Windows 10: Windows Server 2016 - explorer.exe restarts when I login RDP

Discus and support Windows Server 2016 - explorer.exe restarts when I login RDP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, When I connect to a Windows Server 2016, using RDP, the process explorer.exe quickly restarts (if there are open folders on the remote server,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by extreme2zx, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Windows Server 2016 - explorer.exe restarts when I login RDP

Hi,
    When I connect to a Windows Server 2016, using RDP, the process explorer.exe quickly restarts (if there are open folders on the remote server, they close because of this)...
    Is it normal?
    With Windows Server 2012, this does not happen.

:)

extreme2zx, Feb 27, 2018

2. Explorer.exe keeps crashing on a Windows Server 2016

We have exactly the same issue on a Windows Server 2016 running RDP Services (Terminal-Server).

One user experienced this issue 3 or 4 times now, only a restart can solve it (until it happens again). We recreated the user profile with another username, still the same issue.

We also noticed that sometimes within a few hours after these explorer.exe crashes are starting on this particular user, the whole VM gets stuck and has to be hard powered off (it's a VMware virtual machine).

There are 25 other users working on the same Terminal-Server with no problems.

Patrick Stumpf, Feb 27, 2018
  3. Joe.L(1) Win User
    Domain Joined Windows 7/8.1 Pro Upgrades to Windows 10?

For Small Business Servers 2008 - 2011 try the following link/guide for setting up RDP, and a few other issues SBS has with windows 10.

(not the article swaps "2008" and "2011" a fair amount, but in the comments the author claims it works for all of the above)

Introducing Windows 10 into your SBS 2008 Networks - Third Tier

Joe.L(1), Feb 27, 2018
  4. Windows Server 2016 - explorer.exe restarts when I login RDP

extreme2zx, Feb 28, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Nice work! For those disinclined to follow links, the fix involves a registry hack "Disable showing balloon notifications as toasts" in "Administrative Templates (Users)"\Start Menu and Taskbar" or as RegKey under "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" "EnableLegacyBalloonNotifications"
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Server 2016 - explorer.exe restarts when I login RDP

1. Windows Server 2016 - explorer.exe restarts when I login RDP - Similar Threads - Server 2016 explorer

2. "Search for app in the Store" prompt when double click a .exe file in windows server 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Search for app in the Store" prompt when double click a .exe file in windows server 2016: The prompt is never shown if I run the .exe file in CMD. Is it because the .exe file was not signed? Any workaround if i don't want to change the security control like Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Security > Windows SmartScreen > Warn...
  3. "Search for app in the Store" prompt when double click a .exe file in windows server 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Search for app in the Store" prompt when double click a .exe file in windows server 2016: The prompt is never shown if I run the .exe file in CMD. Is it because the .exe file was not signed? Any workaround if i don't want to chagne the security control like Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Security > Windows SmartScreen? Thank you....
  4. "Search for app in the Store" prompt when double click a .exe file in windows server 2016

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Search for app in the Store" prompt when double click a .exe file in windows server 2016: The prompt is never shown if I run the .exe file in CMD. Is it because the .exe file was not signed? Any workaround if i don't want to chagne the security control like Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Security > Windows SmartScreen? Thank you....
  5. RDP Clipboard - Windows 10 to/from Server 2016/2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP Clipboard - Windows 10 to/from Server 2016/2019: I have been on every possible reference to this issue on the internet.Allow me to explain:We ran updates on 3 servers last week.I also ran an update on my Win10 PRO box.Since then it has become impossible to use the clipboard as I used to.I have modified die GP to disable...
  6. RDP Clipboard - Windows 10 to/from Server 2016/2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP Clipboard - Windows 10 to/from Server 2016/2019: I have been on every possible reference to this issue on the internet.Allow me to explain:We ran updates on 3 servers last week.I also ran an update on my Win10 PRO box.Since then it has become impossible to use the clipboard as I used to.I have modified die GP to disable...
  7. RDP Clipboard - Windows 10 to/from Server 2016/2019

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Unable to RDP from Windows 10 to Windows 2016 server

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to RDP from Windows 10 to Windows 2016 server: Hi Everyone, Since Friday, possibly after a windows update, we are not able to connect via RDP to a Windows 2016 standard server. My RDP is correctly configured on the server as we had no problems before. I noticed that when I restart the Remote Desktop Services, we are...
  9. RDP first login after restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP first login after restart: Greetings, I have a home server and manage it via RDP. Sadly, this technology is pretty non-stable and every time I restart the server, I get an error when I try to log in to my server. It says, that "The number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections...
  10. RDP Windows 7, 10 and iOS to 2016 server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP Windows 7, 10 and iOS to 2016 server: I am perplexed. We have a new Win 2016 standard server (4 day old) using RDP as an administrator to configure and monitor etc. RDP from any Microsoft OS, tested from Win server 2008R2, Win 7 pro, latest WIN10 pro connects, drops out, retries, connects ... and so it loops....
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer not running server 2016

2. explorer.exe chashed on windows 2016 server rdp

3. remote desktop explorer keeps restrting

4. what explorer.exe crashes on rdp,
  5. windows server 2016 WINDOWS EXPLORER,
  6. rdp server 2016 TwinUI.dll explorer.exe crash,
  7. server 2016 explorer crashing,
  8. RDP flashing desktop explorer.exe is carshing on server 2016,
  9. server 2016 explorer hung on logon,
  10. windows 2016 rdp remove explorer,