simply have them use the manual HP to print.

This is a convoluted mess, never had to do this with Windows 7 Pro, now after upgrading to 10 on the laptops this is the mess that we have. Nothing else has changed in settings since upgrading to 10, we simply installed printers locally, connected to the remote desktop session as we normally would, not I have to do all this to make it work.

Before the upgrade to 10, both could print to the local HP from the remote session, and X could print to the receipt printer fine, and Y could print to a copy I made of star pointing to the port of X so that it could print fine. This wasn't a problem before as the redirected number didn't change every morning, now it does.

:)

Joel DeVenney, Oct 24, 2018
  2. Jan123 Win User

Windows 10 Home Won't Print to Remote Printer

I have three computers.
    Machine 1: Windows 10 pro, has the USB Brother HL-5040 printer
    Machine 2: Windows 10 pro, prints OK to the remote printer.
    Machine 3: Windows 10 home, Used to print, but not anymore (THIS IS THE PROBLEM).
    I’ve tried everything that I can think of, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    I did these steps on Machine 3 that did not work.

1. Remove the printer device.
    2. Add a Printer
    3. The printer that I want isn’t listed
    4. Select a shared printer by name
    5. Browse
    6. Select the displayed Machine 1.
    7. Select the displayed Printer.
    8. Next
    9. Failure “Connect to Printer”.
    10. Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or Hostname
    11. Next
    12. Set Hostname to Machine 2, and set port name.
    13. Detecting TCP/IP Port
    14. Additional Port information required.
    15. Device Type – Standard, Brother Port Server
    16. Next
    17. Detecting the Driver Model
    18. Install The Print Driver
    19. Select Brother and Brother HL-5040
    20. Next
    21. Replace the Current Driver
    22. Printer Name (setting it to HL-5040)
    23. Next
    24. Do not share this printer
    25. Next
    26. You’ve successfully added “HL-5040”
    27. Finish
    Printing on Machine 3 puts the document in the print queue, which reports error printing.
    Printing from Machine 2 to the printer on Machine 1 works perfectly.
    All three machines are in the same HomeGroup. Machine 3 can access the shared files from Machine 1.

Jan123, Oct 24, 2018
  3. IMFMCit Win User
    Windows 2016 Server Error 0x00000003 when connecting printer to workstation

Windows server 2016 has two printers installed VIA TCP/IP.

Workstations include Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines all x64 bit.

1st printer is a Xerox Work Centre 7830 with a Work Centre 7830 PostScript Driver installed.

The printer is installed on the Windows server and prints from the server. I have shared the printer on the server and have listed it in the directory. There are additional drivers that should allow the printer to connect to a x64 device. When I try and connect
    to the printer through the directory it finds the printer,

starts to look for a driver and then fails with error code 0x00000003. This happens on all x64 bit machines both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The 2nd printer, is a SHARP MX-C300P that is installed on the 2016 server, and shared over the directory. It has a generic Microsoft PCL 6 driver. When I try and connect the printer to a windows 7 machine,I get the same 0x00000003 error. When I try to connect
    the printer to a Windows 10 machine the printer connects just fine. I have looked over all of the settings and everything seems to be working.

I have Googled this error and nothing has worked to fix it. I can provide more information but really need this fixed.

Thanks

IMFMCit, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Windows Server 2016 and Remote printers

Windows Server 2016 and Generic Text Printer

After installing Windows Server 2016 the generic text printer isn't working properly. Anyone have any ideas about this?

JudithJamison, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows Server 2016 and Remote printers

1. Windows Server 2016 and Remote printers - Similar Threads - Server 2016 Remote

2. remote desktop access window server 2016.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remote desktop access window server 2016.: Hi i'm Arslan , i have question related to remote desktop access window server 2016. when i try to access remotely ,after authenticating it pop ups the message : access denied. kindly reply me as soon as possible ,thanks in advance....
  3. remote desktop access window server 2016.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remote desktop access window server 2016.: Hi i'm Arslan , i have question related to remote desktop access window server 2016. when i try to access remotely ,after authenticating it pop ups the message : access denied. kindly reply me as soon as possible ,thanks in advance....
  4. Windows remote desktop Client Azure remote desktop for Server 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows remote desktop Client Azure remote desktop for Server 2016: Is there a installer for Windows remote desktop Client Azure remote desktop for Server 2016 for the setup of multi users in our citrix environment?We need to have Windows remote desktop Client Azure remote desktop in our hosted shared desktop and the available installer is...
  5. Windows remote desktop Client Azure remote desktop for Server 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows remote desktop Client Azure remote desktop for Server 2016: Is there a installer for Windows remote desktop Client Azure remote desktop for Server 2016 for the setup of multi users in our citrix environment?We need to have Windows remote desktop Client Azure remote desktop in our hosted shared desktop and the available installer is...
  6. Server 2016 mmc remote desktops snap-in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Server 2016 mmc remote desktops snap-in: Looks like this got phased out and I no longer see if as part of the snap in list. Is there a way to get it reinstalled, or another method to have the RDP connection? If not, what's the best alternative besides creating multiple mstsc accounts. submitted by /u/newbie702...
  7. Printer install error windows 10 / windows server 2016

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer install error windows 10 / windows server 2016: I am getting problems with printers on windows 10. I have a DC windows server 2016. I installed all printers. Shared them. Add them in GPO ... Everything is working fine ..... monthly updates .... I use HP universal printer drivers as the HP9040dn printer does not have...
  8. Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Server 2016: I've inherited some problems at a new employer related to Windows Server 2016. I know Server 2012 and older pretty well, but not 2016. The problem is that something is killing Admin Control. Admins can still log in, but things that require Admin Elevation or just admin...
  9. Printer redirection not work In windows server 2016

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer redirection not work In windows server 2016: Printer redirection not work In windows server 2016 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-redirection-not-work-in-windows-server/2a65fb37-37a4-4fb7-b27f-ecfd7b6603d6
  10. Introducing pen remoting for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing pen remoting for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016: My name is David Bélanger, and I work in the Remote Desktop team. As we get closer to the release of Windows 10 and the next technical preview of Windows Server 2016, I want to bring attention to the new pen remoting feature available in the Remote Desktop Connection client...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows server 2016 remote printer

2. server 2016 shared printer win10 share printer driver wont display in devices and printers

3. windows server 2016 add remote printer